[Official] Initial thoughts on Developer Preview of WP8.1

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Initial thoughts on Developer Preview of WP8.1

Loving the IE Reader Mode, having fun with the swype wordflow, trying to get Cortana to play well in the car. I tried with Waze in a Ford with that gadawful Sync and it was an exercise in mobile frustration but my sense is that this can be managed and Cortana is a wicked smart listener. Biggest "throw your GDR 1520 through a plate-glass window" moment so far is the way that attaching through email has been prettied up but not smartened up one iota? Surely I'm wrong? They had to have included attaching files and docs somewhere?

A lot to work through and overall a wonderful upgrade!

Liam Perry

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

Really happy feature wise its awesome. Dont like that microsoft removed user control over background apps. Media apps also dont update libraries in the background? Apps actually crash a lot more, and in general it seems a little slower.

​also getting heaps of random reboots. Really dont wanna reset my phone though. :(

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Cortana works great for me, but not as well in the car. The microphones on the phone are better than the one in the car, and when BT connected, it uses the one in the car. :straight:

ryaoni

May 23, 2012
Visit site

I like everything so far. The only think I don't understand is why the location toggle isn't under notifications. Any way of adding it?

ryaoni

May 23, 2012
Visit site

Really happy feature wise its awesome. Dont like that microsoft removed user control over background apps. Media apps also dont update libraries in the background? Apps actually crash a lot more, and in general it seems a little slower.

​also getting heaps of random reboots. Really dont wanna reset my phone though. :(

#190 Report Post

Go under the battery settings apps tab and you can turn off background for most apps.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I like everything so far. The only think I don't understand is why the location toggle isn't under notifications. Any way of adding it?
Go to Settings | Notifications and Actions, and choose your quick actions.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

One word.... Underwhelmed!!!

All the new features are great, but I find I don't have any use for them. Notification Centre: Off... A complete waste of code, as I suspected. I'll stick with Live Tiles.
Store will not connect. may be an error. Will try later...

Overall, thumbs up to MS for developing WP, but all these 'new' and 'asked for' features seem to make using WP slower. I realise a lot of users want these features. I'll stick with the 'old style' way of using WP. It works for me.

gevamran

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site

xbox music is without a live tile!! :S all of u r having this problem or just me?

sudhisoma

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site

A bit out of topic! But whatsapp is only working on wifi and not mobile data for me since the WP8.1 update! I have to manually open the app to check when im on mobile data! Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

Faraaz96

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Update ** there's a SCAN and FIX option in OS for errors in SD card!!! Yay**** :D

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Love, love, love the extra row of icons. (Rocking a 928 here) I can almost fit all my crap on one page.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

So much negativity here! I am really liking the update. I would like to see Podcasts and Xbox music get updated a little sooner than later, but this update is looking good, and it runs great on my 920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124