[Official] Initial thoughts on Developer Preview of WP8.1

tardismatrix22

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Initial thoughts on Developer Preview of WP8.1

How do I manually check for updates? I tap the check for updates, and I get a message saying that I should let it do it automatically.

Davingtons

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site

Does anyone know where the new native podcast app is? And lock screen app developed by Rudy that Belfiore showed during build?
Podcasts app should be under your list of apps as "Podcasts".
When I upgraded, it did install this as a separate download from the store, so if the store's currently still down, you may not have it yet.

Dave Bhullar

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

Podcasts app should be under your list of apps as "Podcasts".
When I upgraded, it did install this as a separate download from the store, so if the store's currently still down, you may not have it yet.
Thanks, found the podcasts app. I guess the lockscreen app is still under development

dzeremi

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site

Gallery is better on WP8. Now in gallery background is black :( I love random image from gallery as background like on WP8

megmac611

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site

I am SHOCKED that our in-line texting/messaging is GONE. Now we have to use separate apps for Facebook-messaging and for Messenger (Skype-messaging)?! What? Our single-thread texting/chatting was a huge bragging point over iPhone and Android. What were they thinking???

jmikex

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site

Three things that got worse with 8.1:
- the comma disappeared!!! So annoying, now I have to press the &123 button every time I want to set one!
- music app got even worse, don't get me started.
- delete button on keyboard doesn't register correctly, it lags.
(Lumia 1020)

Honestly, I hope these things get changed in the final version or I'll be going nuts.

What I like:
- quick settings & the whole notification center thing

Overall, I'm actually disappointed 😞

Oh, I also like the smiley suggestions ;-)
hey you can add the comma in keyboard advanced settings :D

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

Here's what I have seen so far Lumia 1020

1. Haven't found a way to disable the Xbox integration in the Games App. I do not want to sync with my Xbox Account.

2. When scrolling down (fastly) on the start screen the lives tiles are rendered again so we can see blank tiles for a second. (I have lots of tiles)

Besides these 2 points Wp 8.1 is very solid for me.

P.S. Cortana Rocks in Beta.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

So far I'm really liking the action center, cortana, and (surprisingly) the new keyboard. I didn't think I would like the swipe keyboard, but after using it for a little bit, I now see what all the fuss was about. The new Camera app is pretty nice also, I would switch to it, but I'm not sure if I still have to use the Nokia app to get the high-res pics out of my 1520.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site

I thought apps were supposed to be sorted by recently installed, mostly used etc.?

Also, a FIX FOR MISSING COMMA!!!: settings -> keyboard -> [advanced] -> [ ] Show a comma key when available.

I still have mixed feelings about it. I think I don't like the start background (because it looks ugly with tiles that aren't transparent and stay the accent color (I guess this will get fixed)).
There's too many apps. I feel like everything is fragmented. I much preferred when FM radio was under Music and not separately. I also hate seeing games in app list, they belong under Games. Ugh. I hope some fixes and options come for this.
I miss the nice background on the 'now playing' screen.
I miss the super convenient 'ringer/silent' button, but I'm glad to see both 'vibrate' and 'ringer' buttons there now, even if they're one more click away.
The glance clock has bigger font I think! Which is great!
So many more things, but I need to sleep now.

Wow, after spending some time on start with more tiles going back to less tiles is a shocker, THEY ARE SO HUGE!!! :D

sharek77o

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site

wifi sense seems to be broken.. it worked for sometime.. then showed an error notification. now i can't even find it in the settings

jlanzac

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site

I don't like the action center at all. It seems you are using another OS. But the key board is amazing. Besides I'm waiting for the store to be up and running again to check the VPN stuff.

Sent from jlanza_lumia820 (RM-825_eu_spain_377) using Tapatalk

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site

I don't like the action center at all. It seems you are using another OS. But the key board is amazing. Besides I'm waiting for the store to be up and running again to check the VPN stuff.

The keyboard is truly sweet, better then any swype-like keyboard on android (that I've tried).
I like the notification center. It does feel like the one from android 4.1, but why fix something that's not broken when you can just copy it. I don't care that it's copied, I only care about finally catching the myAppFree notification (that always made me wonder what the hell happened in my phone).
The notification icon is also nice to tell you that something apart from those 5 lock screen notifications has happened. Don't hate. After all, live tiles still work as before, so you don't ever have to pull it down :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon