The loss of Softcard just makes me wonder why Microsoft's Wallet is so underdeveloped.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I was ecstatic when we got Softcard. Getting a wearable and NFC payment so close by each other closed the gap big time.

...and just like that, we're losing Softcard... and therefore losing our only method of NFC payment. I don't understand the greed Google has here though. Google Wallet has been infinitely more successful, did they take over Softcard EXCLUSIVELY for the sake of taking features away from WP?

At the same time though... I can't help but feel like Microsoft should've better prepared us for this scenario. Android phones already had some Softcard support... and if it were the other way around, Android losing Softcard wouldn't have hurt it at all because they have a native solution through Google Wallet.

How much do you think we have to bother Microsoft until they give us a first-party NFC payment solution? I feel like Wallet has had no updates at all since I got into the platform in WP7. Still needs external apps for rewards and gift cards, the tap-to-pay option needs an external app.

The loss of those two bank apps was a really overloaded phenomena because we have Mint and Prism, but this... this actually hurts.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I kind of understand your concern but I do not see it as that a big problem. This is only an American issue and I am even not sure how many really would want to use it.
I am Dutch and my bank card has a NFC chip so I have no need at all to add my bank card in the Wallet.
And I do not know how many windows phones there are in the US but world wide there are many more.
So to me Microsoft should first get a local Cortana to more countries before they address minor issues as softcard or American bank apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss