$99 ATandT Shootout

$99 ATandT phone poll

• Total voters

MrDanbastic

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Of all the phone forums I frequent, I feel the Lumia members seem to be the most all around knowledgeable and impartial when it comes to cell phones.. My question is which of the current $99.00 ATandT phones would you get and why?

Lumia 900
Sony Ion
Galaxy SII
Moto Atrix
Galaxy Skyocket
Blackberry Torch 9860

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Right now I would say the Skyrocket. A month ago I would say the Lumia 900 but with WP8 coming out on newer devices there is little reason to recommend a Lumia 900 at all. While the Skyrocket is currently out of date Samsung has announced it will be getting an OS upgrade to 4.0 at the least and I wouldn't be surprised to see 4.1 now. Being that its a Galaxy II S with LTE added there is no reason to go with a II S unless you want the bigger display. The lousy battery life with the Sony makes is a major concern when its supposed to be used as a phone. And as for the Blackberry...well I guess if you actually liek and desire blackberry its probably ok. I never liked the Blackberry interface. And as for the Atrix 2 its a solid device but not for $99 I wouldn't get it over the Skyrocket.

Last edited:

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'd probably still get the Lumia 900. I hate Android. I think one phone conspicuously missing from this list is the iPhone 4, which would be the only phone that could really give the Lumia a run IMO.

MrDanbastic

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I'd probably still get the Lumia 900. I hate Android. I think one phone conspicuously missing from this list is the iPhone 4, which would be the only phone that could really give the Lumia a run IMO.

Good looking out.. I dont know how I missed the 4.. My bad..

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Get the L900. Here's how. Buy it from Amazon or Tiger Direct for $0.01 (or nothing) and pit the $199 you should have paid into a phone account. Enjoy your new phone till (at least) November and then if you are compelled to buy a new WP8, sell your L900 on eBay for $100 (net). I just got $100+ for my Tilt 2, and how old was that? Apply the $300 towards the purchase of a spanking new phone off contract.

You should be able to upgrade on contract in 21 months on AT&T, so that's April, 2014. Pretty much a new phone every year.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't touch an Android with a 10-foot-pole after the experiences I've had with them.

In that line up, I'd choose the Lumia 900 of course. Barring that, I'd honestly take the Blackberry if you can believe that. In fact, I would even take a Symbian phone over an Android. At least I can trust Symbian to work properly and not come with a bunch of bloatware that slows the phone down and you need to hack and root the thing to get rid of.

I just have no faith in Android. The only Android worth a crap is the Nexus because it is the only one that comes free of OEM skins and carrier bloatware, but you're not getting a Nexus for $99, it's more like $299.

iPhone, Windows Phone, Blackberry, Meego, Symbian. Whatever. Anything but Android.

MrDanbastic

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't touch an Android with a 10-foot-pole after the experiences I've had with them.

In that line up, I'd choose the Lumia 900 of course. Barring that, I'd honestly take the Blackberry if you can believe that. In fact, I would even take a Symbian phone over an Android. At least I can trust Symbian to work properly and not come with a bunch of bloatware that slows the phone down and you need to hack and root the thing to get rid of.

I just have no faith in Android. The only Android worth a crap is the Nexus because it is the only one that comes free of OEM skins and carrier bloatware, but you're not getting a Nexus for $99, it's more like $299.

iPhone, Windows Phone, Blackberry, Meego, Symbian. Whatever. Anything but Android.

I can believe it.. Blackberry does some things very well.. Texting, talking, and e-mail. Customizing and surfing the internet..Not so good.. In a time where a cellphones merits are based on processor size and customization, Blackberry was going and is going to have a hard time competing. IMO solid devices for the most part..

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'd still go with Windows Phone out of the bunch, so that would be the Lumia 900. Those Android devices may or may not get updates, and if they don't you could head over to XDA and do it yourself most likely later on. I'd say the Galaxy II out of the bunch would have the best chance of getting better support from OEM and XDA, but it's a pretty dated phone that already runs somewhat sluggish from my experience from current software. Blackberry probably works well, but I can't really see any app support at all. So the Lumia 900 is the only one that has pretty strong app support regardless of the WP7.8 fiasco, works smoothly already with what it has, and is a really solid device overall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett