From EVO to WP7

eloychristopher

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey Everybody!!!
I am hoping to get some advice. I am moving over from Android to WP7. I am looking at two different phones, with Sprint and Verizon.
With Sprint I am looking at the Arrive, and with Verizon the Trophy.

I want to know what your thoughts are about these phones. How easy are they to "Jailbreak / root"? Besides the fact that they only have 16gb space and no easy accessible way to the SD card, how are they when it comes to keeping both apps, music and videos? Besides the 16gb SD card do either have any on-board memory? What about speaker quality?

I know there are many more questions, but I want to know what you all think. Leaving my EVO will be a bit of a heart breaker, and I want to stay with HTC, unless I can score a new Nokia soon. But I am tired of having my WP7 themed EVO, and I am ready to enjoy the Mango crowd.

Thanks!

Mike-Mike

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I love my HTC Arrive, I still have plenty of space on it too. I did not jailbreak it though.

I also dont really use the speaker, I usually keep it on vibrate, and if I use it for music I use my headphones

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
they're easy to unlock, I dev unlocked my quantum in two minutes and customized the **** out of it.

I had a HTC incredible s before this, wp7 is such a smooth enjoyable experience.

You'll love it

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
The Arrive is a killer beast of a device very solid. I did have speaker issues I had my speaker blow in my arrive 6 times. Three times I got new devices and 3 times they rebuilt my phone in the store added a new speaker. The last one is still going strong after about 3 months. When the speaker is not blown it has a great sound loud and clear. There is no jailbreak on WP7 you can developer unlock the phone Chevron will do the trick but it will cost you $10. Its a simple process and will allow you to side load apps. No expandable memory on any Windows Phones but you do get Skydrive which gives you cloud storage for whatever you want to put in it.

eloychristopher

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so far for all the info.
IDK if it is the same on the arrive, but I have read that if you do a teardown on the Trophy, and void you warranty, it has a SD slot deep inside. Is that true for the Arrive? And as far as doing a Dev Unlock what are some of the things you can do to the phone besides Side Load apps?

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so far for all the info.
IDK if it is the same on the arrive, but I have read that if you do a teardown on the Trophy, and void you warranty, it has a SD slot deep inside. Is that true for the Arrive? And as far as doing a Dev Unlock what are some of the things you can do to the phone besides Side Load apps?
custom accent colours and background colours..

Tons of reg hacks.

There are a lot of killer homebrew applications too, folders, etc..

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I was going to ask what the benefit is in WP7 of unlocking. It's not like Android where rooting has tangible benefits.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I was going to ask what the benefit is in WP7 of unlocking. It's not like Android where rooting has tangible benefits.

The main benefit is that you can run applications that are not marketplace approved. So if a third party makes an app that doesn't get marketplace approval, but they make it available for free, you could side load it.

There are also a few mods like custom tile colors and such.

But the advantages aren't anything like rooting an Android device. Many people root Android devices just so they could get them to work in a way they find acceptable. That isn't as big an issue with WP7.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Just FYI, you switching over to devices that are at the end of life. They are being phased out. Old hardware, etc.

It just sucks Verizon and Sprint are not getting new phones asap.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
A lot of earlier homebrew apps don't work w/Mango. Maybe just me, but it seem like there's less working homebrew apps avail now. Of course, some have been replaced by marketplace apps. Btw, I have one in the app spotlight forum if anyone's interested. :)

If buying phones off-contract, older devices are more cost effective. I have a co-worker with a Titan and Galaxy Nexus. Too much flow to drop for me.

Friends don't let friends buy CDMA phones. ;)

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

eloychristopher

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The more I read about all of your responses, the more excited I am about this platform.
And I do know that both these devices are at the end of their life, but I only have limited means, and At&t won't be getting my business again, even tho they do have a few great phones.
I keep hoping that Verizon makes a play for the Nokia WP7, but I am tired of my EVO and am itching for the change now.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I would be very careful trying to upgrade the internal SD Card within the Arrive (If it has one), HD7, and Mozart. I've tried 2 16GB, and 2 32GB SanDisk cards within my Mozart, and not a single one has worked correctly within the device. Sure I get the storage but it performs poorly and there is some inconsistancy in how the device works. None of the cards performed well enough in the device to replace the original SanDisk SD Card.
I fix them... so luckily if I break one, I can easily replace it.

I haven't taken an Arrive apart yet. One of the only devices I haven't really opened up at Sprint yet. Rarely get those back in for service ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon