CITRIX: Can I remote into my hospital's system on RT?

jrj2013

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I've recently started at a new hospital and, for my job, it would be convenient to have a tablet so that I can access patient information while away from workstations. I have wanted a Surface RT/Pro for awhile but this has pushed me over the edge. I've also been waiting for the 2nd gen to be announced with an eye on a Pro2. This leads me to my question - does the Surface RT have the ability to download the Citrix software necessary to remote into programs such as EPIC?

I assume that, since Pro can run desktop apps it would have no problem doing so. I would just like to hold off on a Pro until 2.0. Does anyone use Citrix on a RT for EPIC access?

Thanks!

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
You can't run the Citrix client as non Windows store apps can't be installed. There is a Citrix app in the store but it is ***. The rating and reviews are a good clue.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've recently started at a new hospital and, for my job, it would be convenient to have a tablet so that I can access patient information while away from workstations. I have wanted a Surface RT/Pro for awhile but this has pushed me over the edge. I've also been waiting for the 2nd gen to be announced with an eye on a Pro2. This leads me to my question - does the Surface RT have the ability to download the Citrix software necessary to remote into programs such as EPIC?

I assume that, since Pro can run desktop apps it would have no problem doing so. I would just like to hold off on a Pro until 2.0. Does anyone use Citrix on a RT for EPIC access?
Thanks!

My wife uses my Surface RT to log into her work via the Citrix client. I think there is confusion on how this works with some people........you have to open the Citrix windows 8 app, sign in with your credentials, then go to desktop IE, and go to the Citrix portal, and log in the way u would on a standard PC. Works for her flawlessly, so much so that she has recommended the Surface RT to her friends / co-workers.

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
My wife uses my Surface RT to log into her work via the Citrix client. I think there is confusion on how this works with some people........you have to open the Citrix windows 8 app, sign in with your credentials, then go to desktop IE, and go to the Citrix portal, and log in the way u would on a standard PC. Works for her flawlessly, so much so that she has recommended the Surface RT to her friends / co-workers.

Depends on your remote environment. I work in healthcare and the RT app works flawlessly, no configuring. Login to my remote portal, click an app, and it launches the Citrix app and configures it.

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I keep getting an error saying "Could not find server. Please enter a valid server address" even though it's the one provided by my company...any one having a similar issue? Do you need to add anything before the address?

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I keep getting an error saying "Could not find server. Please enter a valid server address" even though it's the one provided by my company...any one having a similar issue? Do you need to add anything before the address?

That is why it is rated as ***.
I still get that same error as well after months I was a sucker to install it again and try.

nilchak

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
You should try this again with the updated Citrix Receiver on the Windows RT store. I used to get the same error " Cant find or connect to the server" after the latest client got updated - it was able to connect to my company Citrix instance. This was because of some support missing in the client (couldn't ask my Citrix admins to change their settings to support the earlier one).

Now the receiver works fine.

As for VPN access (different client) - the built in VPN settings on Windows RT does not still support the Cisco VPN. As a result companies using Cisco VPN will not work for users with Surface RT for now.
As usual - its a waiting game.

MXI

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It all depends on the architecture of the hospitals Citrix farm. The problem with the Citrix receiver in the store (which is the ONLY Citrix receiver available for RT) is that it doesn't work with the older style Citrix web interface. It requires a Citrix storefront/Netscaler architecture. Why all other receivers were developed to work for both except that one is Citrix dropping the ball. Thankfully being in IT at my Firm I was able to make that happen... for a normal user though its best to ask your IT department. There aren't that many users using WinRT and the normal Citrix receiver will still work for x86.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes