WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I see there may be much hyper around the V40. Curious to see how LG pulls off the triple lens setup, if they go that route.

If they do, I'll likely skip the V40 and grab the by then cheaper G7 or source a V35. I still love the V30 design, so the V35 would be my pick there.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So people are buzzing about the Ticwatch Pro and it's dual screens. As a long-standing Android Wear user, I'm not as impressed. Yes, battery life seems good - but I used a Sony smartwatch 3, and that **** was useless at night, or rather, the ambient screen was.

I just don't see the effectiveness there. Yes, you're not in pitch black all the time at night, but tell me how easy it is to read those cheaper digital watch screens at night without enough light. At this point, I'd rather just the newer processor to better manage the battery life for the regular ambient mode, instead of going the two screen setup in the Ticwatch Pro.

But hey, that's just me.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

US populace with sense left: "Heaven help us all!"
Heaven: "You're on your own dealing with this numbskull. Have at it."
US populace with sense left: "Good grief! This will be like Hell on Earth!"
Hell: "No it isn't, as we have no space here for him. Take one for the team."

Take one for the team, lol. This is like the dark age for USA.
But worse.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Went to meeting with my co-workers. Damn meetings are boring . I had to doddle to keep awake
Simple truth number one. 95% of all meetings are boring.

The only meetings that aren't are ones that have an impact on you personally or that you're involved with.

All other meetings you'll fight to stay awake.

Second truth. 95% of most meetings are a waste of time and money. They typically don't achieve anything are not productive and are there just to make management feel good. (Large companies are prone to these things)

Third truth. If you're in a meeting with more than five people it's a waste of time typically.

Welcome to the world of work.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Simple truth number one. 95% of all meetings are boring.

The only meetings that aren't are ones that have an impact on you personally or that you're involved with.

All other meetings you'll fight to stay awake.

Second truth. 95% of most meetings are a waste of time and money. They typically don't achieve anything are not productive and are there just to make management feel good. (Large companies are prone to these things)

Third truth. If you're in a meeting with more than five people it's a waste of time typically.

Welcome to the world of work.
Well then it's safe to say it was a waste of time

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Well then it's safe to say it was a waste of time
I always had issues with department meetings. Aside from being boring (same info repeated) they became too frequent. Once a month. They used to be quarterly.

Team meetings are a different story because they do have impact on you.

General meetings can be trying because they go over accounting and so on. Lots of head nodding in those.

Another tip for you.

If you plan to get involved with a girl at work. Ensure she's in a different department than you and you have few to no dealings with each other. Though I never did the work romance thing I know of several people who did. That's the secret to success to those things.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I should point out that my comments are based on over 25 years of experience working for large international companies.

Buzzwords are what drive me crazy. The latest is 'innovation' in engineering... You'd think that would be logical...

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I always had issues with department meetings. Aside from being boring (same info repeated) they became too frequent. Once a month. They used to be quarterly.

General meetings can be trying because they go over accounting and so on. Lots of head nodding in those.

Another tip for you.

If you plan to get involved with a girl at work. Ensure she's in a different department than you and you have few to no dealings with each other. Though I never did the work romance thing I know of several people who did. That's the secret to success to those things.
There are alot of jaw dropping good looking women here. It surprises me.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I should point out that my comments are based on over 25 years of experience working for large international companies.

Buzzwords are what drive me crazy. The latest is 'innovation' in engineering... You'd think that would be logical...
A Hewlett packed rep that came said innovation about 25 times in an hour

Last edited:

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

If there is something I'm not used to is i don't get meet anyone outside my department. During lunch it feels kinda of
Ackwared sitting in a table where you don't know thr people there even though we work in the same company. Im used to knowing my workers.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Take one for the team, lol. This is like the dark age for USA.
But worse.
The Puritians battling the First Nation individuals during the early colonial days or the colonziers going west in the 1800s would respectfully disagree.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Another tip for you.

As someone who has done the work thing like this with varying degrees of succes, I'd have one tip for Sahib:

Don't do it.

Especially in your direct department. Especially in the age of social media and #metoo .

There's an old saying: "don't $#&! where you eat". She could be the best $#X you ever had, but when things go sideways and people get vindictive, you don't want anything to affect your ability to get paid whoever often your check comes in.

It is highly unlikely that you find a girl who knows how to keep her mouth shut and it may be challenging for you to keep your mouth shut and separate seeing her work side from her after work side. I'm not doubting your skills, but many a soul have failed.

I was only successful with lots of luck and a few other things...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I'm not a guy, but my coworker who I'm also friends with that is male (and only 4 years older than me, no idea how old you are Sahib), decided to date a coworker in the same department because everyone was filling these ideas in his head about the relationship and chemistry they have. So he tried that and when it went south, it was bad. She ended up having to leave. This happened before I knew him.

Another former coworker left like 2 years ago, because she didn't want things to get ugly with the guy who is part of the same section but different immediate department. I have no idea if they are still together but they did plan to get married...

I give props to those with success there, the struggle can be real. I couldn't do it, it can be a mess. To me, it's a little worse than dating someone in your social group and not having that work out, because that's where you have to be for several hours and days a week.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

As someone who has done the work thing like this with varying degrees of succes, I'd have one tip for Sahib:

Don't do it.

Especially in your direct department. Especially in the age of social media and #metoo .

There's an old saying: "don't $#&! where you eat". She could be the best $#X you ever had, but when things go sideways and people get vindictive, you don't want anything to affect your ability to get paid whoever often your check comes in.

It is highly unlikely that you find a girl who knows how to keep her mouth shut and it may be challenging for you to keep your mouth shut and separate seeing her work side from her after work side. I'm not doubting your skills, but many a soul have failed.

I was only successful with lots of luck and a few other things...
I don't disagree with you there. I was just trying to suggests that if he did get involved insure they are not in constant contact. Also, remember about consent, that should be obvious...

That way if things do go south it will be less impact, hopefully. Workplaces can be a nightmare...

But yes, it's best to avoid work romances. Especially with the work place harassment rules, etc. You don't need that in your life.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

If there is something I'm not used to is i don't get meet anyone outside my department. During lunch it feels kinda of
Ackwared sitting in a table where you don't know thr people there even though we work in the same company. Im used to knowing my workers.
Large companies are like that.

The last project I worked on had over 2000 people on it at my office. Internationally there were over 10,000.

The office had over 3000 people at it in total.

It takes time to meet people in large companies in other departments. But you will.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm not a guy, but my coworker who I'm also friends with that is male (and only 4 years older than me, no idea how old you are Sahib), decided to date a coworker in the same department because everyone was filling these ideas in his head about the relationship and chemistry they have. So he tried that and when it went south, it was bad. She ended up having to leave. This happened before I knew him.

Another former coworker left like 2 years ago, because she didn't want things to get ugly with the guy who is part of the same section but different immediate department. I have no idea if they are still together but they did plan to get married...

I give props to those with success there, the struggle can be real. I couldn't do it, it can be a mess. To me, it's a little worse than dating someone in your social group and not having that work out, because that's where you have to be for several hours and days a week.
The last company I worked at the guy sitting next to me married someone at work. Different departments though so they have little contact except through the internal messenger. They also have a separate social lifes and interests. Which I think is important.

At another company I worked at there was a couple there who've been together for over 20 years. Same situation of having little to no contact during work hours. I believe that's where I got that information from. I think I asked him about it.

I've never had much opportunity to meet someone at work simply because of the work I do. These days it's changed a lot from when I started though. For the better as far as I'm concerned.

I do know though that when things go south they go real bad. Having that at work is not something anyone wants.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

I guess it depends on the culture in your company. I married my wife who works in a different department some ten years ago.
There is little contact between our two dept....
But things changes... A few years back, she got transferred to my department. It's not a problem cos the bosses think a having a couple in the same dept is OK cos they trust us!!

... !

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I guess it depends on the culture in your company. I married my wife who works in a different department some ten years ago.
There is little contact between our two dept....
But things changes... A few years back, she got transferred to my department. It's not a problem cos the bosses think a having a couple in the same dept is OK cos they trust us!!

... !
Thanks for reinforcing the common point: distance and separation (i.e. not in the same department).

So my GF and I were in the same department. But due to the differences in our jobs, we weren't directly around each other all the time. We would cross paths all the time though. Now, people in the office thought we should date because they suspected the GF was interested in me.
Even then, she had a moment where she called me by a nickname she uses at home once. Fortunately, not a lot of colleagues were around.

I often would have to deal with the rumors, never confirming, often deflecting. It was a running joke amongst some of my immediate team members. I'd hear it more when we were both took time off at the same time. Because of who we were at work, if it came out it would have been ok, but sometimes colleagues acted like they were in high school and staying quiet was best. We both had good reputations as being professional and wanted to leave it at that.

So even in a setting like that, it took maturity and a high level of discipline and discretion to maintain.

Yup, don't do it. As even with all of the above, if it went south while I worked there, it still at best would be very awkward.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I picked up Andy's headphones. So far the short version:

They are louder and cleaner than the Xiaomi. They still aren't worth $99 and I wished they tweaked the design in a few areas.

The work flawlessly with both devices and as such are the new daily drivers if they hold up well enough today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon