Sooooo, are you going to buy the Surface Laptop or what?

MrElectrifyer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
No. A USB-C port alone can help you to get rid of a stuuupid power brick from your backpack. I'm only carrying one power supply which charges my Dell XPS 12, my Android phone, and hack even my Sonicare toothbrush through a USB-C Qi wireless pad. Simply say, I won't buy any new gadget not charging through USB-C.

Seriously? You'd dump the significant advantage of a MagSafe connector and the added benefit of a dual-purpose charger (which will easily charge whatever other USB Type C device you have) merely for USB Type C? Sounds like a MacBook is a perfect fit for you, go get one. The Surface Pro 4's power brick is already more than compact enough, going USB Type C for charging will merely be a downgrade...

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
There's no universe where I buy one of these things. It's a laptop. It's overpriced for a laptop. And they stuck old tech ports on it. And it's a laptop. I have an SP3 and I love it...because it's NOT a laptop, but can be used like one when I need to. The only downside is the very same things that this new laptop suffers from. I want an SP5, with USB-C. Better yet, two USB-C ports.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Um...no. I've had to replace my SP3 power brick THREE times, my wife has had to replace her SP4 brick once already. I hate the proprietary connector. I want something that standardized.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
The Surface LT is definitely an attractive device, and I certainly wouldn't mind having one. But I already have a Book that functions very well as a laptop while offering a tablet experience on those occasions when I want to ditch the keyboard and work with a pen. I don't see myself trading out of the Book to get a less flexible device.

Apart from the LT's role as a proof-of-concept device (powerful, stylish, Chromebook competition with educational potential) I'm not sure it is a profit-generating consumer product all by itself. I bet there are traditional users of compact computers who want something Surface-y, but not anything as complex as the Book and probably a little more conventional than a tablet with add-on magnetic keyboard. Microsoft can probably sell a few thousands or tens of thousands of the Surface laptop to buyers like that.

Maybe if my backup laptops (a small VAIO running Win 7 and an older Dell XPS 15, one of my Fast Ring test devices) roll over and put their feet in the air I will look for a replacement. But I don't think I would add a Surface LT just because it offers a latest/greatest experience. I will probably hold onto my money and wait for the appearance of the Surface Mini- or Micro-tablet with a SIM slot and, you know, some kind of built-in voice communication capability.

Srb01

May 6, 2017
Visit site
So if i want a proper 2017 specs surface laptop i have to pay 1300$. Same as 12" already old Macbook that was already forward thinking with usb-c. i think the new comer will have also tb3 support and that already will have an even bigger deal since the macbook has only iGPU so leave rom for easy to setup eGPU.
Alcantara,it will come off after 1 year of use, and without a cutout in base to open the lid i think the alcantara will wear from the metal chassis in the spot where you open the lid. Touchscreen was embarrassing even on the presentation event...
They try too much to copy Apple, but not 100% so they have a lot more compromises. 14 hours,right with the first gen of optimisation with 10s we will be getting around 11-12 hours..but that is with 10s. With 10 pro we already talk about under 10 hours. They should let the keyboard with the same travel but instead of alcantara to copy and be also metal.They should go with usb-c or even better, with usb-a and usb-c and remove the display port.They should let windows 10s to the other OEM for proper cheaper products, and this should be a normal laptop with win10 pro and test the battery better. "surface pro will replace your laptop", after years "we create the ultimate laptop" and now "the normal laptop"...so too much confusion in Microsoft head,they try to compete instead to focus on their logic and products

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
nope. too much $ for those specs. wtf is with 4gb of ram in 2017. seriously. also crap pen support. paying for that support without it even being useful AT ALL

mymarcio

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I have a Surface Pro 3 i7. I probably won't upgrade for a while. Battery life, responsiveness and even weight / pen convenience has made me love this PC over and over again when I have to resolve a problem on the fly and I bring it with me.

As someone who has so many different roles at the organization (design/wireframing/coding/troubleshooting) this baby has been such an amazing hybrid. Also love how the hinge allows full flexibility on the angle I can position the screen.

Not to mention this baby has saved me from possibly breaking my back after falling on ice and landing on it and it's padding. I didn't realize the chassis bent until a few weeks ago next to the speaker. This thing isn't just a computer, it's a life saver! ;)

Ravi Sharma 2016

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Nope. My SP4 i5 is a fully capable device, better with the Surface pen and more flexible in various situations. It would be an expensive overkill having another device added to the stable. If I wouldn't have a 15" Zenbook pro, I would still wait for a more capable device than this laptop. Something with more storage, a much better screen and more flexibility, what up to now has been the trademark of a Surface.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Buying it for my gf, so I can complete the line up;) SP4, SLT, SB, and SS. I use SB when I go to work or travel, reading on the can etc. Personally will get a SB2 eventually if it comes out. SS is so nice to play with at home, I'm starting to ink more. SP4 is also for gf, but she will probably like SLT more because for the longer battery life. I gave my SP3 to my nephew, so that's how I get new tech every year and help spread the MS ecosystem in the family. And lastly, if they release a Surface Mobile for next year, i will replace my Elite x3.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Biggest reason for me is the screen isn't a big enough increase from the SP4, which I already have. I would have considered a Surface Book but won't buy one for the same reason. Of the two though I would have preferred the Book, since it has the option of the removable keyboard which is one of it's best features. It almost seems like a backward step to go back to a device without a removable keyboard.

I have the Alcantara Type Cover and I really like the feel of it and I applaud Microsoft for going with it on the Laptop. It's a novel difference to what everybody else is doing and it does feel more comfortable as a palm rest than plastic or metal and possibly helps a little with fatigue in that respect.

The standard cover has a nice enough feel to it and I admit I've kept it as a spare "just in case", but I've had the Alcantara one for over 7 months now and use the SP4 all day, every day and it still looks and feels like new. I do look after all my kit and handle it carefully but It does seem to be very hard wearing and has a pleasing feel to it which adds a little extra feelgood factor, though admittedly at a price.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Nope. I don't want a standard laptop any more. I like the full slate mode option with no keyboard for casual surfing on the couch and such.

Agreed, it does seem like a step backward. I wish the SP4 had been given the same choice of colours though, I'm not a big fan of the rather boring and industrial looking silver grey.

Msolok

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
It's certainly high up my list. I'm looking at replacing my Surface Pro 4 and it's certainly a tempting option. It's great that it will work with my Surface Docks, love the portability and the battery life.

I currently take my Surface Pro 4 everywhere with me and take it out to use pretty much anywhere. So having a light device with good battery life and quick turn on is most important. Unfortunately the issue I have with the Surface Pro 4 is the stability with the Type Cover just about anywhere other than a table of flat surface. Try using the Surface Pro 4 on a train or a bus or sitting on the bed or on your knee while watching TV and it falls over and get's really uncomfortable.
Sure in these situations I can just switch it over to Tablet mode, but typing is a pain and doing things like remote desktop to other PC's is just about unusable. I love the Tablet mode for Content Consumption, but it's just not useful for productivity things.

The Laptop design really excels in these portable situations. It has no issues with sitting on laps, beds or being used on trains, buses or cars. It's stable and useful. It still has a touch screen, still has pen support (although not as useful as having it flat, but still there), has much better battery life (according to Microsoft), and a great looking screen. The loss of a MicroSD card slot is a bit of a pain, but not the end of the world.
I have no issue with it only having USB-A. As others have said, the majority of devices are currently USB-A anyway (unless you have been out and spent a bunch of cash on replacing them with USB-C), and you can buy a small adapter which will convert USB-A to USB-C for any you have. I already have a bunch of MiniDP adapters, a couple of Surface docks and a bunch of Surface power adapters so I think it's great that I need to buy no new adapters or plugs. I have plenty of power around and the Surface Power bricks are small and light, so no issue carting them around.
The only downsides I can see with the it not having USB-C is not being able to use a portable battery pack for charging it while out and about. But with it's battery life it's not going to be so much of an issue.

And I am use people will be going 'Why not go a Dell XPS 13/15'. Well, there are a few reasons. I will be going the top of the range i7 16Gb memory version, so the price difference between the XPS 13 and Surface Book is around $600AUD. My issues with the XPS 13 are the keyboard (I just HATE typing on it. It is not good at all for me), the trackpad (The Surface trackpads kill it), the battery life, screen (while the screen on the XPS 13 is good, the Surface screens are better), and lack of pen support.
Sure we are going to have wait and see what happens with real life battery stats to see how the Surface Laptop does stack up, but the keyboard, trackpad and speakers on the XPS 13 are enough to kill it for me.
The XPS 15 is well and truly out as it is much bigger, meaning much more of a pain to cart around, and still has the same keyboard and trackpad feel.

So all up, yeah I will probably get a Surface Laptop. My Tablet needs are now met by the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, so what I do need is a stable portable laptop. My Surface Pro 4 is, sadly, too unstable in portable use in many situations. The Laptop form factor will work far better for me and what I need.

ojibwayinca

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Hey everybody.

By now, you probably know all about the Surface Laptop. You know about those tech specs. You know about the four color options — though you may not be able to actually get the device in those different colors. And you know the pricing and availability details. (June 15 is the big day, at least if you live in the U.S.)

So, the big question: Are you actually going to buy one? If so, why? If not, what’s keeping you from pulling the trigger?

I’ll start. I’m definitely interested, but I’m not sure I’m interested enough to buy one at this point. If I was going to buy a new Surface device right now, I think I might still go with the higher-end Surface Book with Performance Base, which is likely “the best convertible available today.”

What say you?

No, I want a Surface Pro type device with this one it, or I would like to download W10S on my home computer or other laptops.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheStivo