07-29-2015 01:05 PM
54 123
tools
    Agreed. The hardware on this phone is near perfect. I tried to nick pick, but seriously cannot find any fault.

It's software related. I don't think it has anything to do with the hardware. But it's easy enough to recover from the problem that it doesn't bother me too much.

I applied the update to the developer preview last night and so far it hasn't acted up.

I'm also surprised this doesn't seem to be a bigger issue being reported around here.
    10-24-2014 07:38 PM
    I know when I had double tap to wake on on my 1520, the lock screen would sometimes jump up and down as if I was rapidly scrolling up and down. If I would slide it up myself, it would make phantom touches on the number pad. Once I switched that option off, I didn't have this problem anymore. I was able to duplicate the issue (by shear luck, don't know how to actually trigger it though). I've confirmed that for me, double tap was the issue in this situation.

I believe this problem here is software related. I don't know if that will work for other phones, but I just wanted to share my experience on this. Glance is still on, but this may be a combination of both glance and tap to wake being on at the same time.
    10-24-2014 07:55 PM
    Sadly the update for the developer preview did not help. I installed the update 20 minutes ago, restarted my 1520 once but the issue occurred twice within the last 15 minutes.
    10-25-2014 07:56 AM
    I was good for a day or two after the update but then it started again.
    10-26-2014 04:34 PM
    So far, neither deactivating glance screen and/or double tap to wake have worked for me. However, additionally activating the display's high touch sensitivity option under settings > touch seems to have worked for me. At least the issue did not appear within the last 24h despite heavy usage.
    10-27-2014 04:04 PM
    These lockups happened to me too. The glance, double tap and high sense options...turn them off, they just cause problems.

Tbh they are nothing to miss anyway.
    10-27-2014 04:17 PM
    Yup. Most of the time when I'm using Files app.
    10-27-2014 04:27 PM
    I know when I had double tap to wake on on my 1520, the lock screen would sometimes jump up and down as if I was rapidly scrolling up and down. If I would slide it up myself, it would make phantom touches on the number pad. Once I switched that option off, I didn't have this problem anymore. I was able to duplicate the issue (by shear luck, don't know how to actually trigger it though). I've confirmed that for me, double tap was the issue in this situation.

I believe this problem here is software related. I don't know if that will work for other phones, but I just wanted to share my experience on this. Glance is still on, but this may be a combination of both glance and tap to wake being on at the same time.
    I'm trying double tap to wake being off now.

I actually like the glance screen so I hope it's not that. In earlier Nokia releases Glance did mess with the unlock screen making it difficult to unlock the phone.
    10-28-2014 03:14 PM
    The 1520 is anything but perfect. The touch/scrolling sensitivity issue is a big one that has not been solved. Many of us have just accepted it as part of owning the device.
    It is especially glaring when you have owned another WP device before getting a 1520. When you scroll you do so gingerly.
    10-28-2014 03:35 PM
    My question to everybody experiencing this issue is, did you do a clean install or did you install from a previous back up?
    I always do a clean install and have never had an issue with my 1520.3. If you are installing from back up try doing a clean install. Do not do an OTA. Use the Nokia tool to install a fresh OS build then layer from there.
    10-28-2014 03:40 PM
    I was the person who originally posted this thread. Yesterday my phone was going crazy. Dropping calls, freezing on screens. Each time putting it to sleep and waking it up would fix it but it would happen again. I tried shutting off backgrounds on Cortana, turning off glance, and nothing has helped. I have sent feedback to Microsoft thru my phone, but have not heard back from them. Not that I expected to. Really hope they fix this problem soon.
    10-29-2014 01:10 PM
    My question to everybody experiencing this issue is, did you do a clean install or did you install from a previous back up?
    I always do a clean install and have never had an issue with my 1520.3. If you are installing from back up try doing a clean install. Do not do an OTA. Use the Nokia tool to install a fresh OS build then layer from there.
    I'm on the latest dev preview OTA.
    10-29-2014 09:14 PM
    The 1520 is anything but perfect. The touch/scrolling sensitivity issue is a big one that has not been solved. Many of us have just accepted it as part of owning the device.
    It is especially glaring when you have owned another WP device before getting a 1520. When you scroll you do so gingerly.
    I luckily have never experienced that issue but I think it was liked to something like too much pressure or bending while in a pocket.
    10-29-2014 09:15 PM
    Holy crap I feel like an ***** to not have gone through the forums. I had screen going crazy and touch not responding issues for the past few months on my almost year old 15 and was living with it and even contemplated getting rid of it. Thanks to you guys I turned off glance and double tap to wake and bam problem solved!! It's been 3 days and no issues even once. And battery life is better ten fold. So it's definitely glance after an update. And I'm glad to know I can keep her for some now time until the next 6incher from MS. Cheers
    10-31-2014 10:13 AM
    I'm trying both double tap and glance off now with a reboot. I've only had one or the other off.

Problem is, I really like glance.
    10-31-2014 02:59 PM
    I've been having the same issues. I have tried all the suggestions in this forum (turn off glance, turn of double tap, reduced touch sensitivity). The problem has reduced but it's still there. Still looking for a fix. I have the international Lumia 1520.3 and I'm running developer preview latest updates.
    Bell040 likes this.
    11-05-2014 06:14 AM
    I'm starting to think in my case it is a hardware issue. It has been getting progressively worse. Sometimes it even does it on the lock screen. Luckily I have two weeks left on warranty.
    Bell040 likes this.
    11-06-2014 01:33 PM
    It has to be physical. When my screen is jumping up and down, freezing, or Cortana is making a surprise visit, I have to physically flex the phone and it starts working again. I can turn it off and on too, but flexing so that the center is moved up and the sides are pressed down tells me there is some serious design issues with the digitizer. I have owned 4 HTC phones, the oldest has to be about 12 years old and it still works without flaw. I should have never taken a chance on Nokia. I also recently bought two 520s for my mom and daughter. They are craptastic too. Random network issues until a reboot is done.
    11-11-2014 01:46 PM
    It has to be physical. When my screen is jumping up and down, freezing, or Cortana is making a surprise visit, I have to physically flex the phone and it starts working again. I can turn it off and on too, but flexing so that the center is moved up and the sides are pressed down tells me there is some serious design issues with the digitizer. I have owned 4 HTC phones, the oldest has to be about 12 years old and it still works without flaw. I should have never taken a chance on Nokia. I also recently bought two 520s for my mom and daughter. They are craptastic too. Random network issues until a reboot is done.
    I still love my 1520 but the flexing is an interesting theory. The digitizer flakes when just sitting on the desk and not getting touched. I had it almost wipe out the data on my phone when it did it on the lock screen. After so many failed logins it goes into protection mode.

Waiting for Microsoft's answer to the iPhone 6+ (spec wise very similar to the current 1520).
    11-11-2014 03:59 PM
    Ugh, AT&T's RMA process sucks. They ship DHL and as slowly as possible.
    11-13-2014 07:41 AM
    Replacement phone is working nicely. I'd suggest everyone having this issue get a warranty replacement before the warranty expires. If you got it on release day that's in a few days.
    11-14-2014 11:16 AM
    The last couple of days my phone went nuts again. Getting to the point that it happens while making calls,and then the calls get dropped. Was really hoping that the denim update would fix it but some of the earlier posts make it seem that it wont. I deleted my browsing history yesterday and it hasn't happened today. Will see how long that lasts.
    01-04-2015 08:41 PM
    i also using lumia 1520 after purchasing this, from begining facing a big hanging problem, heating issue, my device has send 5 to 6 time for repaire but problm as it is same, really it is worst phone in the world dont purchase lumia devices in the future
    04-17-2015 06:00 AM
    microsoft care center could not help you because i have same problem in my lumia 1520 device due to hanging and freezing, in this situation i submit this device 5 to 6 time in service centre but they not rectify the problem, this is the worst phone in the world
    04-17-2015 06:06 AM
    Mine has been doing this ever since I replaced the screen. I am very good with electronics and I did a flawless install of the screen. After reading about possible software fixes... I turned off:
    - Glance,
    - Device Hub
    (both by setting the date to the year 2200 and opening them in settings),
    - Cortana (I stopped her from running in the background at first, and now turning her all the way off)

I still have the problem. I tried WP10TP very optimistically, but the problem was 1000 times worse. I could use the phone for about 30 seconds before it would lock up. The only way to get it back to normal was to reset it. I am back to WP8.1.

Did anyone ever have a breakthrough with this issue?
    05-04-2015 03:28 PM
54 123