Are Nokia here maps & navigation really as good as its marketed to be ?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I think its better then Google. But on my 920 I use Gmaps+ which uses Here Maps, has off line maps etc. But also with some Google features. Its really the best of both worlds although the GPS location I find is poor. Here Drive Navigation is way better the. Google too. I use this combo.

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Offline maps are an absolute charm to use. I use that feature regularly. Its definitely better than the competition. Live sight is also an added bonus. But to be honest sometimes I do look stupid while going round standing in the same place exploring. But hell who cares.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
The one day I tried using Nokia maps to walk in downtown Houston, I swore never to use it again. For almost 10 minutes, GPS wouldn't lock in. When it finally did, it wouldn't get its orientation right. It'll tell me to head in one direction and a few minutes later tell me to head in the opposite direction. Tried with my iPhone the next day and it was perfect. Also, I can't believe Nokia still hasn't figured out a way to make this app reduce the volume of music streaming in the background instead of cutting it out completely.

If here is insufficient then what Google offline maps do you recommend from the Windows store ?

Jarip

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
How do I change routes in the Drive/Maps apps?

It is in settings (faster, shorter or balanced) and you can change it before you click "start" navigation ...

I have had great experience with Nokia Here OFFLINE maps during my travels - yeah, I could not travel without it any longer ...

About Nokia Here Drive+, it has done job when I needed it and it is really good now ... but it seems that it was not easy job to make it for WP

anzi

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Coming from android, and as a bicyclist I really miss Google Maps. At least in Finland Here Maps only has data of walking lanes that are next to driving lanes. Where Google maps seem to have every little path. For car navigation it's fine.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
A couple of days ago I noticed that here maps gave me the internal map of a mall in long island - new York detailing elevaitors, stairs, restrooms etc. with the ability to choose floors!

That was insane as I was look for a Microsoft store, found it, EXACTLY where it is INSIDE the mall!!!!! that's really insane! TBH

Jarip

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
A couple of days ago I noticed that here maps gave me the internal map of a mall in long island - new York detailing elevaitors, stairs, restrooms etc. with the ability to choose floors!

That was insane as I was look for a Microsoft store, found it, EXACTLY where it is INSIDE the mall!!!!! that's really insane! TBH

Yeah, I saw it too ... it is a nice help for big malls

CGA1

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
i was in spain on holiday over xmas. having been used to google maps for the past few years on my previous droid phones, i was unsure just how i'd get on with here maps on my 920 but i can never see myself going back to gmaps now. i'll list my loves below

the offline feature is superb. this really is underated. much better than the caching thingy gmaps has.
walking navigation w/ compass is fantastic
fast accurate gps tracking
sync your content on a web browser HERE - City and Country Maps - Driving Directions - Satellite Views - Routes with your phone eg collections
navigation is very clear and easily readable
livesight integration to see what is around you

Great, didn't know about this, thanks for the heads up.

Sakitumi

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Answer: Yes. I never got stuck or lost while on my motor bike from Bucharest, Romania to Ulan Bator, Mongolia. I've passed and driven through a lot of remote areas and never had any problems finding my route.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

Where is this feature?

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Its just there integrated in maps. This feature has been around since quite sometime. What was more amazing was that it works for some select malls in India as well. Mind you, only registered shops are shown. Which in a big mall is almost all shops.

Jarip

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Where is this feature?

Just try by searching some local mall ... then zoom in and you can start to see the names of shops ... and hold you finger on that mall, so the floors will pop up on a right side (then you can chose a floor, some you are looking) ....

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
It really depends on where you are. I live in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio in the US and HERE works flawlessly offline (except it needs to go online if you want traffic updates, but I never use that). It's very accurate and it's free, so I really love HERE Maps!

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Never had any issues with the Maps/Navigation here in USA. I depended on the offline Here Maps while I was in Europe and always gave me the correct directions.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Also in the Netherlands and Belgium I can confirm they really are excellent.

I don't even use my old car nav anymore. Prefer Nokia. Very accurate, very detailed, and if you are online you have the traffic and speed signs aswel.

As answer to OP's question, very simply : "yes"

dougplanet

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
My experience in Canada, mainly Toronto and the surrounding area, is that Here is on par with Google Maps, and better than Apple Maps. When in a car with friends, we like to test the navigation, and we all have different platforms. It's more or less a wash. Oddly, on multiple occasions, Apple maps would tell us to turn the wrong way only on the last turn, even though it displayed the proper direction on screen, though the last time was a while ago.

In Here maps mall navigation, the Microsoft Store in Yorkdale doesn't appear, which is weird.

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
HERE Drive+ has been great on Long Island - have only experienced two hiccups, once in Patchogue and once near LaGuardia airport. The GPS interface needs voice input and the same predictive typing results as Maps though. Overall I think you'll be pleased.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre