Problems updating Windows 8.1

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So I have been trying in vain to update my Surface to the 8.1 update.

I have no idea what in the world is going on. I'll go check for the update, hit install and then it'll say it is downloading. After awhile it'll say Preparing to install and start loading.

Only then it'll say "There was a problem installing updates"
I click get more info and I get

Get help with error 8024200D though i am not sure what it is and i looked on the website and was unable to find anything.
I wouldn't care normally but seeing as this update is mandatory i do sort of need to figure it out. I thought maybe it was giving me issues
because it was day 1 of the update and everyone was downloading it but i don't think that is.

Any help?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I got that once earlier this afternoon.
Just started over and when I checked after 1hour 58 minutes I got the restarting your computer thing.
My Surface never did restart so I just hit restart and now the dang thing is updated.

I guessing this is just a clogged server thing on Microsoft's end.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks I tried to follow the link but that still doesn't help...it's still saying the error and
i even tried to go restart(it said Update and restart) yet when i click it, it just restarted normally.

Isn't there another way to do the update without needing to do windows update? i thought i read somewhere you can install it manually.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks I tried to follow the link but that still doesn't help...it's still saying the error and
i even tried to go restart(it said Update and restart) yet when i click it, it just restarted normally.

Isn't there another way to do the update without needing to do windows update? i thought i read somewhere you can install it manually.

Hmmm...
I tried finding it on the Windows 8 site under downloads.
Still searching it's hidden pretty good if it's there.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Micah,
I was wondering how much overhead (free space) do you have left on your Surface system disc?
You might be erroring because Windows isn't seeing enough disk space to decompress the installation files.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Alright so far I am here....It is appearing to install...though it has been like 10 mins already and nothing is happening.

I have a book that i need to finish reading so maybe when i finish reading it, it'll make some Progress? I hope lol
(PS- i am using Chrome, eww i know haha lol)

Edit: of course as soon as i type that, the bar fills up green.
654ef368e447cd1ec01ce3e5acef53df.png

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I have 71 GB of storage left? That;s what you mean right?
Yup 71GB no problems there...
Alright so far I am here....It is appearing to install...though it has been like 10 mins already and nothing is happening.

I have a book that i need to finish reading so maybe when i finish reading it, it'll make some Progress? I hope lol
(PS- i am using Chrome, eww i know haha lol)

Edit: of course as soon as i type that, the bar fills up green.
View attachment 61782

lol!

Looks like it's gonna go!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
AH! SUCCESS :)

I got it working with the manual update! Thanks for the help of our Ambassadors and Mod Leader :D

I can now pin stuff to the task bar(not that i cared much about that...it was just how i knew the update work).

LOL this had been really bothering me all day long haha. Thanks so much everyone!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
AH! SUCCESS :)

I got it working with the manual update! Thanks for the help of our Ambassadors and Mod Leader :D

I can now pin stuff to the task bar(not that i cared much about that...it was just how i knew the update work).

LOL this had been really bothering me all day long haha. Thanks so much everyone!
Awesome! I'm glad it's working for you. :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes