New intel drivers have an increase in performance

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Pro tip: Don't install the .exe, download the .zip file, then use device manager to install it.

I'm really enjoying the update. It may be placebo, but I really see a difference. A lot of games look smooth :)

malberti1993

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
no its a manuel install via intel's site. Wont be available in windows update for a while. Im just curious if this will imrove the i3 version of sp3.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Pro tip: Don't install the .exe, download the .zip file, then use device manager to install it.

I'm really enjoying the update. It may be placebo, but I really see a difference. A lot of games look smooth :)

I am having trouble doing this, any help would be much appreciated. How do I install it in device manager?

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Working fine on my i7 so far. Will try my girlfriends i3 one soon.

This worked for me on the i3.

blindexecutioner • 6 hours ago

1. To install these on a surface pro 3 you need to download and extract the zip file from Intel.

https://downloadcenter.intel.c...

2. Then you need to go to your device manager (windows-x) and expand the "Display Adapters" and right click on "Intel HD graphics 5000" and choose "Update Driver Software"

3. Next select "Browse my computer for driver software"

4. Next select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

5. Next select "Have disk"

6. Now browse to the extracted zip folder from intel (WIN64_15363) and go into the "Graphics" sub folder

7. Select kit64ib.inf and open it

8. Then select "Ok"

The driver should then install.

If the driver doesn't install or says it is up to date or something you will need to uninstall the old driver first (back before you choose to update the driver in step 2) and check the box to delete the driver files from the computer. I am not sure if this step is needed but I always delete my old drivers first so it might be.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site

blindexecutioner ? 6 hours ago

1. To install these on a surface pro 3 you need to download and extract the zip file from Intel.

2. Then you need to go to your device manager (windows-x) and expand the "Display Adapters" and right click on "Intel HD graphics 5000" and choose "Update Driver Software"

6. Now browse to the extracted zip folder from intel (WIN64_15363) and go into the "Graphics" sub folder

8. Then select "Ok"

If the driver doesn't install or says it is up to date or something you will need to uninstall the old driver first (back before you choose to update the driver in step 2) and check the box to delete the driver files from the computer. I am not sure if this step is needed but I always delete my old drivers first so it might be.

Thank you so much, I will try this later today!

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
So people are really taking claims seriously from an article that says the following: "HD 4400 /5000 series chip sets that are part of the Core M Processor line that are used in the Surface Pro 3." SP3 does not use the Core M processors that were just announced a few days ago. This is also not a risk free proposition as implied by article. Keep in mind Microsoft generally withholds these updates for good reasons - usually either OS or application compatibility issues or performance or battery life hits. Use unapproved drivers at your own risk. This is not the equivalent of running the DP for WP8. These are drivers Microsoft has not yet authorized for use in its products and for which you need to use a backdoor to install since Intel's installer cannot be used....

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
So people are really taking claims seriously from an article that says the following: "HD 4400 /5000 series chip sets that are part of the Core M Processor line that are used in the Surface Pro 3." SP3 does not use the Core M processors that were just announced a few days ago. This is also not a risk free proposition as implied by article. Keep in mind Microsoft generally withholds these updates for good reasons - usually either OS or application compatibility issues or performance or battery life hits. Use unapproved drivers at your own risk. This is not the equivalent of running the DP for WP8. These are drivers Microsoft has not yet authorized for use in its products and for which you need to use a backdoor to install since Intel's installer cannot be used....

The claims are Intel's (see screenshot below from the changelog) and although Microsoft has not approved them, they are official drivers and no different than how Nvidia pushes their display driver updates bypassing OEMs.
Intel.png
Is there risk? Sure. There is also risk in doing a straight up Microsoft Update (see a few weeks ago).

I've installed these and many others have on their Surface Pro 3s with no issues. Users are free to do as they wish, knowing the ramifications.

berfles

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site

blindexecutioner • 6 hours ago

8. Then select "Ok"

I used these instructions and got it installed, but it was a different version number than it was supposed to be (supposed to be 15.36.3.64.3907, I had 10.18.10.3907). I had it check automatically for updates online for the heck of it and it then downloaded drivers from 3/17/14 and installed them again.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Yes I'm interested in how your performance is affected. Is it any better for those games that are haying trouble?

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psyduck