Official "I have the Surface 2" thread

PtiViperB1

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
re: Official "I have the Surface 2" thread

I should get mine at 3:00 PM (EST) it's out for delivery... I need to locate that UPS truck!

TheCodifier

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site

Understood - but I am still not clear that "InstantGo" is the same exact thing as "Connected Standby". Yes, it could be just a change in marketing terms, but this is not clear.

Yes indeed. Personally, I didn't encounter the term InstantGo before reading this thread. At first, I wasn't sure either if it was the same. But after doing some research, here is what I found:

A document from Intel mentioning at the second page:
Connected Standby is now Microsoft* InstantGo

A web page mentioning:
InstantGo (new name for connected standby)

This makes me think that the original term was Connected Standby but Microsoft decided to create a brand and name it InstantGo.

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

Yes indeed. Personally, I didn't encounter the term InstantGo before reading this thread. At first, I wasn't sure either if it was the same. But after doing some research, here is what I found:

A document from Intel mentioning at the second page:

A web page mentioning:

This makes me think that the original term was Connected Standby but Microsoft decided to create a brand and name it InstantGo.

How do we verify the Surface2 has it? I'm still not sure what the difference is after scanning through that pdf. The surface does push/pull emails and data while in standby mode.

Daniel Curry

Banned
May 6, 2013
Visit site

Right, think I'll chip in here.

From what I've read, I came to the conclusion that the Surface 2 didn't have InstantGo, because when I use the new Alarms app, I get this message at the top:

Screenshot (8).png

When I click that link, I am then told that if I see that message, then my device does not have InstantGo:

Screenshot (9).png

Screenshot (10).png

However, having used the Alarms app this morning, I find out that the alarm does go off if the device is asleep.

I'm confused.

jason8957

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Guess what's in this bag from the Austin Microsoft store!
WP_20131022_10_37_42_Pro.jpg

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

Right, think I'll chip in here.

From what I've read, I came to the conclusion that the Surface 2 didn't have InstantGo, because when I use the new Alarms app, I get this message at the top:

View attachment 47597

When I click that link, I am then told that if I see that message, then my device does not have InstantGo:

View attachment 47598

View attachment 47599

However, having used the Alarms app this morning, I find out that the alarm does go off if the device is asleep.

I'm confused.

I don't know how InstantGo differs from connected standby, but Surface 1 & 2 both support connected standby which means notifications and alarms work when the device is asleep. Maybe that message shows the very first time the app is run regardless of device, just to get the users attention.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Just got back from picking up my S2! The back has a much different feel than I was expecting but it's still nice. Signed into my account and all my settings popped right up. Just a few more tweeks and I'm all set. Out of the box I have more than 18GB free but I still have a good chunk of apps to download.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes