I Am Hungry! - Post Your Eats!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Lunch today - Fried split lentil fritters with serrano chilies, onions and cilantro and a cup of tea.

Attachments

• WP_20141215_001.jpg
    WP_20141215_001.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 91295

Prime Rib...8 oz.
We went to The Outback this evening to celebrate a birthday with dinner.
Mmmmm...yum...yum...
The Outback, the Australian themed restaurant???

I took my wife there when we first got together (she's Australian) and she had a laugh at the idea of 'Australian food'.

We need to go back one day so we can both have a laugh now. After spending 7.5 years there myself I'm sure I'll find it amusing now too.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
We've had an Australian Outback restaurant by us for about 5 to 7 years. When it first opened I wanted to try it, but I read reviews that said you check in and they give you a pager and they tell you to come back when the pager goes off. Most people said it was a 2 hour wait. About a year later I checked the reviews again and people were saying the same thing, so I have never had a meal at the Australian Outback restaurant in the states.

I know nothing about Australian cuisine. What type of food should an Australian restaurant serve?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
We've had an Australian Outback restaurant by us for about 5 to 7 years. When it first opened I wanted to try it, but I read reviews that said you check in and they give you a pager and they tell you to come back when the pager goes off. Most people said it was a 2 hour wait. About a year later I checked the reviews again and people were saying the same thing, so I have never had a meal at the Australian Outback restaurant in the states.

I know nothing about Australian cuisine. What type of food should an Australian restaurant serve?
Vegimite sandwich.... Fro m the song by Men At Work☺

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I've read about Vegemite, I am not sure I would like it, but I would give it a try. :straight:

Spread thinly. It's a bit salty. It looks like a paste. Reminds me of tile grout in it's thickness. Don't have it as a 'sandwich' but on toast with a bit of butter.

You should be able to find it somewhere in the US. I wouldn't doubt it's available on Amazon. :p

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Well, where to start...

It's a bit difficult to answer this question, it's kind of like asking, what really is 'American' food or 'Canadian' food. Both of these places along with Australia have influences from other cultures so ingrained now that most people don't realise it comes from a different place entirely.

There's a lot of Australasian flavours in Australia. Food is generally fresh, light and flavourful at most places if you go to a restaurant. Depending on where you live, seafood is rather big. Indian, Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese, Italian, Moroccan, Turkish (love Turkish Pide, very popular in Australia), etc. It's all there in Australia.

If we were to look at what the more 'red neckish' Australian eats, then you're looking at sausages, typically (though lots of Aussies like them), steaks (cheap cuts in other words) on the BBQ. Prawns (shrimp) are not in most people's diet. Fish and chips and other seafood is. Roast chicken from a shop (Chicken Shop as it's typically called) is also popular. Salads are big. If you're more in the outback then you're looking more of meat and veg diet as the ocean is a bit out of the way. Fruit is big in Australia as well. There's also deep fried favourties like chips (French fries) and other things. Burgers too! None of which are on the menu at the Outback.

So I'm not entirely sure what the Outback is really selling. It's like an American idea of Australian flavours, I guess, but that's virtually impossible to capture. Looking at the menu (Outback Steakhouse - assuming that's the same menu) I'm left wondering if the person who set up this restaurant has ever been to Australia or just used Crocodile Dundee as an influence because I can tell you, none of those items on that menu, aside from the basics (prawns, lamb and steak, etc) are common. Probably the biggest miss is a hamburger with 'the lot' or anything with pineapple.

I wouldn't say anything on that menu is a reflection of anything really Australian personally.

Last edited:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Tuesday Breakfast - His and her omelets made with Egg Beaters egg whites, rotisserie chicken, black olives, onion with one topped with smoked gouda cheese. Fried chicken slices and toast.

Attachments

• tuesdaybreak.jpg
    tuesdaybreak.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Tuesday Lunch - Italian roast beef and provolone cheese in a flour tortilla

Attachments

• IMG_20141216_152224.jpg
    IMG_20141216_152224.jpg
    752.8 KB · Views: 4

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Wednesday Breakfast - His and her omelets made with Egg Beaters egg whites, Italian roast beef, black olives, onion, topped with provolone cheese, and a toasted english muffin.

Attachments

• IMG_20141216_235405.jpg
    IMG_20141216_235405.jpg
    727.6 KB · Views: 7

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Thursday Morning - His/Her breakfast bowls made with Egg Beaters egg whites, ham, hash browns, onion and black olives.

Attachments

• IMG_20141217_232327.jpg
    IMG_20141217_232327.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon