Having serious image quality rendering issues on WP8.1 IE11. Help me out!

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey all!

I've been in the process of building a couple really tiny mobile websites as companions to my full websites. I am a professional photographer and my web stats are showing that about half of my visits are now from mobile phones, so I gotta make a small, quick site optimized for them.

It's been going decently well, but since I've upgraded my phones to 8.1 Dev Preview, the image rescaling quality is showing some vastly inconsistent results across devices. Before 8.1 DP, if I can recall correctly, everything rendered beautifully. But now, some WP8.1 devices are doing a **** poor job of it. Seeing as how I'm a photographer, I need the images to look proper!

I've been testing on a variety of phones I own, including a Lumia 1020, 625, 810, 1520, and also a Galaxy S3 and iPhone 4s. The exact same website looks great on the iPhone, S3, and 1520, but looks quite awful on the 1020 and 625, and looks ok on the 810. The 1520 is my only phone not upgraded to 8.1 DP. (I will also later test on my 920, 620, and 520 if I get a chance)

Here is a crop from the same area for each phone:
iPhone:
closeiPhone.jpg

Galaxy S3:
closeS3.jpg

Lumia 1520:
close1520.jpg

Lumia 810:
close810.jpg

Lumia 1020:
close1020.jpg

Lumia 625:
close625.jpg

Look at how horrible the 1020 and 625 look. It's really bothering me and makes me wonder how many visitors are going to see a similarly crappy rendering.

Here are the full unedited screenshots from each phone:
iPhone:
iPhoneA.PNG

iPhoneB.PNG

S3:
S3A.png

S3B.png

1520:
1520A.jpg

1520B.jpg

810:
810A.jpg

810B.jpg

1020:
1020A.jpg

1020B.jpg

625:
625A.jpg

625B.jpg

So I was just wondering if anyone else was having the same kind of issues with website rendering after updating to 8.1 Dev Preview. If you could do a quick visit to my prototype site and reply in this thread what you see when you look at the gallery, and what device and software version you are running, that would also help me out a lot.

Link:
THE BOUDOIR by Night and Day - Edmonton Boudoir Photography

BTW - the images all look fine in Windows 8.1 IE11 either desktop or metro, so I'm not really looking for tablet visitors. I'm planning for tablet users to go to my full site rather than the mobile site. So I am optimizing this site solely for phones.
Cheers and thanks so much!

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Looks decent on my L1520 with 8.0. Sorry I don't have 8.1 to tell you (I'm waiting for the final version /w cyan).

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I just tried this out on my 920 and the pictures are loading pixelated for me too. If I save them the picture that saves is high quality and not pixelated, but the quick view picture on the site itself is pixelated. I'll try this on an android device I have in the house and let you know if this is an ie11 issue.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
pixelated on 920 using W8.1.
Tested on both Wifi and 3G. This's really a weird problem as I've never seen this issue on any other image sites

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Thumbnails are very pixelated, but the photos themselves are not pixelated on my Lumia 1020 with 8.1, not to my eyes anyway:

View attachment 66128

thanks for posting the screenshot. You see, you are using the same phone and same OS version I am, yet it looks different for you than it does for me. That's why this is such a head scratcher! Reading all the responses, it looks like the results are pretty mixed. Having inconsistent results makes it extremely hard to troubleshoot. argh...

Thank you to all who helped! If anyone else is reading this, please post your results too please!!

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
thanks for posting the screenshot. You see, you are using the same phone and same OS version I am, yet it looks different for you than it does for me. That's why this is such a head scratcher! Reading all the responses, it looks like the results are pretty mixed. Having inconsistent results makes it extremely hard to troubleshoot. argh...

Thank you to all who helped! If anyone else is reading this, please post your results too please!!
I would reach out to MS via the developers sites. This site while very active is mostly a bunch a very excellent enthusiasts. There must be something on MSDN for you to turn to for help.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, got my hands on another 1020 running 8.1, just like mine. And it renders the images beautifully. WTF? This is driving me crazy. I don't think I'll ever get to the bottom of this.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I had a very similar problem on my 920 about a year ago. But obviously this was well before 8.1. My issue was that ANY images rendered from the internet on everything (ie. apps, IE, Das Image, Bing) across my device came out looking almost 16bit. Everything from the thumbnails on Fhotoroom to any images on websites on IE... Didn't matter what it was. Even banner images and embedded ads on websites were pixelated. Nokia didn't know or understand the issue and it seemed for me to be an isolated issue at the time since no one else on WPCentral or XDA Devs could figure out the problem. In the end a hard reset solved my problem. Obviously I wouldn't suggest that.

And btw, that image on my 1520 with 8.1 is not quite as pixelated but a cross between your 1020 and your iPhone:wp_ss_20140516_0002.jpg

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I had a very similar problem on my 920 about a year ago. But obviously this was well before 8.1. My issue was that ANY images rendered from the internet on everything (ie. apps, IE, Das Image, Bing) across my device came out looking almost 16bit. Everything from the thumbnails on Fhotoroom to any images on websites on IE... Didn't matter what it was. Even banner images and embedded ads on websites were pixelated. Nokia didn't know or understand the issue and it seemed for me to be an isolated issue at the time since no one else on WPCentral or XDA Devs could figure out the problem. In the end a hard reset solved my problem. Obviously I wouldn't suggest that.

And btw, that image on my 1520 with 8.1 is not quite as pixelated but a cross between your 1020 and your iPhone:

Interesting... seems like these are isolated cases, but it also seems like this is more common now than it was a year ago. So strange. I might hard reset my phones to see if it helps. Thanks for your feedback, it helps!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786