That's it...I'm done. Help me pick a new phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthJay38

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I have been a loyal Windows Phone user since 2011. I started with WM7 and stuck through ups and downs and 7.5 to 8 to 8.1 to 10. I was on the fence in December of 2015 but decided to stick it out and pick up the Lumia 950. It was okay at first, but after about 6 months I started having incremental crashes. I did all the soft and hard resets, and it would be fine for a while but then eventually start crashing again. I am NOT a part of the Insider program, so I am getting what is supposed to be stable builds. Ever since the creator's update pushed out, the OS has been unusable for me. I'll be using an app (it doesn't seem to matter which one) and the screen will go completely black. I'll have to do a soft reset and reboot the phone. It's happening 5-10 times per day for me.

Oh, how I so desperately WANT for this OS to success, because when it works it's awesome - but at this point I need to be able to actually have functional phone. So anyone else who's made the switch - do I go Android or do I go iOS?

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Your problems sound more like hardware than software. I've had issues with W10M, but never needed a soft reset 5-10 times a day. That is extremely excessive.

You should give both Android and iOS a try first, maybe in an Apple or Network (carrier) store, before committing to a single handset. They are vastly different to each other.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Just switched to Android. I went from my idol 4s windows phone version to the ZTE axon 7. They are similarly specced 820 processor quick charge 3.0

Not sure how much you're trying to spend but that phone should be roughly 369 (what I paid after a Amazon price match at best buy) but they have a mini version thats a 5.2 in screen that was on sale for $199

Best speakers on a phone good camera (not the best in low light) but the phone has great reviews I recommend it this is my first Android phone and it comes with 2yr warranty

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Unlike Sedp23, I went with Iphone. They all suck. Currently, Ios sucks less than the other two. Still using my 950xl occasionally.

Sent from mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Your problems sound more like hardware than software. I've had issues with W10M, but never needed a soft reset 5-10 times a day. That is extremely excessive.

You should give both Android and iOS a try first, maybe in an Apple or Network (carrier) store, before committing to a single handset. They are vastly different to each other.

I agree with this.

I would say that switching also depends on what you care about but if you can, try both.

For short:
Android gives you choice in what hardware you want and at what price. Outlook doesn't access the calendar if you use that. You have to do a workaround for that. You can mostly change anything you want on Android.

iOS has fewer choices but like Windows, the software is the same regardless of what phone you pick. You can't change the default apps on iOS. The accessory market for iOS is massive though, you have a lot of choice. I find iOS to be somewhat simple, which is great for me.

Neill Baldwin

May 16, 2015
Visit site
These days there is almost too many options. Lol I went with the Galaxy S7 Edge. It's really a great phone. Once I got it I installed several launchers to get the feel I wanted. There's even a couple with vertical scrolling like Windows. Ended up using Nova because to me, it gives the best options. Still put my sim in my Lumia 950 every once in awhile though.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

I've moved your thread to the Phone Wars forum, since this is definitely a comparison of different platforms that you're needing help with.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
If I were to switch I'd probably go with iOS since it's more secure from what I've heard and is described as "system that just works". I have bad experience with support for updates on Android devices so that's keeping me away from the Android platform, but hey it's been a while since I was using Android and things may have changed. Huawei Honor and Samsung Galaxy Edge phones seem to be popular Android phones in my country.

I was about to switch a while ago but decided that I will stay with my Lumia 950 and hope MS will bring CShell to it. If that's not going to happen, well then I am going to use it as long as I don't get too frustrated. I am quite frustrated now though, not sure if it's the insider build that is making WC app terribly slow or is it just the last update to the WC app that is making it literally unusable for me. Other apps work like they did before, so I guess the WC app didn't really benefit from the update. MSPowerUser app seems to be working a lot better for me for example.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I have switched to iPhone for my daily driver as CU was too irritating to use every day. Couldn't be happier. Still waiting to see what MS does (have an Idol4s) but they'll have to hit it out of the ballpark to give up my SE.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

mlbrowninsc

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I would recommend iOS. Everything does just work. I have all the ms apps installed and they work great on my 7 plus. Phone hardware is great as well and battery life is stellar. Never had any issues.

May 15, 2017
Visit site
My opinion on the difference between Android and iOS, in simple terms.

Android: The onus is on you as the user to dictate how the phone operates, although Google and various OEMs do offer suggestion how the phone should work (ie., Google Pixel and previously the Nexus line; various OEM skins). The positive with Android then is that you ultimately control on how your phone looks and behaves. The negative with that is due to the inherent nature of control, depending on how much you customize it, you do risk the phone not functioning as smoothly as intended (although, unlikely IMO)

iOS: Apple decides for you how your phone looks and behaves and controls nearly everything from the top down. The positive that comes with that is iOS offers a consistent user experience across the board without your having to put too much thought into it. The negative with the lack of control is that you as the user can't really modify it to your liking and you're pretty much forced to rely solely on the Apple ecosystem.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you want from a phone: user control vs consistency.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I have been a loyal Windows Phone user since 2011. I started with WM7 and stuck through ups and downs and 7.5 to 8 to 8.1 to 10. I was on the fence in December of 2015 but decided to stick it out and pick up the Lumia 950. It was okay at first, but after about 6 months I started having incremental crashes. I did all the soft and hard resets, and it would be fine for a while but then eventually start crashing again. I am NOT a part of the Insider program, so I am getting what is supposed to be stable builds. Ever since the creator's update pushed out, the OS has been unusable for me. I'll be using an app (it doesn't seem to matter which one) and the screen will go completely black. I'll have to do a soft reset and reboot the phone. It's happening 5-10 times per day for me.

Oh, how I so desperately WANT for this OS to success, because when it works it's awesome - but at this point I need to be able to actually have functional phone. So anyone else who's made the switch - do I go Android or do I go iOS?
I share your pain. I just got a Honor 8 and love it. I'd say give Huawei/Honor or OnePlus a try.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
That's a pretty weird issue.

IDK, if I had to pick a new phone it would be one of two things - a blackberry android, or an iPhone.

Not really fond of either android or iPhone, but iPhone has slightly better app quality, and blackdroid has the hub, and better outlook intergration. It's slighltly less googlefied, and secure like win10m.

I imagine the dtek60 isn't too expensive these days, if you want to save bucks.

May 15, 2017
Visit site
I share your pain. I just got a Honor 8 and love it. I'd say give Huawei/Honor or OnePlus a try.

OnePlus 3 is a great device. Their "OxygenOS" is a very near stock android and performance is smooth. And one other side note, Oneplus's Dash Charging is probably the best interpretation of quick charging I've seen.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
It's interesting to read this. Another site just said that the Windows Insider team confirmed that W10M will remain on the Feature2 branch permanently. Choose iOS if you want to switch platforms. But I don't like either Android or iOS after using them both, so I am sticking with Windows, for better or worse.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Ever since the creator's update pushed out, the OS has been unusable for me. I'll be using an app (it doesn't seem to matter which one) and the screen will go completely black. I'll have to do a soft reset and reboot the phone. It's happening 5-10 times per day for me.

I have the same phone with the same OS, and my phone works great. The first versions of 1703 wasn't great, but I rarely had to perform a soft reset.

What I'm trying to say is that it's not the model or that OS that's the issue for you, it's your phone and/or your OS install. Otherwise we'd all have this issue.

Try WDRT, and if that fails, use your warranty. I won't try to stop you from going with another phone brand. ;)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12379/windows-10-mobile-device-recovery-tool-faq

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't advise ANYONE to go to iOS. Apple products are overpriced and downright sub-par in terms of quality and the OS itself is absolutely terrible.

HOWEVER, that's ME. Now, for you I'll just ask these questions which will help you answer the question only you can answer:

1 - Do you prefer an open OS or a closed down OS?

Did you enjoy the fact that different brands couldn't touch Windows Phone's UI or way of working to improve it or change it? If you enjoyed an OS that can't be messed with, then go with iOS. Much like Windows Phone, iOS does not allow you do change anything in it. Well, in fact, it goes further and only allows you to pick a wallpaper and rearrange icons (but not leave empty spaces in the grid).

However, if you like to be able to customise your phone, including the ability to make the UI look like the UI of Windows Phone, go with Android.

2 - Do you prefer to have a phone from the software creator or do you prefer to have options and pick the one with the features that most appeal to you?

If you want a vanilla experience just like the software maker intended it, go with the iPhone. 'cause, you know, there's only Apple's iPhone on iOS, nothing else.

If you prefer options, then Android is the way to go. By the way, you can also get the "vanilla" experience on Android by either picking up a Google iPixel (basically Google's blatant rip off of the iPhone) or one of the new Nokia Android phones (which all come, unfortunately, with stock Android).

3 - Do you want to continue using Microsoft's ecosystem and have it integrated well with your phone?

If not, then go with iOS and enjoy Apple's integrated ecosystem. You can use Microsoft services there as well, they'll just not integrate with the iPhone.

If you do, when Android is the way to go. Microsoft services can actually replace Google's services (instead of just running alongside them as it happens on iOS) and everything is much more tightly integrated. There's a reason why Microsoft did that "Galaxy S8 Microsoft Edition" ;)

4 - How picky are you about software updates (knowing neither Android nor iOS need updates as desperately as WP needs)?

If you want your phone to be updated until it can no longer run because the updates bogged down your phone, then iOS is the way to go. Apple will literally update your phone for many years (to the point of your phone not being able to actually handle the updates anymore and crawl down to a stop).

If you don't much care for updates, then go Android. There, depending on which OEM you pick, you can get updates slower or faster. If you want fast updates on Android, you have to go with either a Nokia or an iPixel. But most OEMs support their phones - well, the flagships at least - for 2 years. Some support them for longer (Sony is a good example).

Once you've answered these questions (and hopefully made the right choice :p) THEN you can start the even harder task of picking a phone from the vast array of offerings no the market today ;)

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Honestly, I believe the issues you are having are due to hardware and not to software. I've not had such severe issues on my Fast Ring Lumia 950 in a long while, let alone my Release Preview Lumia 950 XL. Yes, I still have relatively frequent quibbles and stutters but I very rarely have to reset my phone or do anything out of the ordinary to fix it. My phones aren't any more unreliable than a comparable Android device.

But if you need to switch, I personally suggest you try both before making a decision. I prefer Android because I find iOS to be ugly, boring, and overly simple, but I can understand why many people would be drawn to its tight ecosystem and stable (on new phones) software. I just like the customizability of Android and the way I can do whatever I want with it.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I personally don't advise ANYONE to go to iOS. Apple products are overpriced and downright sub-par in terms of quality and the OS itself is absolutely terrible.

HOWEVER, that's ME. Now, for you I'll just ask these questions which will help you answer the question only you can answer:

Interesting comment. I guess I felt similarly until recently.
I bought an iPhone SE brand new from Cricket for $199. Not overpriced. All flagships, no matter what OS are expensive.
Exceptional quality: build, battery, fingerprint scanner, etc.
iOS is outstanding. It is designed to give the user a positive experience whenever they use their device. Is it locked down? Sure is, but that has advantages too. Android, which is open, is fragmented and its difficult for a user to find a device to fit their needs since they are all different.
But as you said we're all different and look at these things with a different set of eyes and perspective. Because of that it's difficult to tell others what to do.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon