Should I wait?

Badgerbrown

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Looking pretty hard at the Icon, but I'm wondering if I should wait until WP8.1 phones are out. I'll be new to WP but I keep reading different reviews (CNET/IGN/ETC) that the Icon is good, but waiting for the WP8.1 phones would be recommended. I'm new here, so please be nice. Thanks!

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Looking pretty hard at the Icon, but I'm wondering if I should wait until WP8.1 phones are out. I'll be new to WP but I keep reading different reviews (CNET/IGN/ETC) that the Icon is good, but waiting for the WP8.1 phones would be recommended. I'm new here, so please be nice. Thanks!

If you need it now, get a great phone, if you can wait until July, then wait. :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's up to you how long you want to wait. All current Windows Phone 8 devices will get the Windows Phone 8.1 upgrade. Windows Phone 8.1 devices will probably not be available until summer or fall.

Badgerbrown

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone! Patience is not my best feature, but I'm gonna stick it out with my current phone until some 8.1 devices come out :D

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Depends. Do you want a Lumia device on Verizon's network? If yes, don't wait. I doubt Verizon will get a WP8.1 Nokia device that's significantly better than the Icon.

If you want to see what the other guys bring, wait. The Samsung Huron (ATIV SE according to evleaks) could launch with 8.1, and it's similar to the S4. Also HTC is still rumored to be making a version of the One with WP in mind.

Don't forget, Verizon is terrible with getting high end devices early, with a few exceptions. Don't expect them to bend over backwards to jump on the 8.1 train.

macroweb

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Depends. Do you want a Lumia device on Verizon's network? If yes, don't wait. I doubt Verizon will get a WP8.1 Nokia device that's significantly better than the Icon.

If you want to see what the other guys bring, wait. The Samsung Huron (ATIV SE according to evleaks) could launch with 8.1, and it's similar to the S4. Also HTC is still rumored to be making a version of the One with WP in mind.

Don't forget, Verizon is terrible with getting high end devices early, with a few exceptions. Don't expect them to bend over backwards to jump on the 8.1 train.

I agree with Joel, I love the fun of riding the wave of new cellular technology, I bought the Icon; as there doesn't appear to be anything close over the next 6 -8 months. With that in mind I paid cold-hard-cash for the Icon off contract.

Over many years, I spent many bucks in the old days when PC's were all the rage, when the cellular rage slows down, like it has, then I learned to manage my dollars at a rate of 2x full performance value. Enjoy the ride, as I guess the next ride big ride will be in wearables.

Thanks!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It's going to be a lot longer than a month before Verizon gets another high end Nokia. More like 9 months... Minimum. I'd say, if you have an upgrade, use it. The sooner you use it, the sooner you'll have another one available. It's the best way to optimize your finances. This phone came out just a week ago, and it is SOLID. I'm loving it.

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to wait simply because of how Verizon prices it's phones. (especially Windows phones) I got the HTC 8X on day one for $199.99. not a month later it dropped 100 dollars and now its free. The Nokia 928 followed a similar fashion. When the phone gets to 99 on ether Verizon (or most likely Amazon) I'll jump ship.

Only if I can find someone to give me an upgrade. I don't want to lose my unlimited data!

Badgerbrown

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Okay, ordered my Icon last night. I actually found a promotional code in another forum that dropped the price (with 2yr contract) to 139.99. FYI the promo code is VERIZON30

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I think that you will definitely be glad that you pulled the trigger on the Icon. I had been keeping an upgrade available for quite some time waiting on a device I actually wanted, the 928 just didn't quite do it for me. While there are a couple things I wish the Icon had, waiting for that one perfect phone means you'll be waiting for a LONG time! I've been around Windows Phone and Verizon long enough to know now was likely the best time to get a device that was at least close to my ideal. And I haven't looked back since!

The specs on the Icon are great and I'm definitely loving it. Just like others have said, we're not likely going to see another high end Nokia on Verizon for some time. It took them ages to finally release the Icon. Everyone new about it for months yet for whatever reason, be it testing or bugs or whatever, it took them quite a while to actually release it. So based on that and their past release history it's not likely that we will see another high end Nokia anytime soon. If ever... who knows the next "Lumia" we see on Verizon might be from Microsoft if it's more than a year away.

As you're new to the WP ecosystem, just go into it with an open mind. There will be some adjustments to be made and you may find some apps or features missing. Ask around on the forums if you need because often times there are fantastic 3rd party apps to fill many of those remaining gaps (some of which are better than official apps) but they aren't always apparent.

In any case, I hope you enjoy the Icon and welcome to Windows Phone!

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Okay, ordered my Icon last night. I actually found a promotional code in another forum that dropped the price (with 2yr contract) to 139.99. FYI the promo code is VERIZON30
Congrats on the Icon and welcome to WP8! I currently have an 822 and I'm really showing some self control by not jumping on the Icon, cause it is mighty tempting! Any questions regarding apps or settings, don't hesitate to ask, folks in these forums are really helpful.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to wait simply because of how Verizon prices it's phones. (especially Windows phones) I got the HTC 8X on day one for $199.99. not a month later it dropped 100 dollars and now its free. The Nokia 928 followed a similar fashion. When the phone gets to 99 on ether Verizon (or most likely Amazon) I'll jump ship.

Only if I can find someone to give me an upgrade. I don't want to lose my unlimited data!

I'm also waiting. I got it when it was $199 also.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes