920 to 830?

Maceart

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
No, going from the Lumia 920 to the Lumia 830 is a downgrade.

You're going from...
A 4.7" 768p display to a 5" 720p display which results in a loss of DPI.
A dual core 1.7ghz Snapdragon S4 to a quad core 1.2ghz Snapdragon 400 which is a tossup in terms of performance.
IPS LCD vs AMOLED LED. One gets you deeper blacks, the other gets you better readability and viewing angles. Another tossup (both have GLANCE).
1GB ram vs 1GB ram (why are you spending 400+ dollars off contract on essentially the same phone?)
Qi charging vs Qi charging (same thing here)
MicroSD slot (this is the only true upgrade from a Lumia 920 to a Lumia 830)
8.7MP Pureview to 10MP Pureview (actually a downgrade since the lens on the 830 are not as sensitive as the 920, also, crappier front camera)

Apples to apples, there is no reason to be spending money on the 830 when you own a 920. Microsoft really screwed up here, they should have announced the 1030 with its monstrous 41mp camera along with 2GB ram, 5" screen, Snapdragon 801, 32GB +MicroSD for $499 off contract to really take on the Iphone 6. Instead we have this limp of a turd called the 830 which offers no definite upgrade from a TWO YEAR OLD flagship.

Lumia 730 isn't even worth a discussion. Why does it even exist? No glance, **** camera, **** screen, **** everything. Ditto with the Lumia 630/635, which are essentially downgrades from the amazing 520/521's at double the price.

If I was Microsoft, I would slim down their offerings to 4 core phones. A 530 for low end markets, 630 for cheap developing markets, 730 for selfie obsessed people, 830 priced at moto G range, and a mindblowing 1030 to BTFO iphone 6.

But hey, what do I know? All I do know is that the 830 is not worth the $400 Microsoft is charging for. Get a refurbished 920 for $150 off Ebay and be happy.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
No, going from the Lumia 920 to the Lumia 830 is a downgrade.

You're going from...
A dual core 1.7ghz Snapdragon S4 to a quad core 1.2ghz Snapdragon 400 which is a tossup in terms of performance.
IPS LCD vs AMOLED LED. One gets you deeper blacks, the other gets you better readability and viewing angles. Another tossup (both have GLANCE).
1GB ram vs 1GB ram (why are you spending 400+ dollars off contract on essentially the same phone?)
Qi charging vs Qi charging (same thing here)
MicroSD slot (this is the only true upgrade from a Lumia 920 to a Lumia 830)
8.7MP Pureview to 10MP Pureview (actually a downgrade since the lens on the 830 are not as sensitive as the 920, also, crappier front camera)

Apples to apples, there is no reason to be spending money on the 830 when you own a 920. Microsoft really screwed up here, they should have announced the 1030 with its monstrous 41mp camera along with 2GB ram, 5" screen, Snapdragon 801, 32GB +MicroSD for $499 off contract to really take on the Iphone 6. Instead we have this limp of a turd called the 830 which offers no definite upgrade from a TWO YEAR OLD flagship.

Lumia 730 isn't even worth a discussion. Why does it even exist? No glance, **** camera, **** screen, **** everything. Ditto with the Lumia 630/635, which are essentially downgrades from the amazing 520/521's at double the price.

If I was Microsoft, I would slim down their offerings to 4 core phones. A 530 for low end markets, 630 for cheap developing markets, 730 for selfie obsessed people, 830 priced at moto G range, and a mindblowing 1030 to BTFO iphone 6.

But hey, what do I know? All I do know is that the 830 is not worth the $400 Microsoft is charging for. Get a refurbished 920 for $150 off Ebay and be happy.

A lot of things are wrong here. Let's see it:

No, it's not true. The loss of DPI it's minimum and make no difference at all.

Can you prove it? Because in my experience, even a Lumia 630 it's more smooth than a Lumia 920 (i had a Lumia 925 until two weeks ago and my father had a 920). And how about battery save?? Snapdragon 400 it's much better for sure.

830 have the "same" IPS screen than Lumia 920. But anyway, talking about OLED. The OLED screen have at least the same good view angle than any IPS screen. And more: have a beautiful black (match with the modern design) and much better contrast levels. The readability/sharpness it's the only thing that OLED screen is worst, but nothing big.

So a Core i7 PC with 8GB RAM it's the same of a Pendium Dual Core with 8GB RAM? They are "essentially" the same PC?

The "megapixel" are not only thing who change in new Lumia generation. The camera algorithms changes a LOT! Better, much better now (i have a 930). It's not a downgrade, for sure it's a valuable upgrade.

Anyway, I have no sure about it, if the Lumia 830 is a good upgrade for Lumia 920/25. Maybe not. But I don't agree with things you say here.

fishfacemcgee

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
A lot of things are wrong here. Let's see it:

No, it's not true. The loss of DPI it's minimum and make no difference at all.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not true. The 920 (which actually has a 4.5 inch screen by the way), is 331.72 pixels per inch. The 830 is 293.72 PPI. Is that a significant drop? WIthout hands on time, it's hard to say. However, the estimated pixel density to not see pixels at normal phone reading distance is around 300. I'd rather be 30px above that line vs 7px below.
Can you prove it? Because in my experience, even a Lumia 630 it's more smooth than a Lumia 920 (i had a Lumia 925 until two weeks ago and my father had a 920). And how about battery save?? Snapdragon 400 it's much better for sure.

Can you prove it? I'm not saying you're wrong, but "much better for sure" is something that should probably have harder evidence than "a tossup."

So a Core i7 PC with 8GB RAM it's the same of a Pendium Dual Core with 8GB RAM? They are "essentially" the same PC?

Your analogy is hilariously skewed. You're probably looking more at a two year old i7 vs a brand new i3/i5. The processor in the 920, while not top of the line when it shipped, was still fairly high end. The Snapdragon 400 is absolutely not a high end chip. I'm sure it's more than solid, and Windows Phone has always been very good about squeezing all of the power out of lower-end chips, but let's not be crazy.

And to answer your question but with a corrected analogy: no, the two PCs wouldn't be the same. But I wouldn't "upgrade" from a two-year old i7 to a brand new i3/i5. The performance gain wouldn't be significant enough to be worth the time/money.

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Comes down to pricing. I picked up an 820 on a $45 per month contract 18 months ago. 300mins calls, unlimited sms and 200MB data.
I got lucky as they were running a 1GB bonus data for signing up in the month I bought my phone so its 1.2GB data included.

If the 830 is the same deal with my provider then its not so bad but I doubt it will be.

At the moment for a 15$ per month extra I can get 600mins calls, unlimited sms and 1GB data with a 930
For $20 extra its unlimited call, sms/mms and 2GB data with a 930

A 635 with the same provider is only $10 and $5 cheaper than a 930 on respective plans. :confused:

It will be interesting to see how the carriers sell this phone.
I gotta admit the phone does look great and appealing coming from an 820 but if you had a 920 I thought you would be expecting a bit more.

I'm just hoping Nokia/MS have something in the pipeline over the next 6 months.

Dude, you're getting raped on that plan. If you're in America, there's half a dozen MVNO's that offer unlimited talk and text with 3gb of data for $45 a month.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not true. The 920 (which actually has a 4.5 inch screen by the way), is 331.72 pixels per inch. The 830 is 293.72 PPI. Is that a significant drop? WIthout hands on time, it's hard to say. However, the estimated pixel density to not see pixels at normal phone reading distance is around 300. I'd rather be 30px above that line vs 7px below.

Can you prove it? I'm not saying you're wrong, but "much better for sure" is something that should probably have harder evidence than "a tossup."

Your analogy is hilariously skewed. You're probably looking more at a two year old i7 vs a brand new i3/i5. The processor in the 920, while not top of the line when it shipped, was still fairly high end. The Snapdragon 400 is absolutely not a high end chip. I'm sure it's more than solid, and Windows Phone has always been very good about squeezing all of the power out of lower-end chips, but let's not be crazy.

And to answer your question but with a corrected analogy: no, the two PCs wouldn't be the same. But I wouldn't "upgrade" from a two-year old i7 to a brand new i3/i5. The performance gain wouldn't be significant enough to be worth the time/money.

I had a Lumia 820 (217 ppi) last year. Changed for a Lumia 925 (332 ppi). The difference that I felt was minimal. Notorious, but minimal. Same felling of my coworkers and my friends. Now, with a Lumia 930, I don't see any remarcable difference from 925 at all. Maybe some people does, but not me or my friends.

About battery save on "new" Snapdragon 400, that's what Qualcomm say and other reviews too. And that's what we expect from new chips, a better and more efficiency battery performance.

I know the Core i7 vs Core i3 was not the better analogy, but I think it's ilustrated at least a little what we talk about. Anyway, in my experience, CPU it's substantially more important to WP performance than main memory. Lumia 630's performance it's better than my old 925. Not much, but it's better. Very close to my Lumia 930, indeed.

Dude, you're getting raped on that plan. If you're in America, there's half a dozen MVNO's that offer unlimited talk and text with 3gb of data for $45 a month.

You guys know nothing about being raped from carriers LOL

My scenario here in Brazil:

60 mins to any carrier (LOOOOOL)
free talk with same carrier
free SMS
2GB limited LTE data plan (only 2gb for LTE LOOOOOL)

$70/month.

At least I could buy my Lumia 930 for $470 (the full price is $870).

Last edited by a moderator:

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
One other data point to consider: Today I took a long road trip using Navigon on my 830. In the past, on the 920, I couldn't charge the device fast enough to compensate for the battery drain (i.e. the battery would discharge even when plugged in). This was using a 1A cigarette lighter USB adapter, with no other apps running. Also, the 920 would get HOT while doing this.

Well, today I can report that the 830 has no such issues. I was streaming a podcast, and playing through Bluetooth, and had Navigon going the entire time. Plugged in with the same 1A adapter, no discharge. And the device was cool to the touch. I'm very happy with this device.

I have a prototype RM-985 flashed with a Latin American firmware, running DP completely up to date.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124