IE 11 (WP 8.1) vs. Google Chrome.(Android)

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
acewing905, hehe I think you should have labeled your thread IE 11 issues rather than an Android comparison so you can get better replies from some fanboys LOL!

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Dodging concerns over WP's capabilities will only harm the platform. Such attitude won't help to improve platform. Same thing happened to many when they wanted a file manager and some apologetics countered them by using arguments like why do you need it.

Last edited:

acewing905

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
acewing905, hehe I think you should have labeled your thread IE 11 issues rather than an Android comparison so you can get better replies from some fanboys LOL!
Isn't my thread. I was just responding to people who keep on bringing up the "beta" excuse.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I wish when poster states comparisons in this thread, please state what hardware they refer to.... ie is it flagship vs flagship (IE11 on a L1520 vs Chrome on flagship Android) or low-end L520 vs some landfill android....
​geez be specific....
All these generalisation goes nowhere

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
1. IE 11 still can't open sites which open with pop ups.
It's quite annoying that WP IE 11 can only open sites which doesn't have pop's just like old JAVA or S40 phones.
Come on MS, it's 2014 a smartphone era and IE 11 still sames level as old phones now.

> It's 2014
> Pop-up windows

I lol'd.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
There is no indication that MS hoped to avoid this. They made this Dev program extremely easy to sign up to, and publicized it and made it unlimited.

And you accepted the agreement, did you? Even if it's extremely easy to sign up, it still has an agreement that you have to accept. You have your full right to not install this Preview Developer and keep waiting for Official Release. But then you accepted the term and installed it. Don't say as if Microsoft lured you or forced you to do so.

I don't say that IE11 in this preview is Beta or not. But to answer OP's statements:
1) Like most of people here, I can open PhoneArena.com fluidly at ease without any issue (L920)
2) Like most of people here, after resuming to IE, IE point me to the point that I left before (unless I wait 15' or so)
3) Please provide your popup website so we can test it together

But I see your problem, the problem is because of Tombstoning mechanism. A deactivated app will have to save "state" and turn to sleep after a specific time of deactivation. When user access to that app again, that app will load that "state", in this scenario it'll reload your previous URL. That's how the phone handles memories without "giving" too much to apps, also the reason of "bad" multitasking compare to Android (and better memory control. Don't tell me otherwise, I'm also using an Android and it'd lag like hell if I didn't close opened apps. If you're using a Windows PC with many softwares open and run at the same time you can see it in task manager).

I believe iOS also uses this Tombstoning to control app's memories. Their timespan is 10' (if my memory didn't deceive me)

P.S: Of course I don't know if they can store position of webpage into Tombstone state or not. But if it's existed in WP8, I believe there's a reason for them to remove it in WP8.1.

agd87

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Can the IE app update separately through the windows app store like the new music and game app? Microsoft will probably continue to update IE if that's the case.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
If that the case Android never reach 80% market share. That means what you said is wrong.
I think Android is a great OS and very fast and fluid(based on experience on Moto G, Samsung Galaxy Note 2)
In a speed test with my friends phone Moto G beat L1520(WP8) in basic function. You can test it.

and Google Chrome is a very good browser because it's fast, fluid and do much more than what an IE can do.

If you didn't notice all WP is doing is to catch up with Android.

test your NL1520 against that moto and that note a year from now, see which phone will be faster then. Androids start our really really good, but after a year or so of usage start crawling and lagging cause of all the bloatware. This is strictly based on personal experience and that of my friends

Last edited:

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Ok!
Here lots of user telling me that Phonearena work just fine.

Try this
Scroll to down and open last article then go back and scroll to up and open first article.
try this for 2 to 3 times.

In 90% of cases IE crashes in phone.
But
It may be possible that I am only one who is facing this issue.

and thanks acewing905
I forget to mention reloading issue.

Luiz Miranda

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok!
Here lots of user telling me that Phonearena work just fine.

Try this
Scroll to down and open last article then go back and scroll to up and open first article.
try this for 2 to 3 times.

In 90% of cases IE crashes in phone.

I tried this 10 times. Open site, scroll down, open last article, back, open the first. repeat 10 times. no crash.

Using a lumia 1020 and WP 8.1

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I have L 620.
Can anyone having 512MB RAM device test that?

In my phone it crashes very often even now. (sometime IE shows Resuming before crashing)

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Well the kid is right...replicated it without using wi-fi.

With the white screen when you go back. You let it be for secondsssssss then when it start to reload and images appeared the phone get back to home screen page of the phone.

Happen over data but not over Wi-Fi. Also the phone get warm over Data while browsing but not over Wi-Fi

My phone has LTE sim in it. I did not try on 3G.

Last edited:

anon(5408816)

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
If anything, my experience with 8.1 and IE11 has been more positive than it was with IE11. Before and after web benchmarks show a noticeable performance improvement. I never have a problem with PhoneArena or any other sites. Reading view is a huge feature for me as well. Can't wait until they hook into that through Weave. You may want to do a system reset to revert it back to a default state. System settings > About > Reset your phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte