Isn't lumia 920.. too big?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
This is a subjective question with no real answer. Is it to big for the OP; too big to hold; too big to fit into their pocket?

Possibly, and if so he/she should get a phone that better suits their needs. Asking a question about usage that depends upon the physical capabilities of the user or the expectations of the user is a subjective question. It is also based upon ignorance of how such a device is handled in day-to-day use (Not a derogatory reference, we are all ignorant of one issue or another. Ignorance by definition only means we are not educated in that area).

It's better to educate the OP rather than try to answer such an open-ended question. Bottom line OP, if you think it is too big it is too big.

Can a mod please close this thread?

I am enjoying hearing all the different opinions. Sure we can't make the decision for the OP and the questions is subjective but we can help the OP with opinions. By adding facts about the phone and comparisons based on our own experiences we are adding usable valuable input. The OP can use this input to help with his decision making process. Civil debate about facts is what we do here. Not giving people a chance to offer an opinion would be wrong. As long as this thread remains civil it is relevant and will remain open.

kcovert

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Wanted the largest possible screen that would still fit in my pocket and eliminate the desire for yet another device in between my laptop and phone that you'd have to carry, i.e. a tablet.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
This is a subjective question with no real answer. Is it to big for the OP; too big to hold; too big to fit into their pocket?

Possibly, and if so he/she should get a phone that better suits their needs. Asking a question about usage that depends upon the physical capabilities of the user or the expectations of the user is a subjective question. It is also based upon ignorance of how such a device is handled in day-to-day use (Not a derogatory reference, we are all ignorant of one issue or another. Ignorance by definition only means we are not educated in that area).

It's better to educate the OP rather than try to answer such an open-ended question. Bottom line OP, if you think it is too big it is too big.

Can a mod please close this thread?

Or if it bothers you that much, you could simply ignore the thread

pikablu0530

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, after using my 920 for a week now, then playing with my old Samsung Omnia 7 again, I keep saying "Why is the screen on the Omnia 7 so small??".

nokiafan99

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Not at all. Intact 4.5 inch pure view display is perfect. I love my 920. It fits into my pants pocket and isn't as delicate or plasticky as apple or android

Rudiepoo1

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
920 for me, definitely not too big. Coming from a SGSII while it was slimmer I've had no issue with the size of the 920 at all. I considered the 8X but ended up liking the 920's slightly bigger screen size and overall design better. Also can't figure out why the 16gig 8X is priced higher than the 920 while T-Mobile is offering the 16gig version for the same price as the 920.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Wrong!

GS3 70.6 X 136.6 X 8.6
L920 70.8 X 130.3 X 10.7

Looks to me like the GS3 is taller and L920 is .2 mm wider. Do you realize how much .2 mm is? The 6.3 mm in height makes the GS3 seem huge compared to the L920 its way more noticeable than the 2.1 mm in thickness difference. Now the 920 is heavier but it should be. It has a lot better hardware and sports a better display.

L920 display
4.5 ''
Touch screen technology
Capacitive Multipoint-Touch
Display resolution - Height
1280 pixels
Display resolution - Width
768 pixels
Display features
Polarization filter
Light time-out
Ambient light detector
Brightness control
Corning? Gorilla? Glass
Orientation sensor
Proximity sensor
High Brightness mode
RGB Stripe
Sunlight readability enhancements
Pixel density 332 ppi
Luminance 600 nits
Aspect ratio 15:9
Super sensitive touch
Color boosting
IPS
Refresh rate 60 Hz
Sculpted 2.5D glass
Display colors
16.7 million
Display technology
PureMotion HD+

So with the L920 you trade a better display and a more quality hardware for a little weight on a smaller device.

LOL. Sigh. How am I wrong? The Lumia 920 has the greater volume, fact. So unless you ignore the mass and space that this volume needs to take up, it looks like you are the one that is wrong here. Is a 2L bottle smaller than a 1.78L bottle just because the former is shorter? No. The Lumia 920 is bigger and you are wrong, period.

Please, the width and thickness make way more difference than the extra height of the GS3. Here is a question for you. Have you even used both handsets for a week or more? I have because I owned a GS3 for 6 months or so and I got to use the Lumia 920 for awhile because my friend at Rogers let me use it for a week. My experience, the GS3 is way easier to handle and pocket. Why? Like I said, the rectangle shape combined with the weight, thickness, and width make it appear huge. While the GS3 has curves everywhere that shaves off a lot of dimensions when you reach the borders. The 6.3mm in height really isn't noticeable at all next to the Lumia 920, probably because at the edges, that 6.3mm height difference disappears. The max height of the GS3 is probably only a fraction of the phone.

HAHAHA Cute. I love your specification listings to argue that the L920 has better hardware when the GS3 has most of those and wins in some pretty important areas to make up for what it doesn't have.

Namely the GS3 has a bigger screen, bigger battery, is way lighter, and yes, it has apps. Also, it doesn't creak anywhere or has rebooting issues. I wonder why. I guess it is that cheap hardware that makes it such a well rounded device with no creaks or heat problems or rattling.

AndroidJay

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia is not to big. It fits great in my hands and feels very well built. Part of the reason I decided on the Lumia is because I didn't want a phone that would be easy to break if it is dropped.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It is definitely not too big in my mind. Going from the 3.8" HTC Droid Incredible, it was a definite adjustment. It's not that I had problems, you just really noticed the size difference at first. I mostly noticed the width, but the more I've used the phone, the more I've loved it. I'm not concerned with the size at all anymore (never was concerned, really). It's large enough to somewhat enjoy videos on it, and it's thick enough to where I don't feel like I can break it with a tight squeeze.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am enjoying hearing all the different opinions. Sure we can't make the decision for the OP and the questions is subjective but we can help the OP with opinions. By adding facts about the phone and comparisons based on our own experiences we are adding usable valuable input. The OP can use this input to help with his decision making process. Civil debate about facts is what we do here. Not giving people a chance to offer an opinion would be wrong. As long as this thread remains civil it is relevant and will remain open.

Not certain what decision you believe you're helping the OP make, as he never said he wanted input to make a decision. He just stated the phone was too big for him and asked if others felt the same.For what reason I don't know; does anyone really believe that reading a few posts here will make the OP think the 920 is smaller?

But I was being a bit testy when I responded, I should just follow Tony's advice.

Jmaxim

Banned
Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i really wanted a lumia 920 since the first day nokia presented it, and today one friend of mine finally got it.
Yeah, it's amazing, great camera, great display, great audio, i loved all of it! Except.. the dimension! It's wayyy toooooo biiiiig, if i put it in my pocket i can't sit well (my pockets are not that big) and i always have the impression of having a little tablet on my hand, not a phone :(

Lumia 800 has the perfect sized phone, and i really hope to see that pure view camera in a lumia 800's sized phone, i can renounce to super sensitive touch, wireless charging, 60hz display, but not the camera :(

I'm the only one thinking that?
The 920 is big. Is it too big? My very first impression of it after seeing in the store was that it was a monster, however after seeing and playing with it a second time I found it not as big as my initial impression. If possible, you should purchase it and use it for a week or two. You may find there are other things you like about it that out weighs its size. For example, the color, speed, OS, Social integration, etc. On the other hand, you may find there are things you do not like about it and coupled with its size its not for you. For example, you may not like that email are not being pushed to the device, 90% of photos taken are too hazy, besides the home screen, overall screen appears dull, etc.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia is not to big. It fits great in my hands and feels very well built. Part of the reason I decided on the Lumia is because I didn't want a phone that would be easy to break if it is dropped.

All I seem to be reading about are cracked screens. You know you could get a very durable case and slap it on any phone.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
No way, great size. Compared to my iPhone 5, it feels like I've got some horse power under the because if the size. Love the little beast!
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon