Battery draining rapidly after 8.1 dev preview install

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I used a trial an error approach and the ONLY thing that resolved the high battery drain was switching my Gmail account to manual sync (30 min or 2hr intervals didn't help). I barely use my phone, luck if it's a phone call a day but it was draining at ~20% per hour with nothing but Glance running.I tried Cortana, IE Sync setting, Battery Saver...nothing made a difference. Finally switched my Gmail account to Manual sync and it's back to normal again 5 to 6% per hour drain and I don't have to charge my phone twice per day.
Definitely something wrong in the Gmail sync with my phone (Lumia 928), disabling all the little extras like scan for Flights didn't make a difference either. On another note, Gmail performance has always been awful on my WP. I open a message and it takes forever to download 68kb on a super fast WiFi connection, Hotmail is lightning quick. Is this Google and/or Microsoft tinkering to slow it down?

A possible solution is to just abandon Gmail syncing. Have it forwarded to the Outlook email account that was created when you set up your phone.

Michael Dzikowski

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Lumia 929 (Verizon Icon) and have installed dev preview...I can literally not use the phone, with battery saver mode on and the battery will drain to nothing in 4 hours.

Did you ever find a fix?

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a 930 and have Cyan + latest DP. I also had pretty solid drain, at least I had the impression it is more than should be. I turned off location services and since then the battery life has been extremely good. I believe location services is the problem.

Ashutosh Chauhan1

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
i'm also having a huge battery drain problem with my Lumia 925 after install the 8.1 dev preview.

the back of the phone above the camera lens is constantly hot and i lose about 1-2% of battery ever couple of minutes.

i've turned off Cortana, turned off wifi & bluetooth and disabled some background tasks but nothing helped.

I don't know what to do. The phone was working fine before the 8.1 dev preview. :(

I updated my phone to windows phone 8.1.14219.341 dev preview.
But my phone worked fine for a couple of days.
Then yesterday I updated the battery saver app from the store version 1.0.15075.83 .
Then the phone started losing power at the rate of 1-2% per minute and won't last for three hours.
It may the problem of the update but surely it is of latest version of battery saver.

And with both of them its killing me.
Plz update both the battery saver and phone update.
And also the extras+info app

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I updated as well, but not to dev preview. To the released version. 8.10.142032.306 Lumina Denim on an 822. It's chewing through batteries. I disabled checking for new mail.

Ivaylo Badinov

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Try to discharge completely (try several times until it no longer switches on) and charge back to 100%. It usually fixes the extreme drain issues.

It is not because it uses more power but because the battery reports wrong battery levels. Dicharge/Charge cycle fixes the levels.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Try to discharge completely (try several times until it no longer switches on) and charge back to 100%. It usually fixes the extreme drain issues.

It is not because it uses more power but because the battery reports wrong battery levels. Dicharge/Charge cycle fixes the levels.

It's easier just to turn the phone off for 30 seconds, no charger attached, then turn back on.

NOTHING fixes this discharge bug forever, just for a random time from hours to days. Discharging the battery will do nothing except add wear to the battery.

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I am going to blow it away, format the SD card, and use the nokia tool see if that helps. Another friend of my has the same phone and her's got better with 8.1 with battery life.

ChrisZA

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
For me the fix was disabling captcha in google mail.
http://www.google.com/a/your_domain.com/UnlockCaptcha
Symptom: my gmail account was always in sync mode, downloading images in mail just stalled, and manually syncing took forever.
After this fix, my phone battery is back up to 2 days (1520, denim gdr1) vs 1 day at best.
I had the issue for well on a month before I found the fix
After the fix: whenever I open mail I see "last synced 2 mins ago" or similar, mail images download immediately, attachments too, and I never find mail stuck in syncing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven