Sharing from SkyDrive

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You know, the whole point of SkyDrive to me (when it come to mobile devices) is to give me access to my files where ever I am at. Also allowing me not to use up limited local storage.

So why is there not an easier way to share a photo from sky drive via messaging? Why must I download the photo first? Please MS, for the love of easiness, in a future update open up other sharing options for files in SkyDrive without needing to download them.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'd also like a way to share JUST the image or file you're wanting to share. Not put it into a viewer on SkyDrive that shows the rest of the contents of the folder, but enable us to give out a link to a file, and the recipient can only see that file.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I know that feel bro.
I would like to use skydrive to attach files to emails, too. But not just images... all kind of files.
Maybe this is too much in a world designed for monkeys.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd also like a way to share JUST the image or file you're wanting to share. Not put it into a viewer on SkyDrive that shows the rest of the contents of the folder, but enable us to give out a link to a file, and the recipient can only see that file.

I'm pretty sure you can do that, at least from the SkyDrive website. Share the file as Public (it's under "Get a link") and, once you've set the permissions, right-click on the file and select "View Original". You can then send that URL around, and it's a URL just for that one item.

Not tried that with anything other than pics, though.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... I'm at work, and we're blocked from SkyDrive here, so I'll have to look at that later. I've never seen a way other than clicking the share, then (I'm thinking here), view only..... I don't think I've ever tried right click and seeing View Original. I'll have to try to remember to look when I get home. Thanks.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm... I'm at work, and we're blocked from SkyDrive here, so I'll have to look at that later. I've never seen a way other than clicking the share, then (I'm thinking here), view only..... I don't think I've ever tried right click and seeing View Original. I'll have to try to remember to look when I get home. Thanks.

Verified:

https://otvkng.bn1.livefilestore.co...P7ifr_MTTLpR3CPLPk/IMG00040-20091230-1356.jpg

That's shared with public access, then opened via "View Original" on the image's context menu.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
(I'm going to remove the picture, now, as it's just sitting in the root of my SkyDrive and that offends my A.R. sensibilities. :D )

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you can do that, at least from the SkyDrive website. Share the file as Public (it's under "Get a link") and, once you've set the permissions, right-click on the file and select "View Original". You can then send that URL around, and it's a URL just for that one item.

Not tried that with anything other than pics, though.

Weird, I did exactly that and sent it to my buddy to test, and it asked him for my password.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Weird, I did exactly that and sent it to my buddy to test, and it asked him for my password.

Yes, that was my experience as well. One time I had to upload a large file for someone to download, and there was no way to give him a simple download link without requiring login. I finally got a link but it was a workaround. Basically you have to start the download yourself, then copy the address of the download webpage.

I know this is a Microsoft forum and most users here use SkyDrive (I do too), but I also use Google Drive. It's much easier to share and download from.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Well I know you guys all posted some valid ways to do this. And they work. But I was looking for native support from within the pictures hub itself. If the photo is stored locally in the device, you can share it (from camera roll, saved pics, or screenshots). But as you all know, your mobile uploads, skydrive camera roll and facebook photo albums all reveal themselves in the ALBUMS portion of the pictures hub. If you nav into one of these other cloud folders you cant share from them. The only option when pressing ... is save to phone, delete, set as lockscreen, add view tags. No sharing!

This is what I am looking for in future updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes