Nokia Lumia 928 Bugs and Defects

el_bori1

Oct 31, 2007
Visit site
Just got my black phone last night from Amazon. I ordered two weeks ago, phone was supposed to ship for 5/28 but stock ran out.

First thing I noticed was some grubby fingerprints on the coffin case, which made me suspicious.

Second thing I noticed was that the camera button seems loose, definitely not tight like the other buttons. The nav buttons on the bottom were lit yellowish, and the home button was a little smudgy, but today the nav buttons do not light up at all!

Finally, I noticed that there is a noticeable gap between the glass and the plastic case along the top of the phone.

I just called Amazon to arrange for a replacement and what do you know, they are out of stock again. I suspect that the phone I received was a returned first production run. The good news is, despite the defects, I love the phone and the OS is outstanding. Looking forward to getting my replacement phone, whenever that might be.

I'm getting my black one from Amazon on Friday. I hope is from a new batch of phones.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

EDMmmmmmm

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Just got my black phone last night from Amazon. I ordered two weeks ago, phone was supposed to ship for 5/28 but stock ran out.

First thing I noticed was some grubby fingerprints on the coffin case, which made me suspicious.

Second thing I noticed was that the camera button seems loose, definitely not tight like the other buttons. The nav buttons on the bottom were lit yellowish, and the home button was a little smudgy, but today the nav buttons do not light up at all!

Finally, I noticed that there is a noticeable gap between the glass and the plastic case along the top of the phone.

I just called Amazon to arrange for a replacement and what do you know, they are out of stock again. I suspect that the phone I received was a returned first production run. The good news is, despite the defects, I love the phone and the OS is outstanding. Looking forward to getting my replacement phone, whenever that might be.

If possible can post a photo of the noticeable gap on the top edge?

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Got two of the white 928's (one for me, one for dad) within the first two weeks of availability. Dad's phone has the gloopy start button, mine is "ok" but I had hoped it would have been brighter. Major problem that I guess I'm going to have to take it back for is that my camera button has stopped working. Pressing the button 9 times out of 10 gets no response, only very occasionally now will it trigger the camera app and/or initiate a photo. This worked great for the first week but then after that it rapidly deteriorated. The button does not make the same healthy "click" sound that the volume and start buttons do, it just kind of moves. Makes me think that the button connection underneath has come loose.

Unless someone can make a suggestion for me I'm bringing this back to Best Buy for an exchange. If they even have one in stock to exchange. :cry:

pma

May 28, 2013
Visit site
If possible can post a photo of the noticeable gap on the top edge?

Yesterday, after I received the return authorization from Amazon, I decided to try squeezing the top front and back corners together. That closed the gap a bit, so now the difference is not as perceptible. Before squeezing I could have easily slid a business card into the gap, but now I can't. I made sure to squeeze with a gentle, even force on the outside edge.

Also, when I got home last night I noticed that the nav buttons do light up, but the light is so faint that you can only see it in dim light, and even then they look terrible. In daylight and in office light I can not see the glow at all.

My biggest concern at this point, especially in light of Jeffrey Fox's post above, is the loose camera button. Looks my return authorization is good until July 2, so I think I'll hang onto the phone for a few days before returning for an exchange since Amazon is currently out of stock anyway.

Oh yeah, one more thing. When I was on the train this morning I tried responding to this post on my phone, but was unable to type in the text box. The keyboard would pop up for a second then pop back down each time I tried. The phone only gave me the desktop version of the forum, not that mobile version that I used to get on my Nexus in case that makes a difference. I checked the web settings and it was set to "mobile version".

Still trying to figure out how to get my Google shared family calendar to show up on my wp calendar - I'll now be scouring the forum for more info on that :winktongue: My gmail mail, contacts and personal calendar all transferred over no problem, but not my family calendar which I created.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah, one more thing. When I was on the train this morning I tried responding to this post on my phone, but was unable to type in the text box. The keyboard would pop up for a second then pop back down each time I tried. The phone only gave me the desktop version of the forum, not that mobile version that I used to get on my Nexus in case that makes a difference. I checked the web settings and it was set to "mobile version".
Use the WPCentral app - and if you pay the price for the paid version, (hint - use your $25 credit), you'll be supporting a great app, and you'll be able to pin a custom tile with notifications.

EDMmmmmmm

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday, after I received the return authorization from Amazon, I decided to try squeezing the top front and back corners together. That closed the gap a bit, so now the difference is not as perceptible. Before squeezing I could have easily slid a business card into the gap, but now I can't. I made sure to squeeze with a gentle, even force on the outside edge.

Also, when I got home last night I noticed that the nav buttons do light up, but the light is so faint that you can only see it in dim light, and even then they look terrible. In daylight and in office light I can not see the glow at all.

My biggest concern at this point, especially in light of Jeffrey Fox's post above, is the loose camera button. Looks my return authorization is good until July 2, so I think I'll hang onto the phone for a few days before returning for an exchange since Amazon is currently out of stock anyway.

Still trying to figure out how to get my Google shared family calendar to show up on my wp calendar - I'll now be scouring the forum for more info on that :winktongue: My gmail mail, contacts and personal calendar all transferred over no problem, but not my family calendar which I created.

Yeah, camera button is a good reason to get a return. The text box thing is something I have seen on other websites as well, I second the comment that you should buy the WPCentral app it is awesome.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Also, since some message boards don't work well with the phone, there are a couple Tapatalk solutions out there. Board Express is one I've used, though I don't use it much.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm very sad to report that the Black version I just got from Amazon still have the goopy Windows capacity button.

Yep, I've had multiple of both colors and both are affected by the same defects unfortunately. This is actually starting to get silly. The current one that I have which I thought was mostly good, the vibration all of a sudden started rattling like some of the other ones I've had. I currently have a case open with Nokia, but if they can't fix these issues I might be done with this phone. I don't have the time or patience to keep dealing with this stuff no matter how much I love the phone. I'm not going to accept a $500 defective phone.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Well, I guess Nokia's ears were burning. Right after I made my last post, the manager of the person I was dealing with called me. She was very nice and understanding and she is going to extend me a one time swap directly through Nokia. Meaning I don't have to ship my phone off and be without it for 2 weeks. They are going to advance ship a phone to me and then I ship mine back.

I will keep you all updated.

el-bori

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Yep, I've had multiple of both colors and both are affected by the same defects unfortunately. This is actually starting to get silly. The current one that I have which I thought was mostly good, the vibration all of a sudden started rattling like some of the other ones I've had. I currently have a case open with Nokia, but if they can't fix these issues I might be done with this phone. I don't have the time or patience to keep dealing with this stuff no matter how much I love the phone. I'm not going to accept a $500 defective phone.

That's what I said to Verizon when I bought the white version from them. I called Amazon and they already send me a replacement. I'm hope this is the one.

jamsesh

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Man, some of this is rather discouraging. I'm up for renewal (Droid 3) and have been really excited about Verizon getting the 928. However, scouring this thread the last couple weeks, it sounds like just about everyone has to go through several phones to get one that is "acceptable," and even at that still has a defect like the button goop, creaks, floppy camera button etc. I'm really not content with substandard manufacturing. Has anyone in this thread ended up with a replacement phone that they are totally happy with? I need a compelling reason to dive into the foray of getting replacement after replacement...

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Man, some of this is rather discouraging. I'm up for renewal (Droid 3) and have been really excited about Verizon getting the 928. However, scouring this thread the last couple weeks, it sounds like just about everyone has to go through several phones to get one that is "acceptable," and even at that still has a defect like the button goop, creaks, floppy camera button etc. I'm really not content with substandard manufacturing. Has anyone in this thread ended up with a replacement phone that they are totally happy with? I need a compelling reason to dive into the foray of getting replacement after replacement...

I will admit that I am probably a lot more anal than some people here, but man, I really can't recommend jumping in.....at least yet. I have been through multiple returns, agony and embarrassment throughout this whole process. And this isn't a knock against the 928 as a phone....it's fantastic! If it wasn't, I would have given up on this many replacements ago.

So it's a tough call right now. As of now I can't whole heartedly recommend it since you might end up in a replacement frenzy. At the same time, the device is awesome and definitely worth owning.

Only you can make that call, good luck!

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I think you'd find that there are a lot more people quite happy with there phone that don't have these problems. Got mine launch days and its been fine

krycek1984

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Mine was great til today...driving home I notice two huge smudges on my screen. I wiped it with my shirt pretty hard and it went away. I started using it and the smudges came back. Tried cleaning it with eyeglass cleaner, and the smudges are these weird areas where nothing will stick too. Its terrible. Exchanging.

foobars

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. I powered the phone on/off and was able to receive text messages. Turns out it was the first time I cycled power since I got the phone. Elapsed time was about 2 days after getting phone from Verizon store.

WPButtcheeks

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Just picked up my Lumia 928 Saturday from Verizon, the window goop was a defect I can deal with but now I notice the right top corner creak. Not sure if that will turn into a bigger problem down the road. Love the phone but torn as to what to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3