925 or z10?

bracque

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I was about to get the Z10, but the uncertainty around the company's future over the last few weeks has made me think.

Yes I know if BB goes belly up tomorrow my Z10 would still work, but let's face it developers are already thinking twice about the platform. Obviously I am not an app junky since my top phone choices run on BB10 and WP8, but a few quality apps make any phone better. And I know about sideloading, but my experience with a playbook made me realize that these can be iffy. I hope the updated player rectifies the android issues, but BB has been known to talk sh!t sometimes so I won't count on a great android player until I see it.

WP8 seems to resemble BB10 in that once people play with it for a few days or a week, many seem to love it. I am sure I would like either, but I would like to have one that I could love for a year or two, and if BB goes down or nothing new is developed for the Z10, that might be a tall order.

So aside from the Camera what esle would you rank as better on the 925?

Messaging, multitasking and messaging all seem to be strong points of the z10.

Thanks.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Get the z10. Both of you will love it!

That's not what he asked. And its obvious by his post, that he's not concerned with loving it, but whether or not its a good long term solution.

I haven't used BB10, but things I like about Windows Phone (Nokia)

1. Hardware design is amazing
2. Live tiles are amazing, not just because they show data. But because they are resizable so you can customize your layout.
3. The People Hub is a great central resource for all things social. I rarely open the Facebook app, etc.
4. Grouping contacts is really nice. I have several groups pinned to my start screen. And it has all their feeds from Facebook, etc. So I see updates from the 20 people I want to see, not the 500+ in my entire contact list.
5. Outlook/Email integration is great. Not sure if its better than BB10, but since we use Exchange at work, its very nice to have that natural integration.
6. App List, I love the alphabetized app list. Its so much better than having all your apps plastered over various grids of icons. Just pin your most used or favorite apps.
7. Nokia Drive and SkyDrive are great applications.
8. Gaming and Xbox integration is really nice. I love getting Xbox gamer points through phone games.

There is a lot more, but that's a good start...

anon(2523636)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have a personal 925, and I have a BB Z10 because I have the dubious pleasure of running the company Blackberrys, so I have both with me now.

The 925 has the better screen, camera, OS, Nokia's backing, and some truly committed developers. It feels more responsive and the touch experience is better.
I came from iOS to a 920 and then updated to a 925. The phone does everything I want with all the apps I really need (as opposed to millions of apps that could be fun extras, but I don't really miss).
The Z10 has slightly better battery life, has some nice swipe UI features (mostly pinched from Palm), and has an Android emulator (only for repackaged apps that are not up-to-date - its better than Playbook, but not much) which has helped with app availability. The message/notification hub works ok (though crashes a lot if you have more than a couple of accounts). There are also a bunch of annoyances that have been created where BB have tried to be both secure and open at the same time (Balance is a huge cluster****).

My preference is for the 925. But so much of the choice is personal preferences about the usability of the interface.

magicaltastic

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Similar story as oufc_gav, in that I have the 925 for myself, and the Z10 for work. Quite simply, I don't touch the Z10 unless I need to make a phone call for work, but that's down to me preferring the UI on windows phone. I find the 925 to be smoother and more responsive, and the UI to be more intuitive in general.

The BB notification hub is the biggest reason that I have to reboot the Z10, it seems to get stuck frequently showing me that I have new messages. The one thing I prefer in the Z10 is how the calendar is displayed.

Live tiles on WP8 means that I get most of the updates I need at a glance without needing to open apps or check a notification centre.

My company uses Windows 8, and I love the fact that I can link my accounts so the great quality photos automatically transfer to SkyDrive and are available on my PC easily with no syncing required.

Someone has already mentioned Nokia Drive, free offline Satnav is a great thing to have. IMO it's not as good as a dedicated TomTom unit, but it works and it's free!

sevoman

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Had the z10 (several times, bought and returned, each time giving it a new try). Get the 925. The z10 has some nice features, but windows OS is better, smoother and the app future for wp8 is much more bright than it is for bb10. I am back to my ip5, but my next phone will be the 925. I am pretty much done with bb10....sometimes you just have to accept reality and move on.

m_kock

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
After using a BlackBerry Z10 for three months, I just switched back to WP8 today with a Lumia 925. I liked the productivity of the hub on the Z10, but I ran into a lot of glitches using BB10 in general; I think it just needs some more time to mature (I don't know if BlackBerry has that kind of time). I honestly think I was spoiled using a 920 (My previous phone). I took for granted the stability of the OS and the quality of the Apps on Windows Phone 8. When I switched to the Z10 my apps crashed, my notifications wouldn't get marked as read on occasion, I'd have to re-download my contacts randomly every once in awhile, it deleted all my texts when I updated to a newer version of BB10 (My back up didn't even restore them), the quality of the apps were below that of WP8 apps, and the device felt cheap imo. It was nice to be able to side-load android apps to my phone, but they were buggy. This isn't surprising and you have to give BlackBerry credit for even having this feature, but it doesn't change the fact that they ran poorly. I was forced into doing this because the app store was more desolate than the windows phone app store. With BlackBerry looking for a sale as well as shrinking rather growing like Nokia before their purchase, I'd be worried about the future of the company. Who knows, maybe even Microsoft will buy them given they stated they were interested. The biggest sales point of a central hub has been leaked in Windows 8.1 for WP8, so I'll be more than happy with my Windows Phone. I should have never taken the plunge, but I know a lot of people that love their Z10.

PS - If you want a very good condition and unlocked Z10, I'll be putting one up for sale! :winktongue:

Vertego

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
In a similar situation myself.

Been a BB Bold 9700/9900 user for the pat 4 years. Contract is up soon and I'm not 100% convinced about a BB future. Was thinking about the Q10, not the Z10 but only because I have been used to the physical keyboard.

Now persuaded towards the Nokia Lumia 925 - WP8 in preference to the iPhone or Android alternatives. However, reading perhaps too many posts here there seem to be lots of nay-sayers complaining about problem after problem with the WP8 platform. Are there really that many issues or are too many just expecting perfection?

Just how difficult is the transition to totally touch as opposed to physical keyboard?

Windows 8 (soon to be 8.1), WP8 and Office 365 seem to dovetail together so look to be the sensible choice.

Views?

tollonodre

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Just how difficult is the transition to totally touch as opposed to physical keyboard?

Windows 8 (soon to be 8.1), WP8 and Office 365 seem to dovetail together so look to be the sensible choice.

Views?

I came from a BB Torch and waited for them to announce a new Torch for BB10. Instead I ended up with a 925. I spent an hour in the store moving between the Z10, Q10 and the 925. I thought I'd never give up the keyboard (I did like the Q10) but the larger screen of the 925 finally sold me. It makes the virtual keyboard more useable than the Z10 I think and although the Q10 has an almost perfect keyboard, the smallish screen scared me off. All in all, Nokia still makes some nice hardware and the OS is solid, although maybe not as sophisticated as Android/iOS IMO. But it integrates perfect with my work email and Excel and Word work great. Can't say I miss the real keyboard, although to be honest I don't email as much as I used to - so that may cloud my view.

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Now persuaded towards the Nokia Lumia 925 - WP8 in preference to the iPhone or Android alternatives. However, reading perhaps too many posts here there seem to be lots of nay-sayers complaining about problem after problem with the WP8 platform. Are there really that many issues or are too many just expecting perfection?

There really isn't a perfect os nor hardware. Every forum will have their share of complaints from users. It's true you'll see a lot of gripes and that's because people are looking for solutions to what they encounter be it a bug with an app, defect on the unit or whatever they fancy posting as opposed to someone making a post saying "hey I didn't encounter any issues with my phone today". Just remember that when you change os, do keep an open mind. Won't matter if it's WP, ios, android, etc. Each one behaves differently so the features of one may be different from the other. Only then will you enjoy your unit.

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I will say every single person who has the z10, loves it. But also the same thing with the Nokia Lumia 925.

My person opinion is that you should get a Lumia 925 if you are deciding between the two devices. Thou the z10 is the best of the best from blackberry, the Nokia Lumia 925 is a mid-tier phone. They missed on a couple of features to make it a flagship, even so, I find it better than any blackberry for a long term solution.

bigbmc26

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
I use both daily on T-Mobile US. I can tell you both have strengths and weaknesses. I love the 925 for the camera, build quality, the beautiful OS, & it gets better battery life than my Z. My Z10 is 100% better for multitasking, messaging, and it gets way better reception than my 925. My BB is just a workhorse. I usually have my SIM in my Z10 during the week and the 925 on the weekends for the camera.

It pretty much comes down to my 925 being my toy and my Z10 managing my life. I love them both though and would agree that things are tough for BB right now. I hope they figure a way to keep building devices. I love BB10 and their hardware.

bigbmc26

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
The BB notification hub is the biggest reason that I have to reboot the Z10, it seems to get stuck frequently showing me that I have new messages.

The message/notification hub works ok (though crashes a lot if you have more than a couple of accounts).

It's interesting that you guys say this about the hub. I have my corp email through our companies BES, hotmail, gmail, & yahoo all running on my Z10. I've never had any hub issues. It works flawlessly for me. It's them main reason I prefer messaging on the Z to my 925. I just wish it got the battery life of my 925. I company won't allow WP8 devices so I only have the personal emails coming to my Nokia.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I use both daily on T-Mobile US. I can tell you both have strengths and weaknesses. I love the 925 for the camera, build quality, the beautiful OS, & it gets better battery life than my Z. My Z10 is 100% better for multitasking, messaging, and it gets way better reception than my 925. My BB is just a workhorse. I usually have my SIM in my Z10 during the week and the 925 on the weekends for the camera.

It pretty much comes down to my 925 being my toy and my Z10 managing my life. I love them both though and would agree that things are tough for BB right now. I hope they figure a way to keep building devices. I love BB10 and their hardware.

I pretty much agree with you BB10 is a good multitasking OS. But things does have problems like the resource hog of 2GB RAM required etc. which leads to the BB devices being expensive. I wonder if BB will produce WP handsets replacing their BB7 devices. Cause WP doesn't require any beasty specs at all which leads to their WP device being VERY cheap. it is much better than their current BB7 strategy. But in my opinion I think if they were sold low end WP handsets while developing BB10 they'll be in a much better situation.

anon(2523636)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

It's interesting that you guys say this about the hub. I have my corp email through our companies BES, hotmail, gmail, & yahoo all running on my Z10. I've never had any hub issues. It works flawlessly for me. It's them main reason I prefer messaging on the Z to my 925. I just wish it got the battery life of my 925. I company won't allow WP8 devices so I only have the personal emails coming to my Nokia.

It seems to depend how big your mailbox is, and which version of Exchange is running the Activesync.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I recently got the 925 over the Z10 and im glad I picked the 925, its such a sleek and beautiful phone.

you wont be disappointed!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb