Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

uncleartie

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I've been running previews on the Icon since May of last year and have only one hiccup along the way. Yesterday's update has been no exception; build has been stable all along.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Please do us all a solid and give a review of how 14342 is on your Icon. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger, but a bit hesitant. I need email, text, and phone stability.
Well, after some headaches, it's running. Initially it hung on the Windows logo, and that was before they posted about resetting and waiting for 30-40 minutes. So I ended up using the device recovery tool and going back to 8.x. After coming back to 8.x I couldn't connect to my wifi at home. This is a problem I've had in the past, and don't know how it resolved. My step-son can't connect to my wifi, either, with his One M8. So there's something about my router that doesn't like at least one of the Win 8.x builds. My wife, however, has no problems with her 822. Go figure.

I had to go to my church to download further updates, so I sat there for about five hours last night getting back up to this build and downloading apps (in case I still couldn't connect when I got home). Fortunately, when I got home, I was able to connect.

So far, using it this am, I've seen a little bit of jittery responsiveness. Sometimes fine, other times, it hesitates enough to be noticed. Right now, it's been sitting on the wireless charger for a while and I just looked, and it's at 25% battery. I just restarted it before typing this to see if there was something hung that was keeping it from charging while on the pad.

The update did resolve my loss of microsoft account contacts that happened either when I installed Threshold to my Icon the first time last week or when the Outlook Mail app updated - not sure which caused it, but it's resolved now.

I'll post more later when I know more.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Please do us all a solid and give a review of how 14342 is on your Icon. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger, but a bit hesitant. I need email, text, and phone stability.
Ok - can't really say I'm excited about this at the moment... My phone sat on the Qi charger for about half an hour, and the battery went up 1% to 26%. I turned the phone off, and put it in the freezer. When I took it out about 15 minutes later, and turned it on, it was at 24%. That part doesn't surprise me, because temperature affects batteries, and the colder the temp, the lower the electron activity in the battery, so the lower it will read. No big deal. Now it's back on the charger, at 24%, and we'll see what it does. Posting this mostly so that people can follow the timeline and see where I'm at.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, it's 30 minutes later, and it's gone from 24% to 38%. That's a rate of 28% an hour. Not as good as I'd like to see, and hot again (which is to be expected), but at least it's rising.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
25 minutes later, and it's at 36%. Turned it off and threw it into the freezer for five minutes to cool it off, and here we go again...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok - I turned the phone on, spent about 6 minutes turning off background tasks, looking to see if I could figure out what app was eating my battery for lunch, and put it back on the charger, with it having dropped 11%, to 25% in that six minutes or so.

Boyd Bradford

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Look at Settings -> System -> Battery -> Battery Usage by App; Filter for "6 hours"

I have the latest build, installed last night, and Mail and Calendar has consumed 42% of the battery during this time (none of this was as background, all of it was marked "In Use".

I have seen this before - a SVCHOST process associated with the Mail application is continously consuming about 25% of the CPU, or 1 entire core. I am leaving my Icon plugged in for now to see if there is some purpose for this process and if it will complete on its own.If that doesn't work, I will try removing my mail settings.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Look at Settings -> System -> Battery -> Battery Usage by App; Filter for "6 hours"
Thanks for the tip.

It is now 75 minutes since my last post that stated amount, and my battery is at 30% with my phone roasting. A 5% increase in charge over 75 minutes, without me touching the phone once.

Looking at the usage over 6 hours as you suggest, I'm shocked. Settings is the top user, at 18%. Facebook Beta at 17% (uninstalling now). Microsoft Messaging at 16%. Start at 12%. WHAT????
And so on...

electricgary

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
Mine has gone to 8% in about 2 hours and doesn't seem to be charging now..I would like to do a reset but I can't because the battery level is too low. Not a great build by any stretch of the imagination.

Edit: The phone is finally resetting must be the battery is high enough. I will let you know how it works after.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm leaning toward doing a reset on mine, as well. I'm not at home, but I may do it when I get home, depending on how late it is. One of the things I'm discovering that I don't like is that there is no way to charge with the phone turned off. I never thought of that as a disadvantage until now.

electricgary

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
So far after reset the battery seems to be charging again and there are a lot of updates from the store but other than that all seems to be well so far. At least it is charging and fairly fast compared to what it was before. Lets hope the battery life is better than it was before reset. I won't really know until tomorrow after it charges tonight fully.

JaySeeDoubleYou

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I gotta tell ya, as an iPhone using Verizon customer who has really been a very strong cheerleader for Windows 10 mobile, and a tireless optimist for the fledgling new platform, I feel like a complete and total ***** that the idea of buying a used Icon and putting it on Insider Preview had never even occurred to me before reading Daniel's article! Not once!

I think it's BRILLIANT!!! :)

Previously, my only avenue for Windows 10 mobile had been a non-contract Lumia 520 with an AT&T SIM. I couldn't actually use it as a phone. All I could do was tinker around with it in WiFi, and not having an extra SD card, the 8GB internal memory got me basically nowhere. Plus it was just such a cheap, low grade phone, and as I understand it, preview updates for it have stopped - making it completely worthless to me now (.....I haven't been able to find it since we moved anyway, FWIW.)

This Icon, it's a few years old now, so it's no spec monster, it's also only a 5 inch" screen, when my self-imposed minimum for a "daily driver" is 5.5", like my 6+ (and a 6" is REALLY more my style - too bad there was never a Verizon variant of the 1520) - but the screen is supposedly gorgeous, and who cares if it's only FHD - my iPhone is only FHD! The 32GB internals should be enough to afford some more serious usage (and a machine this much more substantial than a 520 would probably make buying an SD justifiable)....

....but above all, it's a Verizon phone, so I can actually use this phone as, I don't know, a PHONE! I can just do the "SIM swap" thing with the iPhone, probably spend about 66% - 75% of my time on the Apple, and the rest on the Icon, and just do things that way.

It's a bummer that I won't have Continuum, as I am an ardent believer in it, and firmly convinced that it'll grow into something simply incredible in time. But it's so basic and limited in this early iteration that while I'd still much rather have it anyway, if I have to live without it for now, I can do that - especially for the meager $125 or so I'd have to shell out to get in on the phone.

I sorta think I HAVE to do it at this point. It's cheap, and yet still decent quality, and it gives me a chance to use Windows 10 as my actual phone, which if I really take the platform as seriously as I say I do, I really need to be on it. It's smaller than I'd like, but if I'm only using it 25% - 33% of the time, I'll deal. I'll always have the bigger iPhone in reserve, and if this turns out to be a failed experiment for some reason, I'll always have the iPhone to fall back on. So I'm really only ever going to be out $125, plus time and any money I spend in the store.

So, I think I'm going in, guys! Any words of advice? :)

Cheers!

jayblazer

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I just did this same thing.. Only the sim has never gone back into my 6+. Its now more or less an over sized ipod I let my kid use. Only thing different is I spent $200 on a new one on ebay. Since there were a lot of reports about the shortened battery life on W10 I didn't want a 2 year old one that was already tired. Especially since the batteries for these are very expensive with there being almost no second party batteries to be found.

JaySeeDoubleYou

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, I suppose the battery thing is a good point. Perhaps shelling out a little extra for brand new is the way to go...

.....something to mull over as it may be a little bit before I can actually do this.

Thanks for the tip, guys! The reset after the upgrade is a very good idea too!

Sheamartin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I have not tried that. I've done the hard reset and then tried just downloading the insider app, I've restored and tried. None of those work. And now for some reason I cannot get the Microsoft Health app to launch in any mode. That really sucks since it is synced to my Band. So I'm going to try to go to my original set up one more time. If I can get MS Health to open I'm staying put. If not, maybe I'll try connecting to pc.

I got connected with Microsoft Phone tech support. They helped me download a recovery app. Once my phone got started it went straight through to WP10. Now I'm just trying to get my Band to sync completely. So far I love the interface though.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm truly puzzled. All day long, my phone has been on the Qi charger, burning up and barely charging. I get to a meeting where I won't need my phone, so I plugged it into the wall, charging on USB. After about a 2 hour meeting, I grab my phone. It's cold. Like room temperature cold. I flip it on, and it's charged close to 80%. On the way home, I stick it in the Qi charger in the car, and listen to a podcast through Bluetooth. Get home, it's hot again. And down to 77% or something like that. The only think I can think of is that the problem is in the Qi charging. I don't understand how, but that's what I'm thinking. I shut it off for a while to cool off, and now it's plugged in again, charging on USB. We'll see...

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I finally took the dive and updated to Win 10. After all the updates I noticed it drained battery pretty fast. turned off almost every non-essential background task and now it seems to have settled down and its running down at a normal rate if not better.

Build seems pretty stable. There are a few hangs (especially on baconit) but its pretty good. The calendar is soooo much better for some reason. Maybe its the layout that makes it more usable. Once again I feel like I bought a new-ish phone. I think I can hang on until the surface phone comes along. If it isn't Verizon compatible then I'll have to move...maybe. For now though, I'm happy as a clam and hope redstone builds are offered and stable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgiHudi