Lumia Icon hangs and lags when unlocking

anup787

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I recently got a Lumia Icon (Verizon) about 1.5 months ago. I upgraded to Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers and things were good for a while. The last few weeks, I have been noticing that about once or twice a day, when I unlock the phone it's takes a long time to show my Tiles and I get a black 'Loading' screen (with the dots).

I generally lock and unlock the phone a couple of times, then hold the back button down and close any open apps and only then it works. Another symptom when the phone gets into this state is the battery starts draining quickly and the phone noticeably heats up. When I got to Battery Saver app, it also indicates that the 'Phone' app is consuming a lot of battery life.

Anyone else having this issue? The phone was great for a few weeks but now, this is getting frustrating..

Thanks!

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Yes, many are having issues with 8.1 after a few weeks. My question to you is: Did you do a hard reset before you upgraded to 8.1? Did you restore from an old 8.0 restore file?

From what I read here, most who did a hard reset before and after the 8.1 update and did not use any old restore file have had much better success.

If you download the Nokia Care for Retail software and flash back to 8.0 using the above steps, I think you would be much happier with the overall performance of your ICON>

Letros

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My 920 was doing this until the lock button died completely, tried Nokia Care to 8.0 but still dead, hope its not fried or something.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I developed the same issue with my Icon. It took some work, but here is how I fixed it. Note: I still have an occasional delay to wake the phone but not as often and never have to restart the phone now.

1. Be sure to back up ALL your files, pictures, videos, etc. as you will lose EVERYTHING on your phone. Be sure to make a list of ALL the apps installed on your phone (YOU WILL NEED THIS LATER)
2. Download the Nokia Software Recovery Tool from Nokia's website. Google it.
3. Restart your phone (power down completely, then reboot it).
4. Connect your phone to your computer and run the Nokia Software Recover Tool. NOTE: This process will take a long time as you will be downloading the entire flash file from Nokia for the Lumia Icon. It is a 4.29 GB file, so you will need to use a very high-speed WIFI connection. DO NOT DISCONNECT YOUR PHONE AT ALL UNTIL THIS PROCESS IS COMPLETED!
5. Once completed, your phone will be back to the most recently updated firmware and software fully authorized by Verizon and Nokia, Windows Phone 8.0 (boot screen will be red with Verizon logo).
6. Check for updates to all your software that is on the phone, but DO NOT REINSTALL OLD APPS AT THIS POINT! There are apps that you can install for WP8.0 that do not work in WP8.1 as they have not yet been updated. Some people believe this may be causing a lot of the problems, but no official word about that has surfaced. You can install your apps again AFTER you re-upgrade to WP8.1.
7. Download and install the Preview for Developers App from the Microsoft Store and run it.
8. Re-upgrade to Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview
9. Once compete, MANUALLY install all the apps you had prior to beginning (this is why you needed to make the list). You will notice that some of the apps you had on WP8.0 will not be available for WP8.1. These are the apps I was referring to that could be causing problems.
10. Run updates for phone and all your reinstalled apps.
11. You should now notice that you have better WiFi connection (because the firmware update includes the update recently released by Verizon, and the lag on the power button should be significantly better. Both your LTE and WiFi signal indicators at the top of the screen will now have a little arrow that appears when data is being transferred.

As stated, I still have a small lag periodically, but I never need to do a manual restart on the phone to make it wake up. It's just a 2 to 3 second delay, but the phone WILL wake up now. DON'T KEEP HITTING THE POWER BUTTON. Hit it once and wait 3 seconds. If it doesn't wake, hit it again, but I believe it should wake for you. Hitting it again prior to 3 seconds makes the phone think you are putting it back to sleep again.

Hope this helps others! Let me know if this works for you. Given that this is a VERY COMMON issue with MANY WP8.1 users (not just Lumia Icon users), Microsoft needs to pay SPECIAL attention to this issue and get it fixed as soon as possible! Even if they just put out an update to fix this one and only issue, it needs to be released IMMEDIATELY! It has been a few weeks now since this issue has arisen, so come on Microsoft, get the fix out!

Last edited:

no149

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I have this problem too with my 625. Most of the time there's this lag between pressing the power button and the screen turning on, but a few times it has crashed and never waked up until a good 10 minutes or so. I suspect the crash might be due to low memory capacity, but even that is unjustified given claims about Windows Phone having flawless memory management.

Oh and this happened after updating to 8.1 or perhaps the Update 1.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss