Black screen awaking from sleep...

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
My wife's Surface Pro 4 is having a repeating issue. Quite often when she tries to wake it up from sleep she notices the screen backlight comes on but the display is black. You can see the infrared light turn on for Windows Hello and turn off when it presumably recognizes her face, but screen remains black. The only fix is the hold power button down and hard reset.

It's running the fall update of Win10 and all recent firmware updates via windows update. It's the$899 CoreM model. She is using a surface pro 3 keyboard.

I've already tried setting it hibernate when keyboard is closed and doesn't seem to fix.

Anyone else having this or have any recommendations? I was thinking of trying the beta drivers direct from Intel but not sure if I should chance that on my wife's machine.

right_mr1

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. It was a lot worse when I bought the device and windows updates seem to have reduced the frequency but I still have the problem from time to time.

I have set the laptop to sleep mode and shut it down frequency - I don't use hibernate at all. When on battery mode I have set WiFi to turn off during sleep mode. The problem now seldom occurs for me. Could hibernate mode be part of the issue ? Also i first use the power button to turn off the screen ( into sleep mode ) or shut the device down before covering the screen with the type cover. It's far from ideal but that's what I am currently doing and it seems to work

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

right_mr1

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I have changed all the power settings to ensure the device never goes into hibernation mode. I've selected shutdown and sleep as the options. I also avoid using the type cover to turn the screen off/put the device into sleep mode. If I want to put the device into sleep mode I do it through start/power and select sleep mode that way. I suggest you perhaps check the settings on the device and replace hibernation mode with sleep mode wherever relevant. see how that goes.

Valeri Nikolov

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
If the screen is black after waking up, press Ctrl+Atl+Del. This fixes the issue for me. I hope the new patch resolves all the issues with the sleep mode. It's really frustrating at the moment and I have switched off the Sleep function. Instead, I just shut down the Surface when I am away for a lot of time.

bellyer

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
This problem is happening for my SP4 also. Not sure if it matters, but I have the model with the i7, 16 GB RAM and a 256 GB SSD. My wife, who isn't nearly as tech savvy or as patient with technology as I am, had it happen to her in a class that she was expecting to use it for note taking ad caused her to freak out pretty bad because she had no idea how to get it running. I sure hope there is a fix coming for this.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Going to pipe into this and say it also happens on the Surface (non-pro) 3, and how I fix it is the same way Valeri Nikolov does, by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del, which turns it back on.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
This happened to me today ... twice for no apparent reason costing me work and time. It happened the first time when I closed the lid and unplugged it (95 percent of the time it's plugged in). Along with the display driver crashes I'm finding this device quite unacceptable. Seriously, how is this an issue? The most basic functionality of a PC is having a screen that turns on and somehow Microsoft managed to screw that up.

right_mr1

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Had the problem again and windows + p fixed the issue without a need for rebooting. Reps to whoever discovered this and for the guys who shared too. Cheers !

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I installed the latest drivers from Intel (from my earlier post above) and this hasn't happened on her Surface since. No other issues to speak of either. Did the trick!

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I will have to try the Intel drivers as I am seeing the same problem, I have about 4 Surface Pro 4s and seeing this issue on all of them. We are supposed to be rolling out about 30 in Mid March and I am getting really cold feet now with the number of issues with waking from sleep and battery drain.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I will have to try the Intel drivers as I am seeing the same problem, I have about 4 Surface Pro 4s and seeing this issue on all of them. We are supposed to be rolling out about 30 in Mid March and I am getting really cold feet now with the number of issues with waking from sleep and battery drain.

MS is reportedly close to release a firmware update that addresses these issues soon.

In the meantime, I installed the Intel drivers I listed in an earlier post and it's been fine since

right_mr1

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Consistently banging windows + p now works for me every time . I'm still getting lots of other software bugs on this device but the black screen thing no longer required a reboot

angelofmusic1997

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
I have also been having this problem with my Surface Pro 3 (running Windows 10) for the past couple months now. I have yet to try the Windows+P method, but previously Ctrl+Alt+Del didn't work. I'm hoping that Microsoft comes up with a patch for this soon.

Rob DuMont

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
Any idea how to get past this if you DON'T have a keyboard attached? The CTRL-ALT-DEL brings up the logon screen fine for me, but if I don't have a keyboard with me, my only option seems to be a full power reboot by holding down the power button. Permanent fix would be best :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes