Microsoft and Minecraft: What to do with an already multiplatform juggernaut?

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I think that Microsoft's purchase of Minecraft was smart. The tricky part is for them to find a way to make Minecraft the face of Microsoft and Xbox the same way that Mario is for Nintendo--with cameos in dozens of games--without upsetting the hardcore indie crowd that made Minecraft popular. I'd love to see more Minecraft spinoffs, including a really solid 2D version that is similar to Terraria, and integration into Project Spark too.

I normally oppose Microsoft Studios supporting competitors' platforms (such as how they inexplicably release games for Steam), but in this case, considering the game is already on so many platforms, I'd fully support them bringing it to even more--Windows Phone and Windows 8/RT with cloud-sync and Xbox achievements, obviously, but also to Wii U, 3DS, Vita, and Oculus Rift (imagine an Oculus Rift version paired up with Kinect!).

However, the bigger question is what to do with future iterations of the franchise, including spinoff games (Mine Kart, anyone?) and, more importantly, the inevitable sequel, Minecraft 2. Do they continue bringing Minecraft to other platforms but then make Minecraft sequels and spinoffs exclusive to Xbox? Permanent exclusives or just timed exclusives? Or, do they do something unheard of in gaming history and make Minecraft 2 completely multiplatform like Minecraft 1? Do they bring it to all platforms but give exclusive features and DLC to the Xbox versions? Or, perhaps, give it away for free or at a cheaper price on Xbox platforms?

Personally, I'd bring Minecraft 1 to every platform and then make Minecraft 2 exclusive to Microsoft platforms: Xbox One, Windows 9, and Windows Phone 9, all with cross-sync play. I'd see how that plays out for at least a year and then, if necessary, port it to other platforms, first with iOS and Android (ugh), and then the Wii U 2 and new 3DS, but I probably wouldn't bring it to Playstation at all.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I see the next iteration of Minecraft taking some things from Project Spark. Mainly, the visual node based coding.

Kids will be taught programming logic while they think they're playing.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Project Spark really is amazing. It deserves to be Game of the Year, and I hope it catches on and is a huge success. I also hope that Microsoft finds a way to make Minecraft 2 really great too.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
If they make a "Minecraft 2" it will royally p**s off the super loyal indie fan base to the point that they'll leave. Notch promised that once you pay for the game, you'll never have to pay for it again. Every update/upgrade/patch/thing is suppose to be free. If you don't believe me, go checkout the Minecraft subreddit and ask them about "Minecraft 2".

I do agree that they should put it on every platform possible. If Windows 9 really takes off, I would hope that they could stop supporting Steam and go through the Windows Store (they don't now because of the majority of people being on Windows 7). One thing I think would be cool is if they include the free version of Minecraft with every copy of Windows 9.

On a less serious note, they'll change the name of the company to minecrosoft and make Minecraft 2 exclusive to Kinect!

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I just hope they don't ruin minecraft/mojang. It isn't like they've done something similar *cough RARE *cough

Well, I'm a huge Kinect fan, so I like the RARE that works on Kinect games much more than the RARE that doesn't. And I wish that Microsoft would promote Kinect more. Phil Spencer essentially threw in the towel on it just because self-labeled "hardcore gamers" irrationally loathe it, even though I think it is still the best way to make Xbox One truly mainstream as motion-controlled games like Dance Central and Kinect Sports are the only types of games that 'wives and parents' play.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm a huge Kinect fan, so I like the RARE that works on Kinect games much more than the RARE that doesn't. And I wish that Microsoft would promote Kinect more. Phil Spencer essentially threw in the towel on it just because self-labeled "hardcore gamers" irrationally loathe it, even though I think it is still the best way to make Xbox One truly mainstream as motion-controlled games like Dance Central and Kinect Sports are the only types of games that 'wives and parents' play.

Minecraft isn't a kinect game, just saying. ;P

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
If they make a "Minecraft 2" it will royally p**s off the super loyal indie fan base to the point that they'll leave. Notch promised that once you pay for the game, you'll never have to pay for it again. Every update/upgrade/patch/thing is suppose to be free. If you don't believe me, go checkout the Minecraft subreddit and ask them about "Minecraft 2".

I do agree that they should put it on every platform possible. If Windows 9 really takes off, I would hope that they could stop supporting Steam and go through the Windows Store (they don't now because of the majority of people being on Windows 7). One thing I think would be cool is if they include the free version of Minecraft with every copy of Windows 9.

On a less serious note, they'll change the name of the company to minecrosoft and make Minecraft 2 exclusive to Kinect!

I agree that Minecraft should be fully multi-platform. In addition to the upcoming Windows 8/RT and Windows Phone version, I'd like to see them finish the Vita version and make a Wii U, 3DS, and even Steam. This is coming from someone who otherwise loathes Microsoft's decisions to release their games on other platforms (e.g. Kinectimals, Wordament, and the upcoming AoE: World Domination on iOS and Android, and things like Max: Curse of Brotherhood and Halo: Spartan Assault on Steam [they should make a Steam competitor, not support it]). But for Minecraft: make it fully multiplatform and go for the 'best-selling game of all time' title (it currently only trails Wii Sports, which shouldn't count because it was a free game bundled in with the Wii, and Tetris).

Minecraft 2, though, that's a tricky one. I agree with you that it could completely blow up in Microsoft's face if releasing it pisses off the fanbase. I suspect that the game is so mainstream at this point that most people won't care and would probably buy it (still, it will never sell as well as the original Minecraft has, regardless of how great it is), but unless it does some amazing things to truly make it an improvement over Minecraft 1 that a patch to Minecraft 1 couldn't do (and, I have no idea what this would be), it would likely alienate the diehard Minecraft fans that helped make the game a success.

A similar parallel is probably World of Warcraft--a game that has maintained its popularity for years and years, with no sequel in sight. If a Minecraft 2 were ever to exist, it certainly shouldn't arrive for years to come (i.e. after 2018, for sure, and I'd launch it simultaneously on Xbox One, Windows, Windows Phone, and open-PC, and then a year later, release it on iOS, Android, the next Wii and next 3DS, and then a year later release it for PlayStation).

Anyway, I think this was a brilliant purchase for Microsoft, but it's also the most challenging acquisition in the history of video games: I do not even the person who has to decide what to do with the franchise next (i.e. Minecraft 2).

I'd actually like to see a Kinect version of Minecraft!

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Minecraft isn't a kinect game, just saying. ;P

It could be. I think it would be challenging for them to make it into one, but mining resources, crafting tools and weapons, and fighting monsters with voice- and gesture- commands could be quite fun (if they find a way to make it not be physically exhausting). It'll never happen, I'm sure, because Microsoft has, seemingly and unfortunately, turned its back on Kinect, but I'd like to try it out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes