The Complete Guide: Upgrading the Samsung Ativ SE to Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
I was just wondering, hardware wise, is the 1520 closer to the ATIV or the 930? Again, just curious. :)

And that is very good news Sabir. Can you follow up to tell us if this battery life holds up in later use as well? :)

-- W

I will say both are closer but i would like to go with 930 as 1520 has a bigger screen which makes a little difference.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Yes but the 1520 still has the same resolution, which means if any issues arise they should be with the screen scaling only. Whereas the 930 has a battery that is closer to the ATIV. And yet, its the 1520 that has the expansion card slot. Its a tossup, and its confusing already. If you catch my drift. :(

-- W

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Yes but the 1520 still has the same resolution, which means if any issues arise they should be with the screen scaling only. Whereas the 930 has a battery that is closer to the ATIV. And yet, its the 1520 that has the expansion card slot. Its a tossup, and its confusing already. If you catch my drift. :(

-- W

Experimenting will give us the correct conclusion. ;)

mrspidey

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Good news about battery life. Would you suggest going straight to 930 build from the tutorial instead of 730 or going 730, then changing to 930?

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Ok thanks.

What issues have you noticed so far? Have you got Skype and messaging linked? Does heptic feedback work?

Haptic feedback does not work on any of the builds. I tried redstone too. I installed despicable me-minion rush. Does not work. I think some apps won't work with this. For now my cell gets warm while browsing and thats all. N one more thing camera issue is still present. It will work without flash and with flash only if i focus it manually before capturing picture but if i directly try to capture while flash setting is on then camera will show dark images n get hung. Like on all other builds i had. Yes skype and message is linked but i do not use skype.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Haptic feedback does not work on any of the builds. I tried redstone too. I installed despicable me-minion rush. Does not work. I think some apps won't work with this. For now my cell gets warm while browsing and thats all. N one more thing camera issue is still present. It will work without flash and with flash only if i focus it manually before capturing picture but if i directly try to capture while flash setting is on then camera will show dark images n get hung. Like on all other builds i had. Yes skype and message is linked but i do not use skype.

Hey guys,

Been a few days since I talked; sorry about that. I'm reading every post though and I have to say if 930 works for you, great. I guess the key is to find a build that works and will update. Sounds like 930 may be the ticket item right now. As for me, I'm sticking with the Lumia 950 settings. It's not like I can get Root Tool to work anymore anyway. Let me add too that my only problems so far with the Lumia 950 settings are as follows:

Groove Music acts a little wonky sometimes but not all the time.
The phone will occasionally lock up with no explanation at all.

Now the stuff that others seem to have problems with:

My camera works fine except focusing is a little off when up close to object.
My battery doesn't get hot; a little warm at times but not hot.
Haptic feedback; I don't really run anything to see how it works.
My screen resolution is fine.

I am currently still on build 14291.1001.

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
I want to know something. As HTC HD2 was able to install android n windows at the same time why cannot ativ se be used that way. HD2 had same identical android sibling and ativ se too have one galaxy s4 with same config. So why isn't there anyone work to port ativ se to android?. This is just out of curiosity. But i think this is highly possible to achieve. What do u think guys?

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I want to know something. As HTC HD2 was able to install android n windows at the same time why cannot ativ se be used that way. HD2 had same identical android sibling and ativ se too have one galaxy s4 with same config. So why isn't there anyone work to port ativ se to android?. This is just out of curiosity. But i think this is highly possible to achieve. What do u think guys?

It's funny you should mention the Android porting. I was thinking of that exact thing last night. Would love to have the ability to dual boot the ATIV SE. I do miss some of the functions and apps for Android that you just can't get for Win 10 Mobile.

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
It's funny you should mention the Android porting. I was thinking of that exact thing last night. Would love to have the ability to dual boot the ATIV SE. I do miss some of the functions and apps for Android that you just can't get for Win 10 Mobile.

Then why is nobody looking forward to it?

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Then why is nobody looking forward to it?

I don't know. If I knew any way of doing it myself, I would. But as it is, I know how to mess with Android and a little bit of the Win 10 Mobile (mostly from this thread) but I don't know how I would get them to coexist on the ativ se.

mrspidey

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
As much as I would love to dual boot Android & W10 on this phone, I think it's far more complicated than it seems (dual booting launchers & android drivers etc) it is also very much off topic on this thread.

Assuming we find that the 930 registry settings work the best, would the upgrade be possible if we follow the tutorial, make the reg changes and instead of installing windows insider, we simply install the windows upgrade advisor and wait for production builds for the 930? Are there any production builds available for the 930 through the update advisor?

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,

Been a few days since I talked; sorry about that. I'm reading every post though and I have to say if 930 works for you, great. I guess the key is to find a build that works and will update. Sounds like 930 may be the ticket item right now. As for me, I'm sticking with the Lumia 950 settings. It's not like I can get Root Tool to work anymore anyway. Let me add too that my only problems so far with the Lumia 950 settings are as follows:

Groove Music acts a little wonky sometimes but not all the time.
The phone will occasionally lock up with no explanation at all.

Now the stuff that others seem to have problems with:

My camera works fine except focusing is a little off when up close to object.
My battery doesn't get hot; a little warm at times but not hot.
Haptic feedback; I don't really run anything to see how it works.
My screen resolution is fine.

I am currently still on build 14291.1001.

wp_ss_20160412_0002.jpg
got an update today to 10586.218
i'll see how this works...

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
As much as I would love to dual boot Android & W10 on this phone, I think it's far more complicated than it seems (dual booting launchers & android drivers etc) it is also very much off topic on this thread.

Assuming we find that the 930 registry settings work the best, would the upgrade be possible if we follow the tutorial, make the reg changes and instead of installing windows insider, we simply install the windows upgrade advisor and wait for production builds for the 930? Are there any production builds available for the 930 through the update advisor?

I do not have any answer for any of ur question but if you would have asked me this three days ago then i would have tried this. Because i formatted and reverted back to 8.0 then again to 10. So for now i cannot do it once again. Ativ se is my daily driver so i cannot do any experiments during work. Still if i find this build to be hard to go with then i will do the process once again.

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi Sabir,

Link to download the files mentioned in the article "First things first -> Download this ZIP" is not working. Getting error message as "This item might not exist or no longer available".

Is there any alternate link to download the files?

One more doubt, HTC 8X doesn't have SD card support. Will it be possible to carry out the steps mentioned in the article without SD Card?

Pradeep

Last edited:

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi Sabir,

Link to download the files mentioned in the article "First things first -> Download this ZIP" is not working. Getting error message as "This item might not exist or no longer available".

Is there any alternate link to download the files?

One more doubt, HTC 8X doesn't have SD card support. Will it be possible to carry out the steps mentioned in the article without SD Card?

Pradeep

I dont think that will work without sd card. Still if u want to give it a try and if 8x is not ur only device to use you can have some experimenting done with it. Sometimes things don't go straight like everyone on this forum has the same ativ se but same process was followed by everyone but still everyone faces different issues. Some don't even have issues. So do some experiment if u can. But before moving forward make sure you have stock files of 8x because if your device gets bricked you need to reflash stock files to make it work again. But if there are no files available then please do not try anything unless proven to work.

Try to get wp8.1 developer registration and deployment tool. If you get it just try to deploy root tool app. If that app works on your cell or gets deployed to your cell then there is no need of sd card. And one more thing if ur device is with 512MB ram then don't bother going through all this. Just enjoy 8.1
I might add this. If i were you then no matter what happens i would do something crazy to get things work. Even if i know it won't.
Good luck buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes