02-20-2015 05:29 PM
295 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Good episode tonight. Neil deGrasse Tyson is doing a good job with the series.
    Guytronic, N_LaRUE and muneshyne21 like this.
    03-30-2014 09:53 PM
    Good episode tonight. Neil deGrasse Tyson is doing a good job with the series.
    I'll get around to seeing it sometime I guess. :/
    palandri and muneshyne21 like this.
    03-31-2014 02:09 AM
    Damn Im two episodes behind. Dont worry I'll catch up at work
    palandri likes this.
    03-31-2014 03:51 PM
    Tonight on Cosmos: "Hiding In The Light" How light travels and the infrared universe.
    N_LaRUE and muneshyne21 like this.
    04-06-2014 11:09 AM
    Ok lets have fun with this one:
    News flash: Strange light on Mars causes some brains to puff up - The Big Science Blog

Now keep in mind that debunking an idea with conjecture is just as narrow minded as trying to prove it with conjecture.
    Facts:
    -This photo is authentic
    -A second photo was taken a few seconds/minutes? after the this photo was taken by the other camera on curiosity that doesn't show the light.
    -There is no definitive proof of it being a camera/data glitch OR an artificial light.
    - This same light was shown on another photo with the same non-light copy taken not too long afterwards.

My guesses:
    -Some weird natural geyser like phenomena that dies really quickly
    -An artificial light that blinks very slowly
    -perfect sun reflection into the lens off of a highly reflective surface. The second camera is at a slightly different angle so wont see the reflection.
    -E.T. phoning home.

I'm leaning towards the latter hypothetical.
    palandri likes this.
    04-09-2014 06:20 PM
    I would guess reflection
    N_LaRUE and muneshyne21 like this.
    04-09-2014 07:17 PM
    I would guess reflection
    Awwww you're no fun.
    palandri likes this.
    04-09-2014 11:30 PM
    Tonight on Cosmos: Deeper, Deeper, Deeper Still

Exploring the universe on the smallest scale, including exotic life forms invisible to the eye. The neural network in the brain. The most mysterious particle.

I wonder if he's going to get into quantum physics where a particle can be in two different places at the same time? I get confused every time I hear someone talking about it.
    muneshyne21 likes this.
    04-13-2014 07:05 PM
    Tonight on Cosmos: Deeper, Deeper, Deeper Still

Exploring the universe on the smallest scale, including exotic life forms invisible to the eye. The neural network in the brain. The most mysterious particle.

I wonder if he's going to get into quantum physics where a particle can be in two different places at the same time? I get confused every time I hear someone talking about it.
    It's one of those things they're still determining I thought. I've seen the 'simple' version of the experiment on a TV show. I think it was Brian Cox but it may have been someone else. It's a weird phenomenon. Especially when the get the 'observer' involved. It's a bit of a mind bend.
    palandri and muneshyne21 like this.
    04-14-2014 02:04 AM
    Tonight on Cosmos: "The clean room" Geo-chemist Clair Patterson develops the uranium-lead dating method and draws attention to the negative effects of lead in the environment.
    muneshyne21 and N_LaRUE like this.
    04-20-2014 10:18 AM
    So I am watching a show on the Science channel tonight and they're talking about the speed of light being the speed limit. Then I thought:

Let's say we have point A, B and C. Point A and C are moving away from point B at the speed of light in opposite directions.

Question #1. Would point A be to see point C moving away?

Question #2. If point A could see point C, wouldn't it be moving away at twice the speed of light?

Question #3 Technically aren't they moving away from each other at twice the speed of light?
    04-24-2014 12:11 AM
    I had to go find the explanation. I recall a presentation from Lawrence Krauss where he touched on this a bit. He was describing how the universe's current expansion and speed means that one day in the future we may not even be able to see stars because they'll be so far away. In any case. To answer.

The speed of light is based on the point of view of the observer. It's a constant so regardless where you are everything will move at that rate. Therefore, A and C will simply be going at the same speed from one another but increasing in distance.

I think I explained that right.
    palandri likes this.
    04-24-2014 05:42 AM
    I had to go find the explanation. I recall a presentation from Lawrence Krauss where he touched on this a bit. He was describing how the universe's current expansion and speed means that one day in the future we may not even be able to see stars because they'll be so far away. In any case. To answer.

The speed of light is based on the point of view of the observer. It's a constant so regardless where you are everything will move at that rate. Therefore, A and C will simply be going at the same speed from one another but increasing in distance.

I think I explained that right.
    On the show they were talking about the Hubble telescope, where they pointed it at a spot that they thought was empty space, but instead found thousand of galaxies. They said it appeared the galaxies were moving away faster than the speed of light. I thought, well if we are point A and depending on where point B is, point C being the galaxies, may very well be moving away at faster than the speed of light. Then I thought, how could we possibly see them, even with the Hubble, if they are moving away at the speed of light or greater.
    04-24-2014 06:07 AM
    Found this near earth asteroid chart that I thought was pretty neat on this webpage: SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids
    Attached Thumbnails nearearth.jpg  
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    04-25-2014 01:13 PM
    04-25-2014 07:40 PM
    A major meteor storm is predicted for May 23-24 due to the earth passing through debris left by comet 209P/LINEAR There could be up to 1000 shooting stars an hour.

May Meteor Storm Alert: All Eyes on the Sky!
    05-03-2014 09:05 AM
    Tonight on Cosmos: "The Lost Worlds Of Planet Earth" Examining the autobiography of the earth. Geologist Marie Tharp creates the first map of the ocean floor and finds microscopic life.
    05-04-2014 08:25 AM
    Just had a cool conversation with my dad and step mom about random stuff including science and faith.
    I realized:
    -That it takes faith to do science (faith in an answer or explanation and a cause for things. Faith that there is something that makes things tick and that it isn't just magic)
    -Even though science is made to eliminate the need for faith (because we wouldn't need to take anyone's word for it since there are documented studies/tests to prove they work).
    -Strangely enough science just increases our faith because the more we learn, the more we realize we don't know.

The national debate sometimes seems to pit one against the other even though they are both essential to each other. I wish we could get back to the symbiotic relationship we had with the two. We would be so much more productive as a civilization and, in a sense, it would bring us closer to God (or Gods or whatever you believe in)
    05-05-2014 12:32 AM
    Just had a cool conversation with my dad and step mom about random stuff including science and faith.
    I realized:
    -That it takes faith to do science (faith in an answer or explanation and a cause for things. Faith that there is something that makes things tick and that it isn't just magic)
    -Even though science is made to eliminate the need for faith (because we wouldn't need to take anyone's word for it since there are documented studies/tests to prove they work).
    -Strangely enough science just increases our faith because the more we learn, the more we realize we don't know.

The national debate sometimes seems to pit one against the other even though they are both essential to each other. I wish we could get back to the symbiotic relationship we had with the two. We would be so much more productive as a civilization and, in a sense, it would bring us closer to God (or Gods or whatever you believe in)
    I'd rather not get into this discussion personally. It will end up upsetting people either way.

In my opinion, science doesn't eliminate faith, it's up to the individual to decide what 'faith' is to them. There is no 'faith' in science. Only answers to questions. What you personally get out of those answers is up to you but in my opinion what the answer is has nothing to do with faith or a supernatural being or whatever you wish to call it. If we always leave the unanswered question as 'god did it' then science would be pointless and would never have advanced as we have.

I can give you a whole run down of what I mean but there's no point going this direction in this thread as it's not about this topic. A simple way to look at thing is this, to me anyway, we may not know all the answers, we may never know them, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible to know. That's science. The gaps continue to be closed and made smaller and smaller.
    05-06-2014 03:11 AM
    I'd rather not get into this discussion personally. It will end up upsetting people either way.

In my opinion, science doesn't eliminate faith, it's up to the individual to decide what 'faith' is to them. There is no 'faith' in science. Only answers to questions. What you personally get out of those answers is up to you but in my opinion what the answer is has nothing to do with faith or a supernatural being or whatever you wish to call it. If we always leave the unanswered question as 'god did it' then science would be pointless and would never have advanced as we have.

I can give you a whole run down of what I mean but there's no point going this direction in this thread as it's not about this topic. A simple way to look at thing is this, to me anyway, we may not know all the answers, we may never know them, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible to know. That's science. The gaps continue to be closed and made smaller and smaller.
    I guess Im using the term "faith" loosely. Im not a praying man myself but what I mean is that you have to believe there is an explanation to things. You need faith that there is an answer. Faith that your hypothesis makes sense. If you didnt believe there is a reasonable explanation/method then you wouldn't even try to figure it out. I think in the beginning of most innovations (like the first plane or the telephone) where the actual science/technology was still uncertain and untested, a great deal of faith was required to prove it could be done. Im pretty sure the Wright brother that was on the first flight was praying like a mofo to not die.
    My post above is more of a philosophical observation than a religious argument. Science uses the mechanism of faith to expand our knowledge and curiosity of the great expanse which can also lead to a growth in spirituality as well.
    I know the trolling I could induce by creating an Organized Religion thread so I will stick to our cool sciency/discuss the universe thread instead. I really, really, really want to post UFO related things on here but I fear this discussion may turn into little green men x-files rants.
    05-06-2014 02:19 PM
    Huge cylindrical UFO captured by Mars Curiosity Rover - Honolulu exopolitics | Examiner.com

Ok couldnt resist. Here's one to discuss.

-Its not exposure times
    -each of the 5 shots was 2 minutes apart. This object was observed for a total of 10 minutes.
    -It took a very linear consistent path downwards.
    -There is a strange black patch that seems to follow it below and right of it (some kind of reflection or lens glitch?)
    -Another separate picture shows that a moon was passing by around the same time I think but cant find the link to the picture
    -no official explanation from NASA yet...I think.
    05-06-2014 02:29 PM
    I guess Im using the term "faith" loosely. Im not a praying man myself but what I mean is that you have to believe there is an explanation to things. You need faith that there is an answer. Faith that your hypothesis makes sense. If you didnt believe there is a reasonable explanation/method then you wouldn't even try to figure it out. I think in the beginning of most innovations (like the first plane or the telephone) where the actual science/technology was still uncertain and untested, a great deal of faith was required to prove it could be done. Im pretty sure the Wright brother that was on the first flight was praying like a mofo to not die.
    My post above is more of a philosophical observation than a religious argument. Science uses the mechanism of faith to expand our knowledge and curiosity of the great expanse which can also lead to a growth in spirituality as well.
    I know the trolling I could induce by creating an Organized Religion thread so I will stick to our cool sciency/discuss the universe thread instead. I really, really, really want to post UFO related things on here but I fear this discussion may turn into little green men x-files rants.
    To be blunt, I don't like the word faith and science in the same sentence. It easy to misconstrue and misunderstand your point, as I obviously did. Still, I will disagree with you. I'm not saying some things were not simply a guess at being right but most experiments fail but even failure brings information.

The thing to understand is this. Science works and it works well. When things are wrong they get corrected. When things don't make sense the get questioned. Argument is a big part of science. Honesty is the second part. Admitting when you're wrong is very humbling and an honest scientist will do that. Acknowledging when you don't know something is the right thing for a scientist to do. Unfortunately people see this as a weakness.

That's why I don't like the word 'faith' as it has very little do with it.
    05-06-2014 02:45 PM
    Huge cylindrical UFO captured by Mars Curiosity Rover - Honolulu exopolitics | Examiner.com

Ok couldnt resist. Here's one to discuss.

-Its not exposure times
    -each of the 5 shots was 2 minutes apart. This object was observed for a total of 10 minutes.
    -It took a very linear consistent path downwards.
    -There is a strange black patch that seems to follow it below and right of it (some kind of reflection or lens glitch?)
    -Another separate picture shows that a moon was passing by around the same time I think but cant find the link to the picture
    -no official explanation from NASA yet...I think.
    LOL! I am watching the History channel right now and it's Brad Meltzer's Decoded about UFO's It's a mathmatical impossibility that there isn't other life outside of earth.

I have no idea what that object is. I do still wonder about the face on Mars.
    Attached Thumbnails pio_med.gif  
    Last edited by palandri; 05-06-2014 at 03:14 PM.
    05-06-2014 03:00 PM
    LOL! I am watching the History channel right now and it's Brad Meltzer's Decoded about UFO's It's a mathmatical impossibility that there isn't other life outside of earth.

I don't disagree with the idea of life outside this planet. As stated by many scientist it seems illogical if there wasn't. The question is, how much intelligent life is out there.

The face rock is just that, a rock. Cydonia (region of Mars) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As humans we have a tendency to look for faces. It's only natural. Have you never stared at something on a floor or some scribbles and saw a face?
    05-06-2014 03:24 PM
    That's why I don't like the word 'faith' as it has very little do with it.
    Ok, ok, I wont use the term faith because it has religious implications. How about "Belief in Something". It could be as simple as a belief that they can complete their experiment regardless of the outcome. Even the term "hope" can work. I'm using these terms to describe the motivating force to do science not to describe how science is conducted

I had such a UFO geek ***** when that picture came out. It was sad to eventually see more detailed pictures of the rock formation. Those black dots are actually missing data from the picture. One just happens to be perfectly placed to look like a nostril. The rest is just perfect angles of the sun casting shadows. The Curiosity rover is getting me excited again because of the higher resolution images that can be taken.
    Last edited by muneshyne21; 05-06-2014 at 06:04 PM.
    05-06-2014 05:52 PM
295 ... 45678 ...