So, Oct. 6th event over. Best product launches by any company ever?

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Really underwhelmed with the event

It was already almost 2 hours long.... Anything longer than that makes people upset, and you definitely do not want the press upset with you.

Lol. Have you seen a White House press briefing? If you can't sit through a two and a half hour Microsoft event where Continuum and the Surface Book are introduced you need to take some ADHD pills and find another career.

And this has already been addressed. They could have cut out all the cheesy cheerleading and eliminated most of the stupid philosophy stuff. They wasted so much time trying to be cute. Just show us the products!

And I'm sure in a week or two when Dan has review units you'll get your answers.

That's true. I think that's what apple did. They had a big event and wasted everyone's time and just hoped a few weeks later Dan would clean up the mess. Sounds like a very tight, well thought through strategy for success. They should be teaching this at Ivy League MBA programs. Than can call it the "Dan Method."

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site

And you assume the opposite, so where are we?

I am not assuming. I am asking. And where we are is two guys with no information after having two hours of our lives wasted.

As someone else stated, Panos Panay stated plainly that he wasn't going to go over everything since so many details leaked.

That doesn't explain why he didn't cover the stuff that didn't leak. I mean by your logic he should have MORE time to go over the other features.

You don't even both to post facts, just complaints.

What are you talking about? FACT he didn't mention Qi charging and availability at all. Is this a reading comprehension problem or what?

And a majority of Microsoft's revenue DOES NOT come from phones.

I agree. And they are doing their best to keep it that way.

Microsoft wants to encourage others to make devices. They are only filling the gap right now.

What does that have to do with saying, "I made this and this is what it does?"

Are we really asking for the sun, moon, and the stars when we want to actually see what a phone does at a two hour event instead of listening to stupid cheerleading?

Most of the people that wanted to hear about the Lumias already knew everything about them. The leaks have been all over. Why retread that stuff?

Please link to the leaks about Qi availability.

Look you aren't helping MSFT. Just sitting there and pretending everything is okay instead of offering constructive criticism is going to keep MSFT solidly in third place in the most profitable part of the industry.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site

Nothing about Qi availability in the United States... the country where the event took place and the location MSFT's global headquarters. The lack of US Qi availability was the single biggest outcry on the internet regarding their last flagship and instead of addressing that... cheerleading and minifedoras. Great.

Hey I get it. You are new to Windows Phone and you don't know about the long term issues. Nothing wrong with that. My advice though is when those of us who have actually bought and used the products have complaints, suggestions, or questions just stay out if it.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site

Nothing about Qi availability in the United States... the country where the event took place and the location MSFT's global headquarters. The lack of US Qi availability was the single biggest outcry on the internet regarding their last flagship and instead of addressing that... cheerleading and minifedoras. Great.

Hey I get it. You are new to Windows Phone and you don't know about the long term issues. Nothing wrong with that. My advice though is when those of us who have actually bought and used the products have complaints, suggestions, or questions just stay out if it.

Please don't call me out. I had a 900 for years followed by my current 920. Yes, I'm well aware of the jackassery of ATT and Qi, but the fact of the matter is we know virtually nothing about the availability of these phones other than that they're coming out in November. "Woe is my sky is falling" does not help anyone.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site

Yes, I'm well aware of the jackassery of ATT and Qi, but the fact of the matter is we know virtually nothing...

I agree with you 100%. That is why I thought the two hour hole in my morning should have shed some light... which it did not. Waste of time. Enjoy your Fedoras and cheerleading. I hope MSFT is still in the phone game five years from now at this rate. It's going to be awfully hard to make calls on a $1,499 Surface Book when I'm walking around.

kokola

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site

Why no one question MS decision to sell an unfinished phone?
Assuming the phones will start selling on the 30th November, they have less than 2 months to finish the OS.
Transporting times? Testings?...Maybe less than a month to finish it up.
Or MS intention is to let the new user be a part of the Insider?

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
What was missing? How about what it can do as a phone? "And you can get it from the Microsoft Store, plug your SIM in it, no matter what carrier, and go. You'll have WiFi Calling, VoLTE and exceptional reception with our new antennas." Did I miss that part? Were the spec sheets available for the press?
I can understand the time they devoted to the phone was limited. Most of the features were leaked at least a week before. Continuum had to be demonstrated. So that's the agenda. But what they forgot was the "Oh, by the way. It also does this, this and this. And has this, that, and you know its really a great as a Phone too."
So how about a follow up talk with somebody, official, on the record. Clarity some grey areas an get this show on the road.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

The phones were very much evident at the Moynihan Station event last (Tues) night. There were a number of stations where they were out and people to show them or let you use them (that is after they unlocked them for you, since they were keyed to the eye of the person demo-ing the phone).

MorganRW

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

He did demo Win Hello so watch the vid again. He made it a point to call it beta and it unlocked automatically in about 3 or 4 seconds. Tough to tell when it started reading his eyes but he did demo it.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site

Microsoft has always been this way. They never put much time or focus into training people or even showing some of the exclusive features. Cortana and Continuum were the only features I've seen harped about.

Let's be real though what other exclusive features does Microsoft have with WM10? Continuum and Windows Hello is really it.... None of this appeals to the masses except for businessmen. I think they've prepared to wait for Project Astoria and Islandwood to see if this is something they can offer to truly any consumer. In it's current state it's very hard to recommend.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

1) I need to get over the price. At $850 in Canada, the XL is not cheap. -
It's mainly because our dollar is so freaking bad. If you convert it from the american pricing of $650 it works out to be the same thing.
Which really blows because I bought the L1520.3 for $650 CAD...

For me my only hope to save on buying the 950XL is that Fido releases the phone where I can use my nearly $200 Fido Dollars to help pay for it---either that or renew a contract early and sell an iPhone 6s/6s+ for profit.

But comparing to an iPhone... it's still cheaper so that's always a good thing.

RayWP7

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site

Lets face reality here. The big thing anyone expected was the phone announcements. Most of the info we knew because it had been leaked and shared all over the nets. But, announcements did happen and they confirmed what we already knew. Of course we're underwhelmed. No surprises. They couldn't really demo to much of phone because Windows 10 Mobile isn't even finished. As it is, note how reluctant the presenter was when demoing "Windows Hello BETA." Fact is, presenting too much on unfinished software can lead to embarrassing moments at a time when Microsoft doesn't need embarrassing moments. They announced the phones, innovation on the hardware, price points, and availability. People have the opportunity to test Windows 10 Mobile and so know what is coming in that regard. This is a non-issue. Phones got the moment, perhaps not what people wanted - but sometimes people's expectations just need to be checked.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

They had a 90 minute cut off and went over it as it is. And they needed to add that extra surface book into it which was of course the only thing not leaked and would require the most attention.

I think we will get more info on the phones, accessories and different things as they near the actual release date.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

It's mainly because our dollar is so freaking bad. If you convert it from the american pricing of $650 it works out to be the same thing.
Which really blows because I bought the L1520.3 for $650 CAD...

For me my only hope to save on buying the 950XL is that Fido releases the phone where I can use my nearly $200 Fido Dollars to help pay for it---either that or renew a contract early and sell an iPhone 6s/6s+ for profit.

But comparing to an iPhone... it's still cheaper so that's always a good thing.

Don't forget HST! 13% tax which puts the phone at $960! The harmonized tax was developed to help businesses and hurt consumers.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

He did demo Win Hello so watch the vid again. He made it a point to call it beta and it unlocked automatically in about 3 or 4 seconds. Tough to tell when it started reading his eyes but he did demo it.

Saw a french video online where it unlocked really quick for the guy. He also wore shades. So Yah because it's beta unlock time may vary and it may not even work. Hopefully they iron out all the kinks.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Microsoft's event just blew my mind!!

I watched it last night and the part where he mentioned that bit wasn't garbled out.

Hmm, must have been something on my side as it had a few times with the live stream - the first being when Terry Myerson was talking about 360 backwards compatibility and it occurred during Satya's speech too.

hf199

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

You are wrong it took longer than 2 seconds! And Daniel said the same with his hands on comments. And nothing should be assumed when you only have less than 3% of the market. You need to remind people. It's called MARKETING!!!! and they lost a huge opportunity or the product was not up to snuff. WM10 is taking longer than they thought and that's what killed the phone presentation. Rather than be embarrassed on stage just breeze through the info which I'm sure the carriers knew of this and are reluctant to get on the bandwagon right now until they see more or a complete OS product.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

At the Moynihan (which was pretty dark) unlocking the phone went very quickly. Certainly faster than I can type in my 4 digit code. BTW, the cameras also worked incredibly well in the very dark party like space too.

Thallanor

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site

Is it just me or does it seem like Microsoft really doesn't care too much about its phone divison?
I was hoping to get a lot more info and demos but I feel like all they really showed was continuum.
This reveal was primarily a hardware reveal. Continuum is made available due to USB-C, I believe, which is why it will be unavailable on existing devices upgraded to W10M, so it makes sense that it received some limelight. It was a little bit feature-light but for a hardware reveal, they did alright, I believe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism