More surface laptop users will upgrade from windows 10 S to pro?

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
If the popular app developers create their apps for windows, the rate of conversion will be decreased and there by in the future those apps will come to Windows 10 Mobile only which is awesome.

although not necessarily true for the desktop bridge apps as those are not full uwp apps, i hope that these apps will make its way to windows 10 mobile, or windows on arm if a phone is made using this qualcomm chip.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
If the popular app developers create their apps for windows, the rate of conversion will be decreased and there by in the future those apps will come to Windows 10 Mobile only which is awesome.

Hopefully. But once they have their foot in the door via centennial, they still need to be drawn over by the honey of full UWP, via other hardware platforms, like console, mobile, mixed reality, HoloLens, and whatever else MS has cooked up.

It's a start. It certainly promotes the benefits of new app makers just writing in UWP in the first place. Windows on ARMs ability to draw iOS app makers over via islandwood is probably more immediately valuable to 10m users though- if we can get those GPS/chat/banking apps across, that is much much needed.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully. But once they have their foot in the door via centennial, they still need to be drawn over by the honey of full UWP, via other hardware platforms, like console, mobile, mixed reality, HoloLens, and whatever else MS has cooked up.

It's a start. It certainly promotes the benefits of new app makers just writing in UWP in the first place. Windows on ARMs ability to draw iOS app makers over via islandwood is probably more immediately valuable to 10m users though- if we can get those GPS/chat/banking apps across, that is much much needed.

hey drael, as always i agree with you. although i dont personally care about banking apps as i really use american express mostly (which has a uwp app thankfully) i see the constant demand for these apps. just one part of the puzzle to make the windows store a very robust location to get apps for any microsoft-enabled platform.

overboard08

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to give 10 S a chance. Pre online-masters I would say I'd probably just stick with S. But given the opportunity I would give 10 S a chance before upgrading. Gotta keep that Steam/gaming access!

v/r
BMK
From Surface Pro 4

DarkLykan114

May 28, 2017
Visit site
A $50 upgrade from Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Pro is like upgrading from a Chromebook to a Windows 10 Pro Ultrabook. I'd see why someone would give 10 S a chance, but $50 isn't that much money considering Windows 10 Pro is around $200 for a fresh copy where I live.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
A $50 upgrade from Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Pro is like upgrading from a Chromebook to a Windows 10 Pro Ultrabook. I'd see why someone would give 10 S a chance, but $50 isn't that much money considering Windows 10 Pro is around $200 for a fresh copy where I live.

darklykan i agree, $50 isnt that much. ive seen windows 10 pro standalone go for that much also, so $50 is a nice ~75% discount or 100% discount (free) if you get the surface laptop.

jamezr

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

yeah....my thoughts too. I mean give 10 s a shot then after a week upgrade to Win Pro. It is the logical thing to do imho

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I would personally stick with S if Visual Studio/Code and Steam were in the Windows Store, but unfortunately that's not the case yet.

Photonsym

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I don't see why you would'nt upgrade on this laptop in particular. However, on a low-powered machine, you may get a much more enjoyable experience sticking to windows 10s. If its like chrome os and doesn't undergo loads of annoying updates and has less isssues to troubleshoot, then it may also be appealing if you just need something that works especially for light users or schools.

Surapathi_121-0

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Present situation in the store is worse and it needs to be developed more and apps must come for Windows 10 S which is almost to impossible until Microsoft doesn't care about the feedback and it's developers. So until the apps won't come, Windows 10 S is to be avoided for the mean time.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
more and apps must come for Windows 10 S which is almost to impossible
If they made Apple bring iTunes to Windows Store, I think everything is possible if Microsoft only does it the right way (looking at you MS marketing department). A good example of this particular department not working as it was supposed to is the current situation with Windows mobile platform, but it seems they actually started working better (or actually working?) with the rise of the Surface line.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
yeah....my thoughts too. I mean give 10 s a shot then after a week upgrade to Win Pro. It is the logical thing to do imho

hey jamezr, for more "advanced" computer users i agree that the more logical thing to do is upgrade to windows 10 pro. people like us who read forums like these and are interested in electronics probably would be more productive on windows 10 pro over windows 10 s as windows 10 s doesnt yet "speak" to us.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't see why you would'nt upgrade on this laptop in particular. However, on a low-powered machine, you may get a much more enjoyable experience sticking to windows 10s. If its like chrome os and doesn't undergo loads of annoying updates and has less isssues to troubleshoot, then it may also be appealing if you just need something that works especially for light users or schools.

i agree with you photonsym. with a premium laptop such as this one, id say windows 10 s is holding back the potential its users can push. this is probably why windows 10 pro is a free upgrade for this machine. microsoft is introducing a more secure os to a general audience, including students who do basic research and watch movies but also more power users, so the power users can upgrade to windows 10 pro and push the machine harder as it was designed to do.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
If they made Apple bring iTunes to Windows Store, I think everything is possible

im still shocked that itunes is coming to the windows store. everything is possible and microsoft is finally proving that statement by working with more established companies to bring their software to the store. the more established companies bring their apps to the windows store (and keep it updated, hopefully) the more companies will see the windows store as a great place to deploy and maintain apps, which benefits all of us as time goes on.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
not me. I kinda like to have a simple device to use while in "regular user" mode. if I want to use Win10Pro, then i'll use my other devices.

arlandi i would like to keep this surface laptop in windows 10 s also, just to try it. the great thing is its not a totally new experience (its basically my work computer minus the 2 win32 work apps i use) so there isnt a learning curve. i know i cant work on it because the work apps i need are not available, but it would be nice to use as a machine to chat with friends/family or transfer photos to do quick edits when im not working. the windows 10 s to windows 10 pro free upgrade lasts until the end of the year so i got some months to try it out before upgrading. :)

May 15, 2017
Visit site
i think alot of general users might stick with windows 10s if everything works well until necessity dictates a move to pro. ie, those that only use office suites might enjoy how light things feel in 10s and not bother..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon