10549 Mid-Install Black Screen

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Between the gears screen and the "we're getting there" screen, my phone just sat on a black screen.
It was like that, for minutes.
I didn't do a soft-reset, as I remember Gabe Aul mentioning to just let things sit a few builds ago.
I'm at the "we're getting there" screen, now, so things seem fine.
I just wanted to make others aware, in case it freaked them out.
JJ

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Read the official news, Gabe blocked this release due to a black screen bug. He says to revert back to 8.1 then restart the Insider Program

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
This also happened to me. It was a blank screen (backlight showed it was still on, just blank) for about 10 minutes before it finally showed the migration status. Resumed fine with no issues.

Mike Newport

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
my lumia went black after gears started freaking so i plugged it in laptop and opened recovery tool and it went to migrating data within 3-4 minutes.

eehsun

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
damn I waited for what appeared to be way more than 10 mins (L920), did a soft reset, had the phone freeze on step 17, 61%.. Back to 8.1 again arrgh

Edit: received a call during the W10 upgrade, phone stuck on incoming call animation :cry:

Last edited:

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Mine got "stuck" at the black screen (L735), waited a little while, soft reset it and then everything installed after that, though it did lose my accent color.

Win10all

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
my 'black screen' stayed more than 10mins after i upgraded the phone from win8.1 to the 10549. Note, i did hard reset on win8.1 before proceeding the upgrade to the 10549. looks like the black screen is a real bug not just from 10536 to he 549, but from win8.1 as well. and compare to the win8.1 to 10536 upgrade, this new upgrade experience is so bad.....

Pat5zero

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
This is my first attempt at the preview OS. It was a boring, lengthy experience as the 1520 I have had for 2 years now and have updated from windows 8 - 8.1, so it was up to date.
I was using my untouched phone with programs/apps and settings that the upgrade I am now assuming because of what transpired in the installation.
When I was finally frustrated with the progress at not getting a good install I used the 'reset your phone' in 'About'. The phone actually went to a screen saying "we're getting there" a second time then with the migrate of 17 items as oppose to the first "we're getting there" which migrated 9 items after the cog black out which I experienced too.
I found once this part had finished I was able to update all programs in the store area and start setting out the system.
I also noticed when I had this first problem I had no WiFi there was a error message.
Now the OS and features and apps are working, some quick and seamlessly and some very slow and with loading screens or have jumped back to the start menu.
BTW Build 10549 not 10549.4 (which I assume is 4 more builds on) I read that 10549 is the build that goes on the new Microsoft lumia's especially 950 series.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h