Htc Kaiser

gibraltar

May 20, 2006
Visit site
When the 700w came out I recommended it to my company and we implemented it. That turned out to be a major disaster. We still have the devices, and still have constant problems and complaints.

I hope to avoid the same situation with their replacement and am considering the Kaiser, once it's available.

I would REALLY appreciate your help in finding the right device for our application.

Priorities are:
#1 a reilable phone
#2 Outlook e-mail (currently via Verizon's wireless sync)
#3 ability to open and view attachments (mostly PDF and JPG)
#4 media player (music and movies - exec's want this for travel)

Biggest problem we've had with the 700w's is they somehow stop receiving e-mail, while still showing a connection to Verizon's data network (EV). They have to be soft reset, then they re-establish the connection and work properly for a while. This is a real problem because we have no way to know if it is working properly or not, and therefore can't trust that we're getting our e-mail regularly. Verizon, Palm and Microsoft each point the finger at one another, and we still can't solve the problem.

Sorry for the long sob story, but I could really use some help.

whatever7

Oct 24, 2004
Visit site
They both use the same OS (WM5 and WM6). 700w also suffer from the lack of memory, but that doesn't sound like the problems you have.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
You should never have recommended the 700w. It only has 32 MB RAM and was roundly slated when this was found out.

I would think a Kaiser would be too expensive and more than your execs needed. Maybe a device like the Samsung Blackjack, running the simpler WM standard OS, would be more to their liking?

In addition, from a corporate POV, isn't it better to buy a device thats proven in the market, rather than the latest cutting edge one?

Surur

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Actually, if you want to stay with Verizon and their strong 3g network, then if you can wait a couple of months, I'd say get the XV5800.

Simple and phone-centric, does push email, views docs and media. A very nice device :thumbsup:

gibraltar

May 20, 2006
Visit site
Waiting for a proven device would have been wise. We jumped on the Windows Moblie bandwagon way too soon.

I'll look at the Blackjack and XV5800 right away.
I'm also wondering about the 800w.

Any further input would be much appreciated.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Waiting for a proven device would have been wise. We jumped on the Windows Moblie bandwagon way too soon.

I would not blame WM, I blame Palm's penny pinching. No-one else made a 32 MB WM device. The 700wx is essentially the same device, only with 64 MB ram, and people are much happier.

BTW, are you using an Exhange server? If not, how about the dreaded iPhone? Your execs would love it.

Surur

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site

I'll look at the Blackjack and XV5800 right away.
I'm also wondering about the 800w.

Any further input would be much appreciated.
Yeah, the 700w was Palm's first attempt and they screwed the pooch on memory. The 700wx is tons better. Case in point: after a reboot the 700wx has 48mb of free RAM versus 10 on the 700w. So just upgrading to that model would be huge.

But, I also think the BJ, xv5800 and the 800w will all be very good choices (I'm awaiting the 800w myself)

gibraltar

May 20, 2006
Visit site
Yes we do use Exchange server.
However we use Verizon's wireless sync to push e-mail to the devices.

So far it looks like the Balckjack is out, we're "looking at" xv5800, 800w, Kaiser.

Hoping to do the homework this time and avoid such a problem device.

gibraltar

May 20, 2006
Visit site
Vogue looks cool. I'm not sure about an all touch screen device (no keyboard)

The xv6800 (Mogul?) is the latest CDMA device, but it's not up to the specs of the Kaiser.

We would consider changing networks, if that meant a more trouble free experience.

Leading candidates appear to be Kaiser on ATT or xv6800 on Verizon, but it may be wise to wait for more info on the 800w.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Actually, if you want to stay with Verizon and their strong 3g network, then if you can wait a couple of months, I'd say get the XV5800.

Simple and phone-centric, does push email, views docs and media. A very nice device :thumbsup:

I don't know about the smartphone AND slider setup. If you're going down that route I would just wait for the i760...

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/06/samsung-i760-hands-on/

Not sure when it will be out though...supposedly soon but don't quote me on that

gibraltar

May 20, 2006
Visit site
The goal this time is a stable device that will work relaibly and perform the desired tasks without a lot of maintnance.

Many of these devices look really cool, but are they stable, and will they provide the level of service my bosses expect?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
The goal this time is a stable device that will work relaibly and perform the desired tasks without a lot of maintnance.

Many of these devices look really cool, but are they stable, and will they provide the level of service my bosses expect?

Thats why it may be better to look at a device proven on the market already. I understand the Moto Q, after a number of updates, are now quite stable, and I've never really heard people complaining about the Blackjack except for battery life, and the T-Mobile Dash doesn't even have that problem.

Surur

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
While I am not that happy with the Q, it is pretty stable now at Sprint. I am really not that happy with the keyboard, but all else is pretty good including the phone. I would recommend the Dash also if you are thinking about changing networks - I hear/read good things about it.

And dare I suggest you look at BB? It has everything you are asking for, but the data costs will be higher.

Schwartz

Apr 14, 2005
Visit site
I tried the Dash but returned it. Apparently the LCD has the propensity of cracking with no provocation. It did seem kinda flimsy on the left edge of the screen. LCD breakage is not covered by the warranty you'll have to pay out of pocket to get it repaired. Given your previous 700w experience I'd avoid getting the Dash to prevent another potential debacle

cutoffcirc

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
I would also like to know this. I've seen a couple of sites selling it unlocked that say it will be instock around the 12th or 13th. I don't know if this means anything for carriers...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes