Surface Pro 4 heating issue after Anniversary update

seq1

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I updated my SP4 to the Anniversary update build and also bought a Signature Type Cover for it. Since then I have been having heating issues when I keep my Surface Pro 4 in standby covered with the Type Cover. Also, there is a significant battery drain.

I don't know if this is because of the Anniversary update or the Type cover. I never had heat issue on standby mode earlier, probably because I bought the SP4 much after Microsoft had released the fix for heating issue.

I will be updating this post if I figure out what is exactly causing the issue or if I find a solution to this issue.

I have just removed the type cover from settings > devices > connected devices and then re-added it. I hope this fixes the issue.

This issue is really making it difficult for me to use this device.

Is anyone else having this issue? Please let me know. Also, please help me in identifying the root cause.

Ramrunner73

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Did you end up getting this sorted?

Clearly this is a case of errand processes stopping the unit going in to sleep mode properly.

Try the steps here:

How to Record CPU and Memory Usage Over Time in Windows? - Instant Fundas

To see if you can log what the culprit is. I'm sure there may be better monitoring programs, I just chose this because it's built in to Windows and I've successfully diagnosed issues with it.

You may have to set the device to turn the screen off only if the sleep mode prevents the logging but it should still give you an indication.

seq1

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I am finding it a bit difficult to follow the steps mentioned at Instant Fundas. I do get a graph and some data about the processor and memory utilisation, but I am not understanding how to find out what program/application is causing the processor or memory consumption.

I also generated a battery report using the steps mentioned here: How to generate a Battery Report in Windows 10 | Windows Central. It shows around 4-7% battery drain in 20-25 mins of Connected Standby, but I am not able to figure out to cause.

I feel that the heating is a bit less today as compared to yesterday, but there is still some battery drain.

seq1

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I installed the cumulative patch with build 14393.51 on my Surface Pro 4 and rebooted the device. After that I have not been able to reproduce the heating issue. It is not heating at all now. I am not sure if the update fixed the issue or this is just temporarily fixed.

I will update this thread with the status after a day of use.

Update 1 (10-08-2016): I haven't noticed any heating issues today. Now, it doesn't even get warm when in sleep mode (closed type cover)

Last edited:

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
My SP4 is darn-near unusable after the Anniversary "Update." It's incredibly laggy, slow, HOT and the battery life sucks. Right now even the mouse cursor is lagging significantly, ditto for touch inputs. Even when sleeping the fans continue to run. I don't get it. This is simply unbelievable. I'm not sure who to hate more, Microsoft for releasing such an atrocious device/software or Intel for their allegedly horrendous Skylake chips... In any event I'm pissed.

seq1

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
My SP4 is no longer heating up. It is performing better than it ever used to after the .51 update. I am not sure whether the .51 update fixed things for me or something else.

seq1

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
My SP4 is darn-near unusable after the Anniversary "Update." It's incredibly laggy, slow, HOT and the battery life sucks. Right now even the mouse cursor is lagging significantly, ditto for touch inputs. Even when sleeping the fans continue to run. I don't get it. This is simply unbelievable. I'm not sure who to hate more, Microsoft for releasing such an atrocious device/software or Intel for their allegedly horrendous Skylake chips... In any event I'm pissed.

Did you update to .51?

tboggs13

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
In my case, I hadn't seen any hotbagging until 08/11 when the .51 update was applied. The 6 trips to and from work ended up with the Surface Pro 4 extremely hot. I have also noticed the fan running at odd times.

Rvacha

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure who to hate more, Microsoft for releasing such an atrocious device/software or Intel for their allegedly horrendous Skylake chips...
I think you can hate on Microsoft this time. AU is impacting power management on some SP4s. It got mine. Why only some and why no other PCs is unknown. Try this:

1. Open Regedit & navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\8baa4a8a-14c6-4451-8e8b-14bdbd197537 - Change Attributes to 0 (likely was 1 previously)

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power - Change CsEnabled to 0 (likely was 1 previously)

3. Reboot.

4. Go to Power Options > Change Advanced Power Settings > Processor Power Management Here you should now see Processor performance autonomous mode. Change to Disabled for both Battery and Plugged In (both were probably Enabled previously)

5. Reboot

6. Open regedit, go back to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power and change CsEnabled back to 1

7. Reboot. Things should be back to normal.

Steps you can take to verify all is fixed:
1. Close Type cover. Display should turn off, fan should turn off
2. Leave SP4 sleeping. If you have another PC on the same network, use it to verify that your SP4 is on the network. You will not be able to access it, but it should be there
3. Wake SP4, open task manager. Verify processor eventually settles down (for my i7 it will idle ~ 0.9GHz)
4. Go advanced power options. This is what you should see (not much, but that's the point - there aren't many options for Connected Standby):
Power Options.jpg
5. Open a command prompt and type powercfg /a. This is what you should see:
powercfg.jpg

The key is the very first part - Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected. This indicates the SP4 has properly working Connected Standby

seq1

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
On my SP4, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\8baa4a8a-14c6-4451-8e8b-14bdbd197537 is still '1' and it is working fine.

I would suggest before trying out the steps suggested by Rvacha, try a Restart (NOT Shutdown and turn on BUT actual Restart)

I appreciate the efforts taken by Rvacha, but editing registry is always tricky.

jo-pa

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Yikes, just ordered an SP4. Im reading about all these issues with the AU. I'd hate to not update my system out of the box if its not already on there but should I avoid putting this update on? Sounds like a lot of bugs

Rvacha

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
As best as I can tell AU does not impact too many SP4s - odds are you'll have no problem in terms of power management - but you won't know for sure until you try!

ATV_Hightower

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I did a fresh install after the Anniversay Update and my Surface Pro 4 was in High Performance Mode. I changed it back to balanced and now everything is pretty normal. Battery life is ok.

Thorgal Aegirsson

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
No, it doesn't fix it. Most of the problems are still there. I still can't shut down or restart my Surface because it simply freezes and I have to hold down the power button for 10 seconds or so.
The solution is to turn of the Fast Boot entirely. The freezing stops but it is very slow to turn back on.
Also, after Anniversary Update that is a long list of errors in the Event log after every restart - most notably it has problems with drivers, from pen to docking station to even Bluetooth.
They really f**cked up this one. They can't even make their own OS work with their own hardware. You can't blame Intel anymore - Intel drivers worked relatively fine by the end of July.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2