Anyone crack open a 1020 to repair or replace anything?

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I recently came up on a yellow 1020 for $100. I saw it as a steal and picked it up. Unfortunately the owner was not nice enough to alert me of any pending issues. First off, the USB port only works for charging. It will be recognized on my laptop if held in a certain angle, but still bet told that it's not running at full 2.0 speed. The next and hopefully final thing is the secondary mic does not work. Because of this I lose video recording, Cortana and speakerphone use. I found a few places that sell the replacement parts but wanted to get input from the community. Any info would be great. I'd hate to feel that I just lost $100 and need a replacement for my 920 because it is starting to show it's age.

Danjp

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I replaced the flash module for the camera on my 1020, not to hard to disassemble, look for some videos on YouTube, be careful removing the screen and make sure the ribbon cables are securely snapped back on when resembling.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I had mine apart to replace the screen. as mentioned above, its not difficult to do. You need a very skinny screw driver. I bought a kit with my screen and all screwdrivers in the kit were to big to fit in the hole to let go of the screen. Other than that it was straight forward.

nav070887

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I want to post a link to a you tube video, but the forum wont let because this is my first post?
but anyway go to youtube and type 1020 diassembly, and you find a video by LE55ONS.
watch this video. It does a good job explaining how to disassemble and replace parts.
I broke the sim card pins on my 1020 which was soldered to the circuit board. i ended up buying a new simcard holder, disassembled the phone, desoldered the sim card holder and soldered back a new one.
but in your case its easy to replace mic assembly or usb connector assembly.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
As others have said, it's not too hard to open a 1020.

These Nokia phones require torx head screwdrivers - make you get those up front, along with the other parts you need, or it will frustrate you by prolonging the repair time.

I haven't looked, though - is the second mic integral to the board, or is it a plug-and-play swap part? The latter is much easier than the former.

Edit: this may be self-evident, but try another charging cable as well for the computer connection. You may not need to replace the port.

Bryon Burns

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I just recently replaced the USB port on my 1020. Apparently the flex cable inside loses connection with the solder blobs over time causing intermittent connection issues. Let me say getting the phone opened is the easiest part. However, the USB port is glued in, AND recessed under the speaker shroud that is also glued to the backing. It was the most difficult replacement I had to do as I snapped the old port out, scraped all the old glue, then had to "stretch" the backing to fit in the new port without breaking or stressing the plastic, not to mention the flex cable on the USB port is fragile, almost ruined the new one getting it in. The primary MIC is stuffed in with the speaker. The second noise canceling MIC is at the top connected to the headphone jack daughterboard, and is very easy to access.

Good luck on your repair.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I want to post a link to a you tube video, but the forum wont let because this is my first post?
but anyway go to youtube and type 1020 diassembly, and you find a video by LE55ONS.
watch this video. It does a good job explaining how to disassemble and replace parts.
I broke the sim card pins on my 1020 which was soldered to the circuit board. i ended up buying a new simcard holder, disassembled the phone, desoldered the sim card holder and soldered back a new one.
but in your case its easy to replace mic assembly or usb connector assembly.

I did recall seeing some videos by the same guy LE55ON5 and looks pretty legit and straight forward. I will most likely order the parts and do it myself.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
No, the phone was not stolen. It was a clean sale done at a local AT&T store with the IMEI checked. I already got it unlocked.

Everyone else, thank you for the info. I hope to have the phone repaired within the next 2 weeks

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
It might be useless for you, but if the issues don't seem to be down to physical or water damage, the manufacturer's warranty may cover the repair. Again, it might not be relevant, the damage you've described seems extensive enough to guess that it was inflicted, but if there's no evidence of it being dropped, bashed, soaked or opened, then there's the possibility that MS might repair or replace the phone for you, free of cost?

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I already went to the MS Store in Century City. They run the IMEI to see when it was first sold. It was already past the 1 year manufacturer warranty so they couldn't do anything. Yes it does show in a spot where it was dropped but nothing major. I can deal with the jiggly USB port. What i want more is the Headphone Jack and mic to work since I do listen to alot of Music and I intent to take video as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss