AUSTRALIANS: Lumia 950 XL/ Lumia 950 Waiting Game/ 1st Impression/ Review/ roblems

braddo

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Picked one up from Harvey Norman yesterday, only one in Newcastle (for them) according to their inventory. I've got limited net access and data allowance at the moment so it's not set up how I want it just yet, but it's enough for me to use. Still have a lot of updates to do as well. From the little time I've had with it I'm liking it a lot. Camera works well, although I've only taken a couple of quick snaps to test it out. Windows Hello works great, no trouble with it for me. Screen is very nice, and the OS runs very well on the hardware. Snappy and no loading/resuming screens.
The phone feels very nice, I picked this up to replace an iPhone 6+ and I don't think it feels cheap after a year with the metal bodied iPhone. It's not Galaxy S2-5 thin, cheap feeling plastic that's for sure.
I checked out apps before getting the phone (have had a 930 and 640XL in the past so already had an idea), and my most used ones are there in some form. The ones missing are ones I don't use often so won't miss them. Lost a couple of games, but picked up a few good ones, such as Siegefall and Plague inc (not much to this game but it's addictive). I've got an iPad so can still use the games/apps at home, so not a total loss. Hopefully the iOS bridge is a success and we see more apps come across, if universal apps aren't made.

Only issue I've come across so far is not being able to download the Australian keyboard (known issue), hopefully that's fixed soon. Double tap to wake would be nice and is said to be getting added sometime.
No free dock in the Lumia offers app, which is a bit of a letdown considering I bought the phone outright. Apparently Optus customers get the dock free, on top of the Xbox, lucky buggers. I would have jumped on the deal but unfortunately Optus service where we have just moved to is terrible. My wife is with them and she hates it.

Overall I'm happy. For the way I use my phones it will cover my needs nicely. I also have a Surface 3 and Xbox One, so that's a couple of other reasons I went for the Lumia and decided to give the iPhone a break. Whether that's temporary or permanent I'll see over the next few months with the 950XL.

Microsoft fan in newy woohoowoohoo

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
The comments from people saying the firmware update improved things significantly is what pushed me to take the plunge. Yeah, there are the Surface phone rumours, but that's still a ways off even if they do pan out, and who knows how much it'll be and whether there will be much carrier support here even if we do get it? I needed a new phone now, so buying one outright was my best option. So, after a lot of umming and ahhing, I plonked down the cash for one on Expansys. I know grey market imports are a bit controversial, but a sale is a sale, right?

Just need to play the waiting game now, hopefully it arrives by Friday. Will do a follow up post then :)

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
be wary of the latest redstone builds. I had no problems, then i had nothing but problems.

im back on production builds now, ill wait a few more redstone builds before i upgrade again.

was fast and fluid though. certainly worked well when it was working!

cdayo

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
be wary of the latest redstone builds. I had no problems, then i had nothing but problems.

im back on production builds now, ill wait a few more redstone builds before i upgrade again.

was fast and fluid though. certainly worked well when it was working!

I had major problems on the first redstone two redstone builds. But the 14283 really did the trick. Only prob is the known bug that affects syncing with ms band 2.

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I had major problems on the first redstone two redstone builds. But the 14283 really did the trick. Only prob is the known bug that affects syncing with ms band 2.

awesome! keep us updated. what phone do you have and what firmware?

once i did the firmware update i had problems with redstone builds, but now the production builds are perfect whereas before .71 and .124 etc would munch battery

teiva

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I was on redstone build .1004 and it worked fairly well except for reading out messages on Bluetooth. I went back to production running .164 and the latest firmware. Everything is running quite well. Am very happy with it.

cdayo

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
awesome! keep us updated. what phone do you have and what firmware?

once i did the firmware update i had problems with redstone builds, but now the production builds are perfect whereas before .71 and .124 etc would munch battery

Using optus variant with firmware 16025.39014

m1dawkins

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I purchased my 950XL at MS store Sydney on Sun 28/02 and was told the free dock offer was on until 31/03. I have only just been able to access the Lumia Offers app as had to wait for a new SIM and only have the Office 365 offer available.

I have emailed my receipt to the lumiapromotions email address, is there anything else I should try to see if the offer appears?

Presume I don't need to select US as my region as the offer is on in Australia.

Thanks

Received my free display dock today ☺ was ordered on the 10/03 after complaining to the lumiapromotions team. Good Result. 👍

vader42

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I have bought my last (insert a large number here) phones online. Australia is exceptionally expensive when it comes to phones. I picked up my 950XL for $650 oz dollars from becextech. Unlocked, no problems. Took about a week from order to playing. Much better than $960 from Optus and 1100-1200 from Harvey Norman.

Had no problems with localisation - and I got all the firmware updates straight away.

sst154

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi, doesn't becextech charge like $70 for shipping? So, is that price considering the shipping costs?
If you have already received the phone, did it come in sealed box and can you confirmed the phone is not refurbished or something like that? (ie. by looking at the total call duration counter)
Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon