New Forum Design: Official Feedback Thread

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
How do you mark all new posts as read?

Edit: Found it where you buried it away. Be more helpful to have it on the New Posts pages as before though.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How do you mark all new posts as read?

Inside a forum.. Click tools at the top right of the page (just before the thread titles start) and select "Mark this forum read."

On the main page underneath all the forums, there is a button to "Mark all forums read."

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In the forums... when viewing the list of thread titles...

There is no indicator of Q&A status. No marker to show the OP was posted as a Question and no indicator to show it has received a Best Answer.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In the forums... when viewing the list of thread titles...

There is no indicator of Q&A status. No marker to show the OP was posted as a Question and no indicator to show it has received a Best Answer.

OK I did find the Question indicator, but it does not change when a Best Answer is selected so the icon looks the same if the question is open or bested.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Not a good update. Lots of information missing. I really liked the top area with the trending and new items. Also the sub forums are not quickly accessible.

So yeah, design maybe easier but a lot more clicking to get where you want to. Information is also not so visible and so the forum looks pretty "simple". The previous layout conveyed the content better.

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
-Using it on IE 11 (yes, I still use it!) was a complete crash. Nothing lined up, or was in any sort of format. I blame IE 11.

Ditto, I have to use IE11 at work, and it is a mess on the main page - indented forum listings and some other odd things.

Edge on W10M is generally ok, but my very first load had a banner ad across 1/3 of the page in the wrong place. noticed after browsing there was a place for the ad, but the ad ignored that location.

It does load faster, Thank you!!!

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
After using for a few days my comment is: "If it wasn't broke, why did you decide to FIX it?

As I stated in an earlier post, my 71 year old eyes don't handle pastel colors too well. I see better with more contrast. That said, I'm able to browse in the light theme better than the dark but can't stay in forum for more than 15 minutes or so before I have to log out. Make making contributions difficult but I'll manage.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Today I see the new design but I cannot change back to the old design if I wish to.The page reloads in the new design.
I cannot see who has liked my posts.
The 'Started by ' is missing from the threads.
However ,the pages load faster than in the old design.
The pages in the new design seem to have less information than the old design.
Also,the titles of Moderator,Ambassador etc are absent in the new design.
Advanced search option is missing in the new design.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
On the main page you can't collapse sections like Gaming, Microsoft Extras, Wearables, etc.

Formerly those could be collapsed if you no did not regularly go into those forums. Even without the sub-forums showing in the main page (another issue, IMHO...*) the scroll time from top to bottom on the main page is way longer than it needs to be.

If the point of removing the subs from view on the man page was to decrease clutter and scroll time, then why do away with collapsing sections? Collapsing sections decreases clutter and scroll time. So the end impact of removing subs from view on the main page is more than negated by removing the ability to collapse sections and increasing font sizes. If the point of removing sub-forums from view on the main page was for other reasons, those reasons are lost on me.

*Removing the sub-forums from view on the main page makes the forum less efficient. Take HP Phones for example, this is a non-post area needed as a Forum Header. Users can not post to it as it is just a place holder. Right now it only has one sub-forum, HP Elite X3. Formerly users could click into Elite X3 from the main page. Now they have to click into the null HP Phones forum first and then select Elite X3. There are countless more examples where getting to the information you want takes more clicks than it should.

*Removing the sub-forums from view on the main page makes the main page less informative. For example, look at the Windows Phones section, Microsoft / Nokia Phones forum. You can't tell what lies within from the main page, so you click in and see all the sub-forums. Again, the main forum is null as Microsoft / Nokia Phones is a non-posting area. There is no need for anyone to click into it if the subs are on view on the main page. However, If I click into it and scroll the list, I don't see Lumia 810. Maybe that is the Nokia phone I want help with. Why isn't it there? Maybe I assume the board doesn't have an 810 section. It looks like the started with later models in the x20 and up range. Certainly the main page won't reveal that Lumia 810 is in the Windows Central Archive section under the Nokia forum.

If the changes were cosmetic for aesthetic reasons, I guess it is well done.

If the changes were for functionality, the end results are not readily apparent to me. Navigation time is increased drastically for me and I would humbly submit that I know the forum layout very well indeed. If I were a new user who had no idea where things were placed I might assume this board had very little content and I would likely give up before finding what I wanted...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There is no indicator in a post when an Infraction or Warning has been issued. Mind you, this would be for Moderator view only, but is a pretty good thing to have so Moderators are not issuing multiple infractions on the same post since they don't see that one has already been given...

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
No numbering of the posts in a thread.
I am finding the new design less informative at first glance and it takes more time to hunt out information.This page design looks nice but functionality of old design is needed.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Cannot manage moved thread redirects. No indicator of how long the redirect lasts and no manage option to select/change how long the redirect lasts...

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
In a word: Blech!!

There's no listing of Windows Central verticals along the top when in the forums. When I go get the listing, I can only see 2, not the 3-4 I used to be able to see. And there's no scrolling.

The forums seems to occupy more screen space. I have to scroll more to read the same amount. I may be an old fart, but dammit, I'm not THAT blind!

And really, I'm not impressed with the colors.

If the intent was to encourage me to spend time here, it's a complete failure.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The forum interface appears deflated and what I would call lifeless.
In either light or dark the interface has a "printed on paper" look.

Small easy to find buttons are much more difficult to see with the "flat" look.

I'll try my best to give this a chance.
For now it just isn't working for me.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
A reply box is too small when using 4k display (just like a single row)

Attachments

• Reply-box_4k-display.jpg
    Reply-box_4k-display.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon