Gesture writing only available in english?

Yngve Nordahl

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I just got cyan on my 1020, and was exited for the gesture keyboard, as I miss having that feature from my old android phone... However, on my 1020, it seems that gesture typing only works in English.
Is this a bug, or did they not bother with other languages? I had it in Norwegian on my old android, so I don't see why it would be hard to implement in WP.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I dont clearly Know if its available. But it has TURN OFF option. Just make sure TYPE AS I FLICK THROUGH is selected in Keyboard Settings for ur language. if its not there, then its not supported.

Anglerdk

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to say, but Microsoft has a terrible support for Scandinavian language. Wordflow (gesture) like swype for Android is only the big languages like English and French (and a few others). I'm hoping that Microsoft will support Norwegian, Danish and Swedish, but since the add word doesn't work in 8.1 (danish) and even on 8.0 I cannot add Danish combined words - I am not optimistic. I must say Windows Phone lack basic functionality compared to Android excellent keyboards and even ios.... And Nokia is even from Scandinavian (and has research facilities in Denmark too ). So if you want swype or SwiftKey go for Android devices ;)

djslofstra

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to say, but Microsoft has a terrible support for Scandinavian language. Wordflow (gesture) like swype for Android is only the big languages like English and French (and a few others). I'm hoping that Microsoft will support Norwegian, Danish and Swedish, but since the add word doesn't work in 8.1 (danish) and even on 8.0 I cannot add Danish combined words - I am not optimistic. I must say Windows Phone lack basic functionality compared to Android excellent keyboards and even ios.... And Nokia is even from Scandinavian (and has research facilities in Denmark too ). So if you want swype or SwiftKey go for Android devices ;)

It even works with Dutch language settings, most languages are supported. ;)

dont_be_evil

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
So what language then? Stating just "non-English" isn't as informative.

For the record: Swipe isn't supported for Norwegian language as of Sep 24, 2014. I checked the keyboard settings and the feature is simply not available. What's more, Microsoft has a history of doing an extremely bad job with at least the Scandinavian languages, possibly a lot of other non-US-relevant things as well. Literally *billions* have been spent in my country (Norway) alone just from 1960-1990-ish on the "problem" of handling the letters ?, ? and ?. Even today, I stumble upon US web sites that are unable to deal with them.

And it's not like all has been fine since the 90s. For instance, on my Surface text input is botched whether I use touch or a physical keyboard. I'm the kind of user who tries to write correctly, and it is incredibly annoying to have the machine actually introduce a ton of stupid mistakes when it supposedly "corrects" me. Some of the ideas they've implemented seem so stupid that it is difficult to believe. For instance, IE (both metro and desktop) will systematically convert input "next" to "NeXT", "apple" to "Apple", "office" to "Office", and so on. It also insists every "i" I write should be capitalized, even though this is a preposition (meaning "in") in Norwegian. I've turned off absolutely ALL autocorrection that I've managed to find anywhere in settings, but to no avail. This seems to be an IE-specific issue, not the OS itself, but with IE being the only browser available in metro mode it is nontheless annoying in the extreme. Much the same, by the way, can be said of how autocorrect works in Word/Outlook, though it occasionally seems to "understand" that what I am writing is Norwegian and then works reasonably well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes