830 or m8

teller34

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
I went to the local at&t store and tried the 830 and the m8 out. I found the the 830 I was trialing had a fair amount of resuming. Is this normal? I'm just trying to make up my mind as to which device I'm going to get. Any input on the teal world performance I will actually see would be appreciated.

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I've yet to pick mine up, so I can't yet comment on real world performance apart from my experience with them in the store, but I have done a fair bit of reading on both phones.

In general, that is normal for the 830, as it has a slower processor than the M8. I asked about the performance of both phones in this thread, and ended up deciding on getting the 830 for a few different reasons. Raw performance was not one of them, but the 830 definitely isn't a slow phone, and I decided that it was a good compromise, especially due to the lower price point making it easier to upgrade to any upcoming beasts.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
If you ask me it comes down to chipsets and Camera.. For the camera go with the 830, but for the chipsets go with the m8.. The m8 has a snapdragon 801 chip and the 830 has a 400.. Keep in mind that WP does not need the latest chipsets to deliver the best possible performance, but android mostly does.. All in all if you want to stick with WP the 830 is not a bad choice :)

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I do see the resuming screen from time to time, its very quick, and rarely happens but it does happen. I would not compare in terms of raw horsepower of the M8 to the 830, it would be like comparing a Corvette to a base model Camaro. both pretty quick, but in terms of performance the Corvette will beat the bat snot out of the Camaro.

I really really like the 830 though, I could easily have gotten the M8 as well, but the Nokia (now Microsoft mobile) devices have my attention.

David Van Ryn

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I am writing this with a L830 and even though it doesn't have the raw horsepower it does what it needs to do.

I will say that the screen is not the best and this will be a phone I use until MS comes with somethin new that draws my attention. Max 1 year I give this phone!

If u want to play games on a blazingly fast phone stay away from the 830. Are u a light to medium user this phone will fulfill all your needs. 😊

Have a nice day ;-)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I still get resuming on my 1520 from time to time and even on the m8. Not often but it happens....a faster processor doesn't mean the lack of resuming.

Get the 830 :)

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I opted for the m8. 830 wasn't much better than my 820 but the m8 still had enough negative qualities that I was uncertain of which to get for a long while. I have loved every HTC phone I've owned in the past, and HTC's devices are sturdy, sexy, and have long battery lives (the 820 possesses none of those qualities) so at the end of the day I chose the m8.

That said, you have to be OK with giving up the following:
1) Glance. Dot view is a mixed bag, and the only way to be properly underwhelmed by it is to try it yourself. I will continue to use dot view despite its many flaws, but know that glance is almost unquestionably superior.
2) Nokia apps. I actually have not missed any of them, but that's just me.

Something that surprised me about the M8: The digitizer makes Nokia's super sensitive touch look bad. The M8 works flawlessly with gloves, keys, etc. Nokia super sensitive touch does competently work with gloves but is unreliable with metal and all around just not as nice as HTC's completely unmarketed implementation.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Managed to sell two 830 instead of a m) today at work. I talked the users out of the m8 and managed to get the 830 sold and hopefully the numbers for Lumia will be fairly high

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Whatever way you look at it, the M8 is a flagship and the 830 is a upper mid range device, at best. The M8 has top notch specs but a below-average camera for a flagship. The 830 has middling specs but a great camera. Which one you want depends on what you are looking for in your next phone.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
If HTC treats its Windows Phone phones the way it does its Android phones regarding OS updates then don't expect anything from them. Ever.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
If HTC treats its Windows Phone phones the way it does its Android phones regarding OS updates then don't expect anything from them. Ever.

You know that HTC One M7 is the most updated flagship ever, right ? With OS updates, OEM up-to-date skin updates and a tons additional bug fixes

PanWorks

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I suggest that you get the M8. Windows Phone is optimized well enough that the Lumia 830 is fast, but the M8 is noticeably faster.

I also think that that the M8 camera is quite good for most users because it takes pictures quickly and has a good auto-focus mode. In fact, I take more far more "keeper" pictures with my M8 than I ever did with my Lumia Icon. Of course, I'm mostly taking pictures of my cat, and the M8 has a great camera for capturing motion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk