Sooooo, are you going to buy the Surface Laptop or what?

noirsoft

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
For portability I will always prefer a tablet with detachable keyboard over a traditional laptop. No laptop keyboard is ever going to offer me a good typing experience for serious work (coding), and the type cover is good enough for anything short of that.
Still hoping for Surface Pro 5 with thunderbolt 3, even if TB is only available via a new dock and not on the tablet itself.

kNight_dn

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I would love to. It looks amazing! "Sadly" I already own a Surface Pro 4 and I am perfectly fine with it... so I cannot find a reason to buy it :D

Same for me...just bought a Surface pro 4 a couple of months ago and am perfectly satisfied with that one. Wanted a tab and win32 apps so the SP4 was perfect. Dont with laptops for now.

dexman335

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
If money wasn't an issue and I didn't already own both a Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3, then I'd give the Surface Laptop serious consideration. But, my S3 and SP3 are perfect for my current needs. :smile:

psh_vt

May 8, 2017
Visit site
I have a Surface Pro 3 and love it. I like the looks of the Surface Laptop but I'm hooked on the hybrid form.

Here's what I'm interested in for next fall:
1). SP5 if the battery life is improved, or;
2). Surface Book if the weight can come down a little (I'm a pedestrian commuter -- 3 lbs. is the cutoff before my back starts to notice during a 20-30 minute walk to work and often carrying it around town a lot more than that.), or;
3). Surface Studio with better hardware internals than the first model.

I'm saving up now, and when I see the next iterations of those computers, that's what I'll be looking at. I use my stylus quite a bit, so a standard laptop form doesn't work for me. Fortunately, my SP3 is fantastic -- I've had it almost two years now and am really pleased with it, and have no rush to upgrade.

akin_t

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
If I'm going to buy an expensive laptop, then I'd honestly would rather buy the entry level 13" Macbook Pro for $1,499 over this Surface laptop, and that's saying a lot.

I buy a laptop maybe once every 5 years. When I get around to buying a new laptop it must have TB3 over USB-C. Microsoft says this laptop is for students, well K12 cannot afford a $1,000 laptop, so that leaves college students ... College students will need to run x86/x64 binaries, so why not just enable that out of the box? Why create yet another OS and cause confusion?

Microsoft is going to lose its way on its quest to be Apple circa 2012.

dbam987

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I like to have options in terms of input methods, and having a pen would be a big thing for me now-a-days. Also, having a kickstand is great too from my usage scenarios with the SP3.

So my stance is to stick with the Surface Pro line-up. My SP3 is still going strong.

I would like a Surface Pro with a GPU capable of playing today's titles... without melting and having some level of battery life of course. :p

Chuzz Bot

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I don't understand who WOULD want this. Students? I don't think so, they are after specs as much as the next geek. Someone has been talking to the teachers, not the students. Ok so surface has the fantastic pen feature, don't back away from it, keep the two in one for all surface products improve the pen features, add more buttons ( or an optional pro pen) , Make the next surface with a bigger screen and if we are to write on the screen it MUST have a kickstand, what's with all that wobble on the laptop?.... There is NO way I would buy such an underpowered overpriced purse packer, no matter what colour. Very , very unimpressed.
I hope this is just a sad and bad memory when October comes... come on MS, you were on such a good streak.

xsikal

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Definitely not interested. MS has spent the last few years showing us why there are better form factors than a simple laptop; no clue why they think I'd want to go back to using one. About the only thing going for it, in my opinion, is the design, and that doesn't make up for a form factor that makes the pen support fairly useless, a base config that is underpowered, a starting OS that is crippled (yes, you can upgrade it. No, that doesn't make it any better of an idea, nor do I think it will be an effective trojan horse to get the app store more love), a port selection that is outdated, and a price tag that brings to mind Apple's own foibles.

MrElectrifyer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Um...no. I've had to replace my SP3 power brick THREE times, my wife has had to replace her SP4 brick once already. I hate the proprietary connector. I want something that standardized.
I've never had to replace ANY of my Laptop's power bricks due to damage 'caused by me. Not for my 2008 HP Pavilion Laptop, not my 2014 Surface Pro 2 either (albeit, did do exchange for the plug due to Microsoft recall). Neither have any of my friends needed to do that with their Surface Pro 2/4.

A standard connector won't make you any less careless. It may only save you on costs of a new charger, but that's not the solution to your problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes