Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
re: Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

when I apply pressure behind my phone , near the camera , I see LCD distortion ...

is it with all the lumia 1520 's ? :cry:

when I place my phone on a table i notice the LCD getting distorted every time

Yes the LCD and glass layer are extremely close to one another and thin.

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Don't know, this is my first Windows Phone and I am new to the platform. Do you think I should contact Nokia Support?

If your phone is NOT plugged in, and it will NOT let you shut it off, then yes, let Nokia know.

But if it IS plugged into a charger (or anything supplying power), it will NOT shut down.

Not a "bug". Just the way all Lumias I have seen behave. :)

wpsparks

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site

but the distortion also happens when I apply pressure behind the phone , near the camera
after time will it destroy the LCD ??

wpsparks

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site

Yes the LCD and glass layer are extremely close to one another and thin.

but the distortion happens when I apply even a slight pressure behind the camera area of the phone
will the distortion destroy the LCD screen ??

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

but the distortion happens when I apply even a slight pressure behind the camera area of the phone
will the distortion destroy the LCD screen ??

It should be fine unless you put too much pressure on it and flex it.

falcon_29

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Mine, an Australian 1520, only distorts the LCD when I really press hard on the back, so I think slight pressure shouldn't be causing it to distort.

I also have none of the other issues in this thread which is great. (and a relief!)

garciaba79

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

1. Cellular wireless is really slow and in the most part does not work. I can get Google to come up but loading a page is really slow or fails. I run a network speed test and the ping is 300 ms, no download, and upload is .04 kbps or whatever the measurement is. None of the apps load data, I do not get notifications or messages. I connected to a friends phone with wifi and all of my notifications, messages, and other data started to load. WiFi works fine. -Update: I turned off phone, re-positioned SIM card, and turned it on. Cellular data seems fine. If you have this problem try this fix.
2. The camera lens is distorted. If I aim the phone so that a person's head is in the middle of the shot everything seems fine but if I aim the phone so that the persons head is at the top of the picture with the phone upright then the person's head is distorted really bad. It looks stretched. The same goes if I aim the phone so that their head is at the bottom of the picture. It does it with anything in the picture but it is easier to notice if you are aiming at a person.
3. Touch issues where scrolling taps or touches.
4. Phone ear volume is low.

I am contacting Microsoft today to exchange the phone. Nokia's phone, specially this one, are known for the camera. A distorted lens is not going to fly. No wireless data is a definite issue. Does anyone else have problem one or two? Can you test and give us some feed back.

JieXY

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

Several findings so far ( 3 weeks):

1. Occasional self reboots (around once a week).
2. Touch sensitivity issue (sometimes a swipe is registered as touch)
3. Biggest issue: VOLUME CONTROL (Volume control does not always work. I can see the actual value (XX/30) goes up or down, but there's no change to the music I am listening to. This mainly happens when I am using audio jack (AUX/headphone), but once this happens, even unplugged, the problem remains. Sometimes there's no sound at all even I turn the volume to 30/30, so annoying.)

aditya_sinha

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

My Lumia 1520 wont shutdown even if it is not connected to any power source. The goodbye screen seems to stay there forever. As I am writing this, its been stuck since last 10 mins.

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Sometimes when I unlock the phone the colors are fuzzy and very very distorted, locking and unlocking again solve the problem..

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

2. The camera lens is distorted. If I aim the phone so that a person's head is in the middle of the shot everything seems fine but if I aim the phone so that the persons head is at the top of the picture with the phone upright then the person's head is distorted really bad. It looks stretched. The same goes if I aim the phone so that their head is at the bottom of the picture. It does it with anything in the picture but it is easier to notice if you are aiming at a person.
A distorted lens is not going to fly. No wireless data is a definite issue. Does anyone else have problem one or two? Can you test and give us some feed back.

I've also noticed the lens distortion issue. I'm pretty sure all 1520s do that. They're using wide-angle lenses in those phones - this kind of distortion is present in all wide-angle lenses, that's a fact of life. As a photographer, I welcome a wide-angle lens in the phone but I'm not really sure it was a smart decision to go with that instead of a more "normal" focal range in a consumer phone.

Here's what you can do to make it work better for you (again, this goes for all wide-angle lenses):

1. Keep your distance. Take a few steps back, take the picture and then use the lossless zoom feature of the photo app. As the distortion is worst towards the edges, this will essentially crop the distorted areas.

2. don't use the 16:9 image format for vertical framing. Instead, use 4:3. Again, this crops the distorted areas.

3. Keep your object in the dead center and then, again, use the lossless zoom function to re-compose. Same thing as 1.

In Instagram, for example, the problem isn't as apparent as they use a 1:1 aspect ratio there. There's nothing else you can do about Nokia's decision to put a wide-angle lens in - we can only live with it or choose a different phone. Exchanging it won't help.

Last edited:

anon(8010562)

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site

My Lumia 1520 wont shutdown even if it is not connected to any power source. The goodbye screen seems to stay there forever. As I am writing this, its been stuck since last 10 mins.

Got the same trouble here too. Gets really frustrating. Random Apps not responding is also making me pull my hair... :/

Kashan Osama

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site

what happened to their sturdy solid built hardware OMG (I am not a lagdroid/isheep/ponies ******)...Not buying nokia,hello Sony...case closed

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

what happened to their sturdy solid built hardware OMG (I am not a lagdroid/isheep/ponies ******)...Not buying nokia,hello Sony...case closed

I only know the Z1 - camera isn't great, the screen has lousy viewing angles. Despite the issues, I'd say the 1520 is still the better phone.

Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro2_936 using Tapatalk

tyrnosarusAWSOM

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site

Please confirm, for those with the weird Bing search issue; I've found that I can always goto Bing search by placing my thumb horizontally across the the top left corner of the display over the camera.

nthknd

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

Trying to get a repair but their system still seems to be down. They wanted me to clear my browser history telling me it was my computer causing their issues. Finally they process my repair on their side and still waiting for the email with my packing slip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

manojramchandar

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site

Worst phone I ever used in my life.. full of bugs. Three out of ten
Why I gave three
1. Offline map
2. Mixradio(needs lot improvement)
3. Nokia apps
Most apps not working. If I open third party app my mobile got hanged. Have to restart.

Touch response is very poor

Battery worst when I connects in wifi. Have to charge my mobile within 3 hours if its connects to wifi.

Heat problem- if connects in wifi I can not hold my mobile. Upper half front and back gets heat.

When I put charger in night tmrw I open my outlook or gmail. That app wont give any response ve to restart my phone.

Screen is flickrs sometimes..

Worst phone. Nokia must provide the update or should stop the production. So Others wont waste their money. As per my experience i ll say do not go for Lumia 1520

Kascha K

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

The only thing I would consider a serious problem (and probably not a bug) with my 1520 so far is that there is a serious lag with app developers (or possibly Bluetooth firmware writers) updating their compatibility with the new phones. I am having a horrible time with many apps (TuneIn, Digitally Imported for example) where the Bluetooth connection is being dropped the second a station is not able to be tuned in due to signal or whatever, and also with just getting Bluetooth synched up in the first place because it will connect then claim to be connecting then synching contacts then back to attempting a connection. It is infuriating.

This is in a 2013 C30 Volvo. In a 2013 ML350, I cannot get it to handshake at all. My 920 hooked up flawlessly with both of these cars and did not disconnect the entire Bluetooth handshake connection when a particular stream could not be tuned in and connected to.

I don't consider flush buttons to be a factory bug. This is the way the phone was designed, and I love it. It only becomes a slight issue when I have the phone in a two piece holster case where the button on the rubber case portion comes through the frame of the holster and requires a fingernail to push in. This can be trying at angles and is probably impossible with gloves but that's case design at least as much as phone design if you ask me.

TechFranz

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

My apologies for cross-posting, but my Nokia Lumia 1520 just developed a hairline crack out of nowhere. I think it is due to a bad screen or overheating. Any thoughts?

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Worst phone I ever used in my life.. full of bugs. Three out of ten
Why I gave three
1. Offline map
2. Mixradio(needs lot improvement)
3. Nokia apps
Most apps not working. If I open third party app my mobile got hanged. Have to restart.

Touch response is very poor

Battery worst when I connects in wifi. Have to charge my mobile within 3 hours if its connects to wifi.

Heat problem- if connects in wifi I can not hold my mobile. Upper half front and back gets heat.

When I put charger in night tmrw I open my outlook or gmail. That app wont give any response ve to restart my phone.

Screen is flickrs sometimes..

Worst phone. Nokia must provide the update or should stop the production. So Others wont waste their money. As per my experience i ll say do not go for Lumia 1520

You might want to get that exchanged then.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes