Initial impressions of Lumia 720 after owning Lumia 920

imZadok

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I got my Lumia 720 a few days ago and have been very impressed with it. I previously had a Lumia 920 that I returned as it froze three or more times per day, and my carrier (Telstra) couldn't seem to fix it despite multiple repair attempts.

I was surprised at how little the reduced screen resolution bothered me, and have found the screen to be very bright and easily readable in direct sunlight. General use within the OS is also snappy and comparable to the Lumia 920. I have noticed a slight delay when opening apps and definite increases in load times when doing more complex tasks like using creative studio. However, battery life is in another league. I am literally getting twice the battery life of my Lumia 920, and this alone makes the speed sacrifices worthwhile.

I believe Nokia have done a fantastic job with the Lumia 720, producing a phone that feels premium with only minor sacrifices that are easy to live with when battery life, silky smooth OS navigation, and build quality are considered. Highly recommended.

fondlemyballs

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I'd get it but the price is ridiculous, the phone holds a 480p screen, 512mb RAM and no Drive+ yet it's selling for 300 euros, screw that. Why is 820 cheaper? 300 euros is literally the price range of last years top of the line phones with 720p screen, Nokia should really fix their pricing and also fix their release schemes because nobody is gonna buy your phone 3 months after announcement.

donoester

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
The 820 was also more expensive when it was released - like any phone. In my view (I think I've said this before), Nokia made a big mistake of introducing the 820 along with the 920. Along with the 920 they should have introduced the 720 as it is known today, because they obviously crippled the 820 more than enough to make the 920 "shine". By introducing the 720 they could still introduce a semi-high end device later on, when the sale merits of the 920 had shown. The REAL 820 should have been a LTE compliant 4.3" 720p device with a 1.2 GHz S4 Krait with a unibody design with at least 1800 mAh battery.

Now that they made this mistake we now got a L720 with better screen color quality than 820, much better battery life, better camera, gorilla glass 2 (to some people, this means a lot), unibody design.
If 300 euros was the the price range of last years top-of-the-line phones with 720p screens, they must have been counterfeits...

imZadok

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd get it but the price is ridiculous, the phone holds a 480p screen, 512mb RAM and no Drive+ yet it's selling for 300 euros, screw that. Why is 820 cheaper? 300 euros is literally the price range of last years top of the line phones with 720p screen, Nokia should really fix their pricing and also fix their release schemes because nobody is gonna buy your phone 3 months after announcement.

Thankfully in Australia the value proposition is a lot better as local retailers are selling it well under the $429 retail price (I got mine for $347). The Drive limitation is also not an issue in Australia, and I don't play a lot of games so the 512mb of ram makes no difference to me. If those things are important then I'd recommend getting something else. Mind you, I believe the 720 is the best Lumia design Nokia has produced, so I hope this new design carries over to future Lumia devices for people that want more power and features.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes