Anyone else holding back buying an (expensive) WP8 device?

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I was listening to Windows Weekly and it seems like Microsoft wasn't very straight forward about the question whether or not all phones will get an update to W10.

I understand that what they said could mean anything from "only upcoming flagships can be upgraded" to "even the 520 will be upgraded if the operator plays balls".

Personally I think they might draw the line depending on SoC and ram. But before they don't clarify, I will not invest in a new phone (930/1520).

Bad but possible would be if they decide that SD 800 is the minimum...

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
They said "the vast majority" will get the upgrade. In WP the vast majority is 2 cores/512 ram, so anything above that should be OK.

They also talked about carriers, probably carriers explains the minority that won't get it.

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
They said "the vast majority" will get the upgrade. In WP the vast majority is 2 cores/512 ram, so anything above that should be OK.

They also talked about carriers, probably carriers explains the minority that won't get it.

Yes. Probably and should. They should make a clear statement. Probably better than risking the alienation of customers.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I was listening to Windows Weekly and it seems like Microsoft wasn't very straight forward about the question whether or not all phones will get an update to W10.

I understand that what they said could mean anything from "only upcoming flagships can be upgraded" to "even the 520 will be upgraded if the operator plays balls".

Personally I think they might draw the line depending on SoC and ram. But before they don't clarify, I will not invest in a new phone (930/1520).

Bad but possible would be if they decide that SD 800 is the minimum...

I find it baffling that you heard that line on Windows Weekly, but apparently became suddenly deaf when they said that Microsoft was talking about the carriers not updating them, not them making the update available.

For example, "most" WP got/will get 8.1, but the 810 on T-Mobile isn't. It's that simple.

Plus, I find the "SD 800 minimum" statement a little absurd. That would mean that they from this point on, they would only be in the high end game.

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Well, it's around 49:00. Ms said most of them will. Everything else seems to be open to interpretation. That it's only about the carriers is Paul's interpretation, bit we can't be sure because they answered a clear question in a bizarre way, as Paul put it.

All I want is clarity before I invest ~400?.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm kinda holding back. I've been wanting either the Icon or the Lumia 830. I'll probably give in and get one of these two before the end of the year.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Would love to get the 930 with the free wireless pack but holding off hoping the release a version with at&t's lte frequencies. An microsd port would be nice too.

Jakez98

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm planning to hold onto my Lumia 1020. Seeing Microsoft not announcing any plans for a 1020 or 1520 successor makes me think that they have better hardware and software combo which are still being worked on.

The 1030 could very well come with a SD805 with Windows 10 to support a bunch of performance and feature improvements.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
It's quite possible that they just don't know at this point at where they are in the development cycle as it pertains to phones.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to hold on to my 920 untill March or so. Hopefully a real replacement from Microsoft Mobile will be ready.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping to update my Samsung Focus and HTC Titan. Sure... neither got WP 7.8... but I just KNOW that they'll get W10!!
:excited:
:winktongue:
:grin:
:grincry:
:sweaty:
:unhappysweat:
:cry:
​:crying:

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Probably and should. They should make a clear statement. Probably better than risking the alienation of customers.
I agree, bit its too soon. They know I they say one thing and it changes at all it could blow up. Even 10 for enterprise, yes we can get a preview but most have acknowledged there will be major UI changes and improvements before release. Its hard to be patient but time will tell. I believe most of the phones will be updated because they want their base happy and 10 has to be able to run on minimum hardware so they can remain very competitive in the budget market which is very important.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)