[Official] Initial thoughts on Developer Preview of WP8.1

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
3) Is there some kind of file manager to attach pdfs and other files to emails (last time I tried I couldn't make it work)?

Btw, if I just switch my region to USA, would the Nokia Mix Radio app work for me? I'm thinking of doing this now so when WP 8.1 rolls out I'll get Cortana as well. Thanks!!!
If the documents are already on your phone you can attache them through the Office app. Open Office>select Documents on my phone>Find the document>Long press it>select share>Select Outlook (or email account if you have more than one).

Bram Vanroy

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Running 8.1 on a testing device (Lumia 1520) and I'm very glad with it.

Biggest pros:
- Notification screen
- Background images: admittedly, I didn't think this would make such a big difference for me. I'm a guy that just wants things to work, I don't need anything fancy. But I have to admit that these background are beautiful and really personalise your device
- MS Camera
- I actually like the Photo Hub!
- "Sense" apps (Storage, Data and Battery Saver)
- Updates in IE
- CORTANA!

Don't like:
- seems that the battery drains more quickly
- no quick toggle for data connection? (has anybody found this?)

Demitel

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 820 user here. As i updated my phone to 8.1, as of now i didn't noticed any problem regarding without having the firmware update from Nokia, the IE is much faster, but streaming some html 5 videos becomes weird that the ui for the video can't be seen and you can't stop the streaming unless you close the tab. All in all it's really great update for wp.

kukuxumusu

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I love real time notifications now of 8.1. It's no longer late compared to WP 8. Action center works flawlessly and its the best feature on this update (aside from Cortana).

Faraaz96

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Guys. Does anyone know how to change calendar's weather temperature setting?? I want degree Celsius instead of Fahrenheit?? Thank you in advance :)

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Guys. Does anyone know how to change calendar's weather temperature setting?? I want degree Celsius instead of Fahrenheit?? Thank you in advance :)

I believe this depends on your language settings. My language is set to English (UK) and I get the temperatures in ?C

DAIMONDY

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
If i download the dp of 8.1 will it affect the future update of the official 8.1?

Also is there a chance it will delete anything on my phone?

Cheers

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
K
After 6 days and one phone reset for testing with the preview.
I'm not a power or business user and within my low level technical view I would judge 8.1 a very large jump in the realm of smartphone features.

This update seems to to coddle the whiners crying for features such as: apps to SD which of course is a big one for you if you have SD storage.
Frankly I'm somewhat pleased the OS is still locked up as far as a file manager\picker (whatever it's known as) for me I see little need as long as the device can handle things efficiently.
Fleshing out a number of other features I will leave to the dogs.

For now this user on the 8.1 preview is very happy.
Then again I'm certainly not looking for failure.

Best of luck everyone!

acermark

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 925 and downloaded the preview yesterday. It ended up taking about 2 hours but as they said as it was getting updated it was definitely worth the wait!

After initially being a bit laggy WP 8.1 is now running heaps smoothly and apps especially are opening much quicker than before.

Battery usage seemed to drain quickly yesterday but seems much better today. Also IE11 is much better and quicker than IE10 with the Action Centre by far the best addition along with transparent tiles.

I haven't used Cortana as yet but will once I get access to Wi-fi to download the extra 63MB it's asking for.

However initially the font size for the messaging app was too small so I had to adjust it. And the extra row of tiles is too small for the 4.5 inch screen on the 925, especially when there's text on the tiles. Though I hope to get a 930 sometime later in the year.

plasmit

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I really like the new People Hub and how nicely Facebook and Twitter beta apps display contents in it. Will it be extended to other social apps like Vine and Instagram?

Piedro92

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Allthought I love everything about the Windows Phone 8.1 update, I have one down-side: Whatsapp is not correctly notificating anymore. I see no update on the live-tile, neither in the action center, while I have 10+ messages received over the past 30 minutes when I enter the app. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? It's a shame really. :(

Bram Vanroy

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Curious - why is the prefix of this topic title "Official"? Is Microsoft actively monitoring this thread?

Allthought I love everything about the Windows Phone 8.1 update, I have one down-side: Whatsapp is not correctly notificating anymore. I see no update on the live-tile, neither in the action center, while I have 10+ messages received over the past 30 minutes when I enter the app. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? It's a shame really. :(

Works fine here. Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the app?

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 920 here.
Did the update, and immediately an Hard Reset after that (like I always do on any major release, to squash bugs), and after some days of testing:

1) After a little interface lag at the beginning, now everything is faster and smooher then ever before. My 920 never was this snappy and fluid, even apps open quickier;
2) All notifications are now real-time, and all the past syncing problems are gone;
3) 4 rows tiles (with Medium and Wide tiles, cause the Small ones are too much small for me) with parallax background is pure eyes sex. And everything is even more "Live" and dynamic;
4) Apps auto-updating are great;
5) Action Center is now the best notification center on any platform. Just so clean and pefect;
6) WordFlow is golden;
7) IE11 is so much faster then IE10, and new Reading mode is nice
8) My battery drained quickier on the first day, but after a full discharge and full recharge just after that (without touching the phone), now it last even longer then it did on 8.0 GDR3 (with so much more Background Tasks disabled).
8.1) NO bugs and problems at all for me. And I'm sure that with Nokia Cyan and new firmware/drivers everything will be even better on July.

This is truly the best Mobile OS ever made and I ever had so far.
I highly recommend everyone to upgrade if they can.

Piedro92

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Curious - why is the prefix of this topic title "Official"? Is Microsoft actively monitoring this thread?

Works fine here. Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the app?

I just did. Worth a shot as Whatsapp had been installed while I was still running WP8.0 . I have experienced issues with apps being already installed before upgrading. Fingers crossed!

EDIT: No luck :-(

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes