2 Minutes made you change your opinion??

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I however prefer the three dots to get into the menu (apps which uses this). Problem occurs when you also have on-screen buttons, keyboard, and chat-boxes all being stacked one on another. This is the only reason why I would prefer the 🍔. Yet I rather encourage them to find a new way. Add a new button to the phone Lol ;D a 🍔 hahah.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Here is why Microsoft wants hamburger menus in Windows 10 for phone | Windows Central
Just yesterday, most of you were complaining about HAMBURGERs, and now you accept it??

Never been a "hamburger hater" (they're delicious! :wink:), but being serious, maybe hearing the research and data behind the decision opened people's eyes. Could be a lot of people still hate the hamburger menu, but at least understand why it's being used.

The hamburger menu is here to stay (at least for now), so people will have to decide for themselves if it's enough to switch to something else.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I like WMPU because they copy articles from many other sites, so I don't have to read all of them. Although, If they want to give an opinion they should invite someone more qualified. Some of the post in this forum are better than their articles.

In other words, they're good at copying things, they aren't good at thinking.
Copy? That's insulting. We don't copy anything.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm not wasting anymore of my life on this. I've said what I had to say, and I still stand by it. Hamburgers are bad, Microsoft is stupid for playin' catch-up, and bad solutions are bad.
Most of your are defending MS not because you really like the idea of a hamburger menu (nobody likes it because it's really bad), but because you feel the need to defend them because you use their products. This thread won't go anywhere from here. We can only wait and see what will happen, but it's pretty obvious that we'll be forced to use hamburger menus whether we like it or not. However, some will easily accept it and not think too much about it, and some will realise what is sacrificed in order to make place for the hamburger.

I'm sad it will go this way. I really thought Microsoft was different.
Look at the onedrive app. There's a hamburger, pivots and ellipsis menu. Works fine.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
It seems you're unaware of the bad opinions that a lot of people have about WMPU. I'm actually being very positive saying that I like the site for a reason. Although, this discussion is off-topic.
I'm not unaware. I joined last year and had those same opinions. Trying to make the site move better in terms of content and stuff. For example, I did a history of Windows Phone, interviews with several Windows Phone developers including MixRadio and other stuff. Trust me, I know.
As for offtopic, PM? Or twitter if you want to continue the discussion

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
The argument that most people use a phone two handed most of the time is a bad one, because when you need to use the phone one handed, you need to. Trivial in the grand scheme of things, but it is those little things that make an operating system enjoyable. That's where Apple wins out time and time again: the look and feel is always high-end and you can sense that the user experience is always in their minds. On the other hand, I often get the feeling with MS stuff that there is a vast bureaucracy ruling behind the scenes that is endlessly constrained by the needs of other parts of the company. The menu system for phones seems to be getting changed so that it can both make it more like Android to make app developers happy, while at the same time working on tablets, laptops, and PCs. Compromises, compromises. Personally, I think trying to cram everything onto phones is making them less useful, and I'm not that enthusiastic about the idea of universal apps. I'm simply not going to be using Excel or Word on my phone for anything but possibly reading a document or maybe editing a word or two. It is productivity destroying to waste time trying to do work using a tool that isn't appropriate for a job.

I don't mind universal apps and you wanna make UI consistent but know in which apps to use pivots and hamburger menus,

Like I meantioned earlier in a post
"and why oh why for the life of me and many other users why in the phone app you can't swipe easily from left to right to switch between Speed Dial and History, you gotta stretch fingers to very top of phone and press directly on Speed Dial or History , yeah you wanna make apps universal for phones,tablets and pcs but tablets and PCs does not have a Phone app, implementations can be done much much better, really hope changes comes. "

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't mind universal apps and you wanna make UI consistent but know in which apps to use pivots and hamburger menus,

Like I meantioned earlier in a post
"and why oh why for the life of me and many other users why in the phone app you can't swipe easily from left to right to switch between Speed Dial and History, you gotta stretch fingers to very top of phone and press directly on Speed Dial or History , yeah you wanna make apps universal for phones,tablets and pcs but tablets and PCs does not have a Phone app, implementations can be done much much better, really hope changes comes. "

Don't wanna confuse all those iOS and Android users now do we:)

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm not unaware. I joined last year and had those same opinions. Trying to make the site move better in terms of content and stuff. For example, I did a history of Windows Phone, interviews with several Windows Phone developers including MixRadio and other stuff. Trust me, I know.
As for offtopic, PM? Or twitter if you want to continue the discussion

That's great, Windows deserves more good fan sites.
I'm not really interested in blogs and publishing. Good luck with that.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I usually check both WindowsCentral and WMPoweruser websites, sometimes I get updates concerning Windows Phone faster on WMPoweruser site, and the community seems bigger for WindowsCentral

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I like your point, except that office on phone is not so important.
wp10 + keyboard support combined gives you the best WORD experience, writing a homework for school, a report for work, on the go, or at home.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Never been a "hamburger hater" (they're delicious! :wink:), but being serious, maybe hearing the research and data behind the decision opened people's eyes. Could be a lot of people still hate the hamburger menu, but at least understand why it's being used.

The hamburger menu is here to stay (at least for now), so people will have to decide for themselves if it's enough to switch to something else.

Although it was a refreshing insight, it's only confirmed to my mind how it's got there (a clear decision of brute function over form) and cemented my desire to see Microsoft be gently and helpfully persuaded to change course.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I am a hater of the new ui. I think it is absolutely retarded. their logic is Apple and Android did it sooooo... let's do it ! having the nav via swipe left to right gives you more screen realestate and it works. it actually makes it FUN to interact with your phone. that's why I kept my nokia n900 for so long. Because of the interaction with the phone. The little task menu thingy was so enjoyable and needed and made navigating a breeze. no matter how much you try to minimize user interaction with a phone there will always be "user interaction with a phone" as long as there is a phone. May as well keep it an enjoyable experience. this is the retarded. there is no need to fix this as it is NOT broken. I for one embrace change and am pretty open to new things. But this is just a useless change. They are attacting the problem with getting android and apple users the wrong way. The problem isn't the OS or the UI. honesty... most phones are pretty much the same do the same things and work in the same ways. They have a settings menu and aps. they have navigation options and browse the internet etc. This a perception issue. You can't address a perception issue with a technical fix that those users will not appreciate anyway. Marketing, advertising, price point, those things affect perception. Not to mention the ***** 19 year old at the Sprint, Verizon, at&t, and tmo stores are where the energy should be put. Those ignorant little service reps int he stores are the gate keepers and they will turn the average user away from the a windows phone in a heart beat. This is the wrong fix for a problem that doesn't exist.

Last edited:

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I don think its inferior at all. I like metro. I use android and apple from time to time and the apps themselves do the same things. I appreciate the swiping gestures. it looks cool and feels fun.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I don think its inferior at all. I like metro. I use android and apple from time to time and the apps themselves do the same things. I appreciate the swiping gestures. it looks cool and feels fun.

It's seems like they have ruined PC with Metro and now fixed it, but at the same time ruined mobile for the sake of "consistency" with Windows on PCs and blah blah blah.. I'm sure it will look beautiful when it's complete, but that's just how it seems..

To be honest from feedback and my thoughts too, People want a phone to be a phone and a PC to be a PC. Especially not looking the same.

I'd love to have an option for Launchers and themes for the whole system on Windows Phone too.. Then you can choose.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
And before you think about a normal launcher with just icons, I don't mean just that.. I like Launchers with specific features, gestures, creative looks..

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I'd love to hold a Windows system based on gestures. It would feel really Windows like haha ;)

Feels more advanced and active.

For example: Nokia's Launcher Z, Sailfish OS, add more + if you know any..

Maybe as an option? Activate/deactivate. Gestures on your Windows phone ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte