Battery Life After Year

sguy156

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone noticed lower battery life on 1520 after a year . Before I used to get 12-18 hrs now its down to 7 .
How can I find out how many battery cycles this phone has left...

Diego Ceccacci

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Wow, 12-18 hours is very short life for a 3400 mha. I charge mine every 2 days (sometimes it has still 40%+)
I take this opportunity for ask a question about the battery: mine seems to discharge fast when it has 100% (for example, it takes 1h to go from 100 to 97 but almost 1.5h to go from 97 to 96), is that a problem i can resolve?

Skulls138

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Wow, 12-18 hours is very short life for a 3400 mha. I charge mine every 2 days (sometimes it has still 40%+)
I take this opportunity for ask a question about the battery: mine seems to discharge fast when it has 100% (for example, it takes 1h to go from 100 to 97 but almost 1.5h to go from 97 to 96), is that a problem i can resolve?

I've noticed that in several of my Lumias. It has to do with the battery charging slowly from 95-100. Some kind of trickling method to not overcharge the battery.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

Its exactly the same with my 1520 so not unusual I think. Earlier models (1020, 925, 920, 820 etc) seem to have a different profile. All those handsets (in my experience) would sit at 100% for hours before dropping fairly steadily. My 735 acts the same way as the 1520...it will stay at 100% for maybe 20 minutes and then drop a bit before steadying. Its probably more honest but can provoke 'Battery drain anxiety' I think. Overall, the battery life is much better though. My 1520 has been used fairly heavily today (few calls, periodic browsing and texting) and I am still at 73% after 13 hours. That's not too shabby in my book. Still beats anything else I've ever used for screen on time. Only the Huawei Ascend Mate 2 I have gets close and that has a 4100 mah battery with a lesser screen resolution.

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Mine went from 100% to 89 % in 2 hours and discharge rate is -3.0% per hour ...

It is not a usual discharge rate for this phone's battery. Your battery isn't even that old for not holding it's charge!
So you should really choose which apps you want running in the background, and also check their battery usage, it might have to do with
a bad written app.

On a lumia 630 I found that survivalcraft app, was consuming 6% per hour and the worst part was that battery saver won't even show this app's usage.
After deleting it, everything when back to normal.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
12-18 hours sounds like heavy usage. The more you charge, the shorter it'll last. I charge mine every few days.

The charging that shortens the battery life applies to Ni-Cad and Ni-Mh batteries. L-ion batteries which are standard in phones now do not suffer from that issue known as a memory effect. L-ion batteries are best kept charged often (not saying to plug it in all day) and running it down actually reduces the battery's performance.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Witness is correct. 100%. Read up on it, there is plenty of technical data out. Little and often. Draining the battery right down will not help and will stress the cell more.

Diego Ceccacci

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
So is it better recharge it everyday? Dont you risk ruin your battery doing that? Isit better kept it charged or charge it every 2 days when it is 40%?

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Frequency is irrelevant. Its the total cycles that count. I top up every day even though I don't need to with my 1520 rarely dropping below 70% - struggle to use more than 30% in a single day.

avchdman55

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
So you think charge everyday is better? I tought it count as a cycle

if your phone goes down to 50%, and you recharge it, it counts as half a cycle. if you do it again, you now charged one full cycle. if it goes down 25% and you recharge, doing this 4 times equals one cycle. so basically, its not how many times you put your phone in the charge. its best to keep your phone in the charger when you use it, because this reduces your cycle usage.

Diego Ceccacci

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
if your phone goes down to 50%, and you recharge it, it counts as half a cycle. if you do it again, you now charged one full cycle. if it goes down 25% and you recharge, doing this 4 times equals one cycle. so basically, its not how many times you put your phone in the charge. its best to keep your phone in the charger when you use it, because this reduces your cycle usage.
Ty for the info. I think ill keep recharging every 48 h then

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Ars has a quick write up about l-ion batteries (which I admittedly don't follow).

Ask Ars: The best way to use a lithium-ion battery, redux | Ars Technica

I usually charge when my phone is around 40-60%. I don't charge overnight though. I'll charge before or at work.

I used to get 2-day use fairly regularly but my usage has jumped up considerably in the past year. I do a lot more video streaming and photos. And I've always been a heavy music listener. Now I top off in the morning more than I used to.

Occasionally I'll misjudge my use and drop to 20% but an outlet is never far away. I don't think I've ever gone below 15%.

Kavindu Thrimanne

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Well when you charge, the device gets heated a bit. So after you unplug the charger, due to the heat left from charging, your phone might discharge a bit faster. After awhile the device will lose the heat and the battery will discharge slowly.

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I just don't get how you guys get 2 days use. Every time I charge my phone and take it off the charger at 100% it says on average 18hrs left on stand by. Every time. Is my battery faulty?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb