Should I leave Windows Phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NafcMontana

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Thinking about leaving Windows Phone...

I used to love the Windows OS and the Lumia phones, but I'm really getting tired of it... The app gap, the deleted 3rd party app 6Snap, the fact that Snapchat won't be on Windows Phone quick, the fact that Microsoft never thinks about Belgium for the release of updates,... France, Spain, Germany,... all those countries already have Lumia Denim on the 625, guess what, NOT A SINGLE LUMIA DEVICE IN BELGIUM HAS LUMIA DENIM!!! I'm really thinking about switching to Android... Windows OS is good but it never improves, it constantly stays the same. The lay-out of Windows OS has been the same as the lay-out from years ago. If WIndows doesn't change these things very quick i'm going to Android...

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Thinking about leaving Windows Phone...

I used to love the Windows OS and the Lumia phones, but I'm really getting tired of it... The app gap, the deleted 3rd party app 6Snap, the fact that Snapchat won't be on Windows Phone quick, the fact that Microsoft never thinks about Belgium for the release of updates,... France, Spain, Germany,... all those countries already have Lumia Denim on the 625, guess what, NOT A SINGLE LUMIA DEVICE IN BELGIUM HAS LUMIA DENIM!!! I'm really thinking about switching to Android... Windows OS is good but it never improves, it constantly stays the same. The lay-out of Windows OS has been the same as the lay-out from years ago. If WIndows doesn't change these things very quick i'm going to Android...

Ok, have fun.:angel:

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

It's your money. If you think something else will work for you: Try it and buy it. Owning a phone isn't a religion and you don't owe a company your allegiance or loyalty. Buy what works for you.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
They do not change these thing quick. So if you can not live with it you have indeed to change. But windows is now much better than a year ago. If you want to have early OS updates you can use P4D.

Last edited:

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

Now would be a good time to try something else if you really are not happy. Android has Lollipop, and IOS has just been updated and both systems offer advantages that windows can't right now. I firmly believe that Microsoft has put windows phone on the back burner because of the massive effort of getting windows 10 to ship on time with all the promises that they made. Now, things will be different fall of 2015 when Microsoft transitions over to their one OS.

Switch now and enjoy for a year. Your Microsoft account will still be waiting for you if you decided to come back in a year.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

what is p4d?

Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview, all you need to know!

But I maintain getting on the Preview for Developers just to get fast track updates is the wrong reason to get in the program. http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1-preview-developers/271799-15.htm#post2867589

As for updates... I've not seen denim. I'm waiting patiently. The vast majority of users who will get the most from the update have not gotten it (930/Icon and 1520).

How has user patience grown so thin?

Most people who have Lollipop Android have it through purchase of a new device. Honestly, most Android OEMs push one update to your device if you are lucky or two if you have a flagship. Then they are done. They want you buying a new handset. Apple is the same. Even though the iPhone is homogeneous and not a mix of hardware arrays, Apple still drops out your model from the update after two years.

Microsoft is at least making an effort to bring everyone along. Can't we calm down a bit and wait our turn in civilized fashion? There are a disturbing number of these threads that are the verbal equivalent of pushing and shoving to get to the head of the line. And some have the dreaded "or else" addendum. Gimme now or else I'll leave!!!

Before you switch, do yourself the favor and look into the other forums: Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com & iPhone, iPad, iPod Forums at iMore.com to see how very many there are crying about updates and how they aren't getting them fast enough or at all...

Want to see what marginalized really feels like? Read a bit over at these places: BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com & webOS Forums at webOS Nation

Whatever you choose, I hope it brings you happiness.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

I agree with RumoredNow that users are expecting things this instant and if they don't get it they throw their teddies out of the pram (US: stroller). Patience...

Having been on Android before, I wouldn't go back for love nor money. That bridge has been well and truly burnt...

As for the app situation, things are improving near enough daily, so wait patiently. If you can't, that's your choice...

G.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site

Belgium is a tiny country...I wouldn't expect Microsoft putting too much effort in the Belgian market.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

RumoredNow hits the nail on the head here.

If you can't be patient for updates with WP, then you're pretty much going to be out of luck, because you won't even get it this good on other platforms.

If you can't learn to be content where you are now, you'll never be content anywhere, even if it has everything you say you want, within a few weeks or months, you'll be regretting something else. People who are discontent will always find a reason to be discontent. That's been my experience in life.

I'm in the US on AT&T, and I have no idea when I'll get Denim or the 8.1 Update. Am I worried about it? No. As a matter of fact, I just purchased 3 more Windows Phones, because I know the updates will happen soon enough for me, because I'm patient.

As far as apps, it appears you seem to mostly be in a tizzy over Snapchat. Sorry you can't send lewd pictures of yourself in a falsely-secure manner anymore. But there is no such thing anyway, as long as phones can take a screenshot. Never, ever count on a self-destruct message or picture of any sort, because there is no such thing in our digital age. Before you can delete a tweet, it's had a screen-shot taken and posted everywhere already. Nothing is private like this. You want something private? Don't send it. That's good advice for pretty much everyone, and may someday save your job.

I'm really getting sick of all the Snapchat whiners. If you've got to have it that bad, then leave. Whining about it accomplishes nothing.

Either make up your mind to be patient, or change platforms. Drama isn't necessary.

Sorry, I'm just getting sick of these posts.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm in the US on AT&T, and I have no idea when I'll get Denim or the 8.1 Update. Am I worried about it? No. As a matter of fact, I just purchased 3 more Windows Phones, because I know the updates will happen soon enough for me, because I'm patient.

You got it figured out! A phone should be bought for what it is, not on a rumor of what it will become. If you're not happy with it like it is now, don't buy it.

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site

First off, Denim was JUST released. It's just not Belgium that doesn't have Denim yet. I have an unlocked 820 from UK. It doesn't have Denim yet either. Patience is a virtue. Just remember, IT'S COMING!! Secondly, my wife just got a Nexus 5. It hasn't received Lollipop yet. So you'll get the same issue on other platforms. Thirdly, you have to assess what you want out of your device (not if it can do everything that other devices can do). What do you use your device for? Is Snapchat a priority for you? If so, then you might have to leave WP. If not, what's the problem? Are the apps that are missing on WP ones that you personally use? In short, If a device/platform meets YOUR needs and does so flawlessly, that's all that matters. Don't worry about comparing with other platforms things that don't even matter to you. I know WP has some severe shortcomings compared to the other platforms. The thing is, those don't matter AT ALL to me. What I require from my smartphone is met in EVERY way with WP.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

There's a perception that because Lollipop has been released, if you move to Android you'll end up with Lollipop on your device. Sadly, most devices won't get it. Sony is only updating it's flagship phones, Samsung will update the most recent devices. Many with Motorola devices are still waiting for their promised update... Grass isn't greener on the the Android side of the fence.

Sure, there are fewer apps on WP, and for some people the SnapChat issue is a deciding factor. Nothing I can say about that, as I'm not a SnapChat user. But if I were, I wouldn't want to be spending hundreds of pounds on an Android device when the chances of it receiving an update are slim.

At the moment I have an Android phone as a back up; perhaps you could do the same?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

There's a perception that because Lollipop has been released, if you move to Android you'll end up with Lollipop on your device. Sadly, most devices won't get it. Sony is only updating it's flagship phones, Samsung will update the most recent devices. Many with Motorola devices are still waiting for their promised update... Grass isn't greener on the the Android side of the fence.

You're correct. That is one of the downsides of Android. But OTOH, updates are not as critical on Android. We are waiting on WP updates to bring features or capabilities that iOS & Android already have. WP is in catch-up mode.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Thats a good reason why the Nexus 7 was such a good deal. Access to Apps we miss on WP, even if Android Tablet Apps are still somewhat limited, its still better than WP. Plus, Nexus will get all updates that the hardware can handle. Just got 5.0.1 on my 7 (2013) a week or so ago. The 2012 model just got 5.0.2 I think, special release just for it.

a suser

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site

i don't care for apps, what i care is features which are must in every phone and which were part of earlier Nokia phones

video calling from front facing camera - not present in Windows phones
card slot - not present in Windows phones
5" screen *not in Nokia phones but required in all windows phones
assigning songs as ringtones without the need the copying them in a specified folder

the list goes on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes