Fast cars.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I know the big auto show starts in Detroit this week, and I love to see some of the very cool things that come from there. One thing that always bothers me is why the heck do we keep building cars with 400 horsepower or more? I end up seeing a million commercials showing everybody driving like a crazy person with all the disclaimers scrolling across the screen and it drives me nuts. Driving is the most dangerous thing we do on a daily basis and it needs to be done safer so we can all arrive home at night rather than at the morgue.:angry:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Designing a performance car is an engineering feat. Designing an engine that can reliably deliver that amount of power and also be reliable, as well as the aerodynamics and suspension to allow the car to keep the car stable at speed. So, it is a message to consumers when a brand can deliver a car like that, especially today, when they are using increasingly complex and innovative designs to deliver powerful cars that are also efficient.

Also, there are plenty of legal venues for performance car drivers to drive their cars above the legal limit, such as race tracks that have track days or whatever.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Good points, however electrics, hybrids, mass transit, self driving cars, Uber, and Lift all seem to be the directions that we are shifting towards. As far as the venues for racing cars goes, it would seem that they are the roads,streets and highways that I drive on a daily basis. NHTSA shows we managed to kill 32,675 people in 2014 and injured 2.3 million more. While safety is better, it would seem that there is room for improvement.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Safer highways is a important goal, but there are many factors involved in automobile accidents. Weather, driving while distracted, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, etc, are all major causes of accidents. Not to mention that a driver can speed, drive aggressively, cut off other drivers, get road rage, or text and drive just as easily in a Corolla with 140 HP as they can in a 400 HP Mustang.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
And there are laws trying to prevent people from texting, using phones(in some states), and people can be charged for aggressive\careless driving. We don't need cars with 400 hp on the road.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Cars that drive themselves, at least part of the time are definitely the future, and the not-too-distant future. However, self driving cars don't currently work off of primary closed access multi-lane highways.

Also, outlawing cars, as your previous link may work in high density urban areas, but I live in a rural area, where there isn't public transportation for my commute, and self driving cars wouldn't currently work on the secondary roads that make up a large part of my drive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa