02-10-2017 01:56 PM
609 ... 2122232425
tools
    It's construction is as good as anything out there in the same class.
    What other devices do you consider to be in the same class as the 950?
    02-03-2016 08:10 AM
    I bought a Lumia 950 before Christmas when my current contract ran out. I was on a iPhone 5s and went and had a look at the iPhone 6s and the many Android offerings. I felt the iPhone 6s was rubbish, over priced, over hyped and very tired. I feel out of love with my iPhone 5s last year and was looking for a change and when I checked out the 6s there was nothing there for me, plus I would have had to pay an additional 50% extra on my month bill just to get one.

The only Android handset that caught my eye was the Sony Xperia Z5 but it felt very laggy and slow and the reviews I read didn't rate it much, the rest of the Android handsets were very Meh! The Samsung S6 which was raved about looks like Tomy's my first Smartphone, I was not impressed at all.

For the first time since getting the iPhone 4 (my first smartphone) I actually sat down and decided what I needed and wanted from a mobile device and this time because I was actually thinking about it instead of going 'oh shiny' I'll have one of those iPhones, I considered the entire eco-system of iCloud, Google and Windows 10.

As soon as I picked up and started to play with the Lumia 950 I decided I needed to spend more time looking into it as a serious contender. It didn't take me long and I ordered it. Is it perfect, no, but it ticks 99% of my boxes. Is it missing some apps, only 1 for me, but I can understand other people missing Snapchat and the such like, but for me it has what I want and need.

What as amazed me over the past couple of months is how much I like the Tiles and list of Apps rather than the millions of icons i.e from IOS and Android. The screen is gorgeous, the cosmetic design is lovely, but I would have liked a slightly more solid back, but it's not an issue. The screen colours and temp options are great, the OS Mail App is some much nicer than Gmail or Mail on iOS. The overall format of the OS is some much nicer and individual app formats are some much nicer in W10. Yes there are some like the native Twitter App that isn't that nice looking with the huge banners, but I really like TubeCast over the iOS native Youtube app surprisingly.

Oh I love that I have 32GB and now a 128GB Card in too, not the 16GB fixed iPhone memory.

For me it is a combination of many things with the phone and OS I like, Microsoft did really well. It is just a shame that they started off so far behind and Apple cornered the market so much. As someone who has had an iPhone since 2011, iPhones are over rated, over hyped and over expensive.

I am concerned though reading the 'Windows Phone is Dead' Click Bait articles, and really want so facts to come out about the future of Windows 10 Mobile. I have stopped my purchase of Surface 3 and Office 365 for the moment until I hear more, but really want to replace my aged and almost dead (from bloated software updates) iPad, as well as my Macbook Pro which I will keep as a photo editor only as I need a more portable device that does't need half the power my laptop has. If I had to move from W10m then I would choose a OnePlusX, I am done with iPhones and I would only choose the OnePlusX because it 200 the cheapest best phone on Android, I do not want to pay 500-600 for an Android device because of the Android/Google platform.

All in All, I love the Lumia 950 and Windows 10 Mobile and really hope whatever Microsoft do, they allow me to have a mobile device that is on parr with the Lumia 950 and it integrates nicely with a Surface 3 or 4 (not pro). If that is the case it will be bye bye Apple completely. iPad and Macbook Pro out and Surface In.
    RumoredNow, otv1, Mach_E and 1 others like this.
    02-03-2016 11:33 AM
    My att 950 was delivered last Thursday. I decided yesterday to sell it. Why you ask, it ran hot, no tap to wake, it's built like a cheap Samsung from 2011. The 950 is just not that nice of a phone. I prefer nice design and quality construction. I'd rather use my HTC M8 WP.
    Curious as to why you ordered it? All the things you mentioned have been reported since it launched. Just wanted to see for yourself it the rumors were true?
    02-03-2016 12:18 PM
    I didn't do nearly enough research b4 I ordered it. Even if I had done the research I understand the nature of forums and so called expert reviews. I like to experience new devices for myself. It cost me a little to do so but it's something I really like so I accept the losses as a part of the hobby.

I'm still a WP or Win10Mo fan but this new hardware isn't for me. I like my HTC M8 and I just ordered a mint condition 1520. This will be my 3rd 1520 but the other 2 were during the WP 8.1 era. I want to try it with 10.

What Windows10 Mobile really needs to become a major player is a refined, finished OS, a narrowing of the app gap and for the big android manufacturers to offer the OS on a wide variety of their devices. The way HTC did with the M8. A Samsung Note 5 with Windows and a LG G4 with Windows would be game changers.

If the hardware is left to Microsoft we're in serious trouble.
    02-03-2016 03:20 PM
    I was hoping to be really happy with this phone...but

No Chrome...no firefox. No method of importing bookmarks from either to Edge (native browser installed)
    Edge can not be installed on Windows 7 (my "corporate" work laptop) - I've not tried it with my Win 8.1 machine at home but one of the strengths of Chrome is the cross platform sync, I can basically move from device to device and all my passwords and bookmarks...and even recent or open pages sync with me. From iphone and ipod to Win7 Laptop to Win8.1 media server machine at home to 'droid phone and 'droid tab....no matter what device I am using...my recent activity is visible and my passwords/bookmarks are present making for a seamless user experience.
    I was hoping for the same with MS....but as I am unable to install edge anywhere except a Windows 10 machine it looks like I am going to be dissapointed.
    With the launch of the Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Book, which really are works of art in terms of hardware design, and the hardware spec of the Lumia 950, and all the good things that MS have done with Hotmail/Live/Outlook I really thought that they had "got it" that it's about being able to shift across devices and have everything shift with you. I now realise that I have committed myself to a walled garden with nothing in it until I can get a new phone.

Battery life....the battery basically just evaporates.Shorter usage time than my (4 year old?) iPhone 4S

I'm actually pretty gutted about getting this phone. If I could I would return it as "not fit for purpose."
    02-03-2016 04:58 PM
    I'm so glad that my previous post, outlining my thoughts regarding this phone will not appear until they have been moderated...because at least this means that somebody in a position of influence might read my post and pass some of those thoughts onto somebody who can make a difference...
    If the post does not appear ever....well....what could be read into that?
    02-03-2016 05:01 PM
    I'm so glad that my previous post, outlining my thoughts regarding this phone will not appear until they have been moderated...because at least this means that somebody in a position of influence might read my post and pass some of those thoughts onto somebody who can make a difference...
    If the post does not appear ever....well....what could be read into that?
    Some posts from new members end up in the mod queue due to the forum software in order to prevent spam. Mods are all volunteers, so we may not be available to check and approve posts immediately.

Once we do approve enough posts, then the forum software shouldn't put your posts in the mod queue.

I hope this helps. ☺️
    02-03-2016 05:34 PM
    I was hoping to be really happy with this phone...but

No Chrome...no firefox. No method of importing bookmarks from either to Edge (native browser installed)
    Edge can not be installed on Windows 7 (my "corporate" work laptop) - I've not tried it with my Win 8.1 machine at home but one of the strengths of Chrome is the cross platform sync, I can basically move from device to device and all my passwords and bookmarks...and even recent or open pages sync with me. From iphone and ipod to Win7 Laptop to Win8.1 media server machine at home to 'droid phone and 'droid tab....no matter what device I am using...my recent activity is visible and my passwords/bookmarks are present making for a seamless user experience.
    I was hoping for the same with MS....but as I am unable to install edge anywhere except a Windows 10 machine it looks like I am going to be dissapointed.
    With the launch of the Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Book, which really are works of art in terms of hardware design, and the hardware spec of the Lumia 950, and all the good things that MS have done with Hotmail/Live/Outlook I really thought that they had "got it" that it's about being able to shift across devices and have everything shift with you. I now realise that I have committed myself to a walled garden with nothing in it until I can get a new phone.

Battery life....the battery basically just evaporates.Shorter usage time than my (4 year old?) iPhone 4S

I'm actually pretty gutted about getting this phone. If I could I would return it as "not fit for purpose."
    If you use Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs and won't be updating to Windows 10 any time soon (such as if your workplace isn't updating) a Windows 10 Mobile device probably won't work for you. There is no Internet Explorer for Windows 10 Mobile, and there is no Edge for any desktop Windows other than Windows 10. There are no browsers such as Firefox or Chrome for Windows 10 Mobile.

If you need to sync all these PCs with your phone, you would probably be better off returning the 950 for an iPhone or Android device.
    jasqid likes this.
    02-03-2016 05:48 PM
    I didn't do nearly enough research b4 I ordered it. Even if I had done the research I understand the nature of forums and so called expert reviews. I like to experience new devices for myself. It cost me a little to do so but it's something I really like so I accept the losses as a part of the hobby.
    Fair enough. I was curious.

I'm still a WP or Win10Mo fan but this new hardware isn't for me. I like my HTC M8
    Loved my HTC One M8 except for the camera, which was terrible. To me the camera is one of those things that I don't use too often, but when I do, I want good pictures. The colors on the M8, esp. the blacks, weren't nearly as good. I could have lived with the colors, but the camera was just a deal breaker. I knew it wasn't up to the Lumia standard going in but was very disappointed in it.

What Windows10 Mobile really needs to become a major player is a refined, finished OS, a narrowing of the app gap and for the big android manufacturers to offer the OS on a wide variety of their devices. The way HTC did with the M8. A Samsung Note 5 with Windows and a LG G4 with Windows would be game changers.
    The OS will get to a refined point over time - and I don't think that is too far off. The other two, though, the app gap and third party hardware? That's a chicken & egg problem: why would LG or Samsung make a WP (or a developer make apps) when no one buys them and no one buys them because the apps are missing and hardware is not there (even including the 950). The only thing that might make a difference is if the universal strategy pays off and developers see enough of an opportunity in Windows on the desktop and it's easy enough to add the UI for the phone and the apps start coming. Then maybe the hardware will follow, and then maybe people will buy them. I'd really like to think it will work out that way but I don't think it will.

The sad part? The integration between Windows (desktop) and Windows (phone) is getting better and better and people are missing out.
    mattdodwell and jyapyuco like this.
    02-04-2016 01:07 PM
    So far my 950 seems to work ok with the exception of one major thing. Bluetooth just sucks. I tried to play some music on my way to work like I do every morning and it skipped really bad for a few seconds and then dropped connection. With ATT Next I am paying less than I was with my no contract 1520. I think I will go back and replace my mom's 635 stand in phone with a 950.
    02-05-2016 10:01 AM
    What other devices do you consider to be in the same class as the 950?
    I think that's already been talked to death. I can't add value to what's already been discussed everywhere online. You could try google and see what you get.
    02-16-2016 01:32 PM
    OK i took the plunge I have an iPhone 6 and i had a 1520, i picked up a 950, quick impression this phone is no 1520 its not nearly as sturdy that being said i still think its a decent phone, not going to get a new back cover as i will be putting it in a case. i'm putting on the .29 build now and will come back on my experiences
    02-16-2016 06:52 PM
    Set it all up, got my apps installed and contacts transferred and so far i'm digging the phone, it updated to version.29 of the FW and that took awhile, i'm noticing a little loading lag but not as bad as I've seen on the XL, the Super Amoled screen is pretty accurate and not oversaturated as the samsung. i'm going to take it out on its first trip into work with me tomorrow see how it fairs so far i'm liking the size and the phone, ordered a case from amazon it will be here on Thursday.
    02-16-2016 11:46 PM
    So, as someone how came from a s6 edge+ i need to say i do still need to get used not not just the smaller screen but also W10 itself.
    At first glance the phone looks great however the plastic back cover can feel a bit cheap at times, however that's by far the only complaint i have on the outside of the phone. A few points so far,

- the smaller screen is something i have to get used to!
    - Since i'm so used to app's looking a specific way moving on to WPhone things look different ( not always a good thing ) But for the most part it's great
    - Screen is responsive and smooth just how i and i think all of us like to see it!
    - The camera is great, i'm not to sure if it's better than the s6 edge+ but it does look that way

There are a things however that i wished would have changed since my L800:
    As said many times the lack of Official app's like Youtube, Etc, Etc makes you want to go over to Microsoft and push them to get those app's on there platform asap.

For those asking why i made the switch to WPhone, since my contract ended i had the chance to go back into w10 phones.
    I just wanted to see how much the W10 echo system had changed since my L800 and it's improved allot since than,
    Of course there are still things that could/should be changed but only time will tell.
    I will keep updating this post if i find that it's time to update it with new findings.
    02-18-2016 07:28 AM
    I got my 950 two weeks ago. I love it :-)
    Especially the fact it charges super fast. Two hours from 0% to 100% like that... Really impressive.
    I don't like the fact it heats up while charging. Makes me avoid using it until it's at 100%. The camera is fantastic. Feel of device is nice. I like the size. I am using a back holder which is very convenient.
    Easiest OS. I tried every single phone available. I love windows 10!!
    App store is very un mature. A lot of fun apps are missing. I'm sure later on we will have them. But that is a killer for some people.
    Screen and colors is great. Keyboard is okay, nothing special. I wish they used different material for turn off and camera side button. While I am talking my fingers press them.
    jyapyuco likes this.
    02-18-2016 08:42 AM
    Actually I agree with you in many areas. But I recommend you to get the Surface 3 ASAP! I sold my MacbookPro and got a Surface 3. I am loving it. It is light, beautiful, carry it around everywhere. Use it for business 100% and for pleasure.
    I really utilize it to the max. Plex streaming directly from Surface via Cast or through iPad and Apple TV. IT is my Plex Server.
    You have to get it. It replaced my laptop and I don't feel I'm missing anything.
    Coming back to the Lumia 950 I love it as well. Only issue is heating up while charging or while over using certain apps. But other than that it's pretty nice. OS is better then iPhone and Android.
    I think Microsoft made a great move when they came out with W10. Now the connectivity between Surface 3 and 950 is fantastic.
    Next step I'm getting the Contimuum to connect my 950 to my 42 Inch TV. Connect my hard disk to continuum and I can stream movies and
    02-18-2016 08:51 AM
    I got the AT&T 950. Overall it has been a good device but the odd bugs in WM10 have been troublesome.

The phone will sometimes stop notifying me of events (calls, texts, emails, calendar/cortana reminders etc). If I open the actual app (messaging for example) the item I should have been notified about is in there. Rebooting solves it but it eventually starts doing that again.

Edge sometimes loads a blank white page instead of the actual webpage. (I can see the page in tab icon view) Manually exiting Edge (hold back then hit the X) will solve this temporarily.

On some websites, clicking a link doesnt do anything, nor does holding down on it to try and get a copy/open in tab option. Usually if I try enough times I can get it to finally work.

I've been having these issues on every Fast Ring version that has been released since the first week of Lumia 950's release so I'm hoping its a bug they havent fixed and not a goofy HW issue with the 950.
    02-26-2016 07:43 PM
    Got mine today... anything I should know? I restored from backup, but that was 2 years ago. I'm probably gonna start fresh since my photos are on SkyDrive aka OneDrive. The messages didn't come back... so I might as well start fresh. 100+ apps locked up on the install.

Anyone know tweaks or things I should do to enjoy using the device more?
    02-29-2016 11:13 PM
    Got mine today... anything I should know? I restored from backup, but that was 2 years ago. I'm probably gonna start fresh since my photos are on SkyDrive aka OneDrive. The messages didn't come back... so I might as well start fresh. 100+ apps locked up on the install.

Anyone know tweaks or things I should do to enjoy using the device more?
    Start from scratch. Updates the OS and firmware first without updating the apps. When this is done let it update all the apps and then use the Transfer my data app to get your contacts, messages etc.

Hope this helps!
    03-01-2016 02:45 AM
    I replaced my iPhone 6S with a Lumia 950 Dual Sim. Now I am using two sim cards in one phone.
    To be honest I do miss SnapChat and a Nice Twitter App. But I am okay with the current APPS on W10 and I can live without SnapChat...
    I am really enjoying the 950 and it's really fun to use. Like you said the colors and screen is amazing. Plus the Camera is excellent.
    I also sold my old MacBook Pro and I purchased a Surface 3. I love it. My iPad Air is been lying power off since I got my Surface 3. I am using my Surface as my business laptop and it's excellent. I can't complaint and I am loving it. I don't know why you canceled your order. I recommend you reorder it. It's fantastic.

Now I am using 950 and Surface 3!!!!
    Roderick Aspiras likes this.
    03-08-2016 02:03 PM
    Its so nice to read your story. Warms the heart of every Windows Phone fans.
    03-11-2016 03:32 AM
    Love the camera on the 950 it take amazing pictures. It the most important feature of the phone for me. Better than crapple 6s.

Being able to plug-in sim to have extra capacity pictures and movies when I'm traveling or out with friends is awesome feature. I only send my favorites to OneDrive (cloud).

Fast charging is really nice. Also being able to swap battery's when mine goes bad is awesome.

I love hello. If standing with a light source behind you than it doesn't work that well. Now I know that if I see my reflection to move and then I'm in.

Having native Outlook on the phone has been awesome for work. Crapple phones will not accept calendar invites, or forward them, or it sometimes will reply back a hundred times to the person who send the calendar invite. Also having direct to corporate directory and to add into phone contacts seamlessly is wonderful (to be honest not sure if crapple phone can do).

Some folks have reported issue with Edge but, it works great for me so far. All my favorites have synchronized form my Windows 10 laptop is awesome. I personally would like the industry to make mobile versions of their website or an app if possible. Hotel Tonight's site works great in Edge as one example. I will confess I'm looking forward to Bank of America app on Windows 10 phone to be able to deposit checks. You can't do that through any browser on any platform unfortunately.

I always have clear jelly case on my phone so I have no issue feel of the case. I love the fact that I can replace it and that it has wireless charging. Nice feature too!
    03-15-2016 06:43 PM
    I love my 950. It ran warm initially during what was an intense updating process, but it hasn't been an issue since. IMO, it was well worth what I paid for it.
    Player Piano likes this.
    03-28-2016 09:13 PM
    I recently had to change from T-mobile to AT&T, and while at the AT&T store, they handed me my SIM card tray backwards and I foolishly jammed it into my 925 without paying attention. Managed to get it back out with a jeweler's screwdriver... but it took one of the SIM card contacts with it and somehow killed the vibrate motor on the 925. So this week, I got a 950 from eBay on the relative cheap. So far, I'm pretty impressed, especially with the camera! I had been running Win10 preview on the 925, which was good for the most part but flaky with any moving video (enough to reboot the phone sometimes). The 950 has none of those issues and has been a pretty pleasant experience so far. I was surprised to find that the 950 still works with my DT910 charging stands, though not if I put a case on it apparently. Tried the iris scanner thing... and it works if I open my eyes wide like a psychopath, but isn't something I see me using every time I want to unlock my phone. Other than that, reception is great and the mic/speaker quality is superb. Still assessing the battery life, but so far it doesn't seem much different than my 925 was. So far, I'm pretty happy with the purchase!
    04-05-2016 11:44 AM
    In addition to this I'd recommend disconnecting your iCloud account from your Lumia 950 after transferring contact details and such. I've had issues with saving new contacts on my Lumia 950 through iCloud. It would be better to set your default contacts dictionary to Outlook.
    04-09-2016 06:14 AM
609 ... 2122232425